The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Still living in Odessa, My new scooter Chopper build  (Read 1852 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Still living in Odessa, My new scooter Chopper build
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2022, 01:08:28 AM »

Cool project Justadude but with only 125cc you're not going to be able to burn any rubber. That engine is around the size of a 5hp for a push mower.

I agree. For my next project I want to build a Dniper or Ural 750cc motorcycle. You probably know but they are a sort of copy of a prewar BMW flat twin. I want to put a really big back tire on it, maybe 255mm or more. I'm thinking of ways to do that. They are shaft drive which makes a big tire a challenge. I'll use a non sidecar model or take off the sidecar if I can't find a good solo.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2022, 01:12:28 AM »
OMG I'm a mere mortal! That is f*** cool. More deets on the plane please!! Lycoming engine? Tail dragger? Is it the first plane you've built? What country are you in?

It's a Zenair Ltd. CH-801-SD STOL bush plane. Tricycle gear (riding on tundra tires) 4-seat high wing. Kind of ugly thing but it'll take off in about 50 feet (got leading edge slats as well as vortex generators). Hoping to install the Lycoming IO-540 (and a constant-speed prop) for about 310 HP but haven't gotten there yet. Yeah, first fixed wing project, but I got lots of help. I'm based in Franklin, PA at KFKL (Venango Regional). Are you interested in aviation JAD?

I'm interested in anything with an internal combustion engine 😅
I like cars more, but airplanes are so much more impressive from an engineering standpoint
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2022, 01:38:55 AM »
Is that double rear wheel standard or something you've done, JAD?

I wish more of you guys would share your projects.

Cars, houses, planes, boats, photography, writing or music... whatever! Beats the hell out of arguing all the time.

Pretty impressive you're building yourself a dentist killer, LotD. That must take some skill.

My next project looks to be refurbishing an industrial unit, not as interesting as planes or bikes.

What's an industrial unit? The dual rear wheels is my idea. I wanted to put on a single wide rear wheel, but I got frustrated trying to find the parts I needed, given the language barrier and all. So I went this route

It will certainly cause some attention...
Will it be legalized for use on the road, or???
I think not entirely. I have a registration "coupon". It used to be legal for 49cc bikes. People got them to match their VIN for bigger ones. It's kind of dubious but might be enough to keep me out of the Gulag. I might try to register it legitimately. But I'm lacking documents. It will probably be much more difficult after the modifications

It may become a magnet for the police pension fund.... :laugh:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Registration