The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn  (Read 847 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:43:00 PM »
We all missed the opportunity to mention the birthday of a very famous Russian back on December 11. So here it is.

"No one can accuse the great Russian writer of being an advocate of violence, aggression or war. His experiences, so brutally and so vividly recounted in his various semi-autobiographical novels dissuade any dispassionate reader from that conclusion. He had seen the open jaws of bitter Hell, and that Hell attempted not only to swallow him but destroy him and his soul totally. That the Soviet Hell—the Gulag—did not succeed, and that he emerged stronger for it, a man of resilient and unquestioned Faith, is a remarkable example of how true religious conviction and Hope can indeed overcome even the worst trials, both physical and spiritual."

https://www.unz.com/article/aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-ukraine-and-the-neoconservatives/

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 08:09:47 PM »
Interesting recently I have been rereading A. Solzhenitsyn. He was equally critical of the Soviet Union as the West in particular The United States. In 1978 when he was released by Soviet authorities and fled to American he gave a speech at Harvard. It was astonishing but also sobering. I will try to dig up a transcript and post it here.

Thank you Contrarian.

Perhaps I have posted this before but here is a song from the English group Renaissance about the Nobel prize winner.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:40 PM »
I am astonished about the fact that someone on this forum has mentioned Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
The only name that can be mentioned in  same sentence  with the association of Solzhenitsyn  is Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 12:58:17 AM »
I am astonished about the fact that someone on this forum has mentioned Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
The only name that can be mentioned in  same sentence  with the association of Solzhenitsyn  is Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Why would you say that? Don't you think that we are literate enough?  :laugh:

Hopefully you like both of them, although to be honest I haven't read much of Dostoevsky but of course know about him.

On the other hand one of my favorite books is by Solzhenitsyn and I intend to purchase at least a couple more.

Speaking of his speech at Harvard, it is touched upon in the link to the article which I posted. His warning to the USA has come true and it's only going to get worse.

I'm actually surprised that you want to stay in the US at this point! If I were Russian I would be thinking very seriously of leaving.  :coffeeread:

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »

Hopefully you like both of them, although to be honest I haven't read much of Dostoevsky but of course know about him.

On the other hand one of my favorite books is by Solzhenitsyn and I intend to purchase at least a couple more.

Speaking of his speech at Harvard, it is touched upon in the link to the article which I posted. His warning to the USA has come true and it's only going to get worse.

I'm actually surprised that you want to stay in the US at this point! If I were Russian I would be thinking very seriously of leaving.  :coffeeread:

It’s not about being illiterate. Its about interests.
You can learn about any country from inside and from outside.
You can learn about Russia from outside by visiting it.
You can know more about Russians from inside, just reading Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn, without visiting the country.
I can go back to Russia at any time.
I still have my house in the downtown of a big city.
I don’t think I will do it.
Why? Russia is a dangerous country. You will learn it from day one when you visit it.
From all counties I visited, only India is more dangerous.
The difference is that Indians love Americans, and Russians absolutely hate them.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 08:09:35 AM »

It’s not about being illiterate. Its about interests.
You can know more about Russians from inside, just reading Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn, without visiting the country.
I don’t think I will do it.
Why? Russia is a dangerous country. You will learn it from day one when you visit it.
The difference is that Indians love Americans, and Russians absolutely hate them.

My impression is that Russian cities are safer than many American cities. Could you elaborate on this?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 08:40:26 AM »

It's not about being illiterate. Its about interests.
I don't think I will do it.

My impression is that Russian cities are safer than many American cities. Could you elaborate on this?

Several aspects do contribute in poor safety.
First is poor sanitary condition compared to the US.
Second, no guarantee that you will have a good health care if you get sick.
Be ready to be trashed by people when they learn that you are American.
They will enjoy your misery.
Last but not least, police is so powerful and low is so vague, so you can be arrested for not clear stamp in your documents.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
There was no disrespect regarding posting the music link. It is in my opinion a beautiful and moving tribute to A. Solzhenitsyn.

While I can admire and respect Dostoevsky I find the writing for lack of better word, dense. By this I mean you need to chew on each sentence and consider every paragraph.

While I have read N. Gogol, and M. Bulgavov as well a bit of of Tolstoy my favourite Russian author is I. Turgenev. His writing is amazing! Compact, insightful and colorful.

I have seen A. Chekhov, The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard. That was surreal in that it was done in Dutch.

Just my two kopeks.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 09:18:08 AM »
There was no disrespect regarding posting the music link. It is in my opinion a beautiful and moving tribute to A. Solzhenitsyn.

While I can admire and respect Dostoevsky I find the writing for lack of better word, dense. By this I mean you need to chew on each sentence and consider every paragraph.

While I have read N. Gogol, and M. Bulgavov as well a bit of of Tolstoy my favourite Russian author is I. Turgenev. His writing is amazing! Compact, insightful and colorful.

I have seen A. Chekhov, The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard. That was surreal in that it was done in Dutch.

Just my two kopeks.

I don't recall anyone complaining about the music link, it was welcome as far as my opinion.

Just curious what is your opinion in regards to Orchid saying that Russia is a very dangerous country and that they hate Americans?

I really think your attitude and how you respond to different people can help a person to get along in a different country. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 09:28:04 AM »

Just my two kopeks.

I don't recall anyone complaining about the music link, it was welcome as far as my opinion.

Just curious what is your opinion in regards to Orchid saying that Russia is a very dangerous country and that they hate Americans?

I really think your attitude and how you respond to different people can help a person to get along in a different country. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

While I have not been in Russia in ten years, I suspect there is some truth to Orchids standpoint. Perhaps you will find this attitude more prevalent in the major cities where there is I understand non stop anti-American news. Most likely on the steppes you will find the average Ivan to be cautious but welcoming to a foreigner. Even a Dutchmen!

The odd thing Russia is barely on the American radar and you rarely read news in the mass media about Russia.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 10:11:15 AM »

I thought you loved me Orchid. (((

I blame the increasing hate between people's on Democrats. Putin is not an angel but Democrats been spreading additional propaganda Russia is to be blamed on everything.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »

I blame the increasing hate between people's on Democrats. Putin is not an angel but Democrats been spreading additional propaganda Russia is to be blamed on everything.

I haven't seen you here in a long time, welcome back Billy.

And you got it right.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »

Of course, I love you, BillyB. Never doubt it.  :) I am both Russian and American.
Yes, Putin is far from being an angel.
I noticed he brought more order to the country, still… no democracy.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 12:26:59 PM »

Just my two kopeks.

That’s an impressive list.
For Russian woman, to have a partner like you are is a sheer luck.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 08:17:26 AM »
Below is a link to the speech that A. Solzhenitsyn gave in 1978 at Harvard. It is well worth reading even if it is over 40 years old.

https://www.solzhenitsyncenter.org/a-world-split-apart

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 05:19:53 AM »
Quote from: BillyB link=topic=29723.msg528555#msg528555 date=1642353075
I had a couple of bets with people that we'd get Biden out by the end of 2021. It's taken longer because they're fighting it and got lots of people in the Justice department compromised and the Republicans are in bed with the Democrats. Shoot me a PM so I can send you something.
It's why I'm here (even though I thought I would drop a few posts on my way out). Done and I'm out.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
Quote from: BillyB link=topic=29723.msg528555#msg528555 date=1642353075
I had a couple of bets with people that we'd get Biden out by the end of 2021. It's taken longer because they're fighting it and got lots of people in the Justice department compromised and the Republicans are in bed with the Democrats. Shoot me a PM so I can send you something.

It's why I'm here (even though I thought I would drop a few posts on my way out). Done and I'm out.

Did BillyB pay up?

Registration