The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian tourist visa question  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Brian275

• Spouses Country: Russia
Russian tourist visa question
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:27:20 PM »
Perhaps someone can help me out with this. I have a Russian fiance and we have an underage child together. (also a Russian citizen). And I want to get a multi-year Russian tourist visa (I'm an American and would be applying in the U.S.). I would stay with them in their apartment, but also travel around Russia some, as well. But, the consulate & Russian visa centre's website says: "Please note that according to the law visiting friends or family in Russia is a private purpose and in this case you must apply for a private visa".

I'm not exactly sure what this means. I have to get a private visa if the only thing I want to do is visit them? Or even if I also plan to travel around Russia? Of course, we will take trips around Russia some of the weeks I'm there. I hope, because of this, I am allowed to apply for a TOURIST visa instead. From my understanding, getting a Private Visa is much more difficult and takes much more time. Thanks for any help!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Russian tourist visa question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:24:58 AM »
Perhaps someone can help me out with this. I have a Russian fiance and we have an underage child together. (also a Russian citizen). And I want to get a multi-year Russian tourist visa (I'm an American and would be applying in the U.S.). I would stay with them in their apartment, but also travel around Russia some, as well. But, the consulate & Russian visa centre's website says: "Please note that according to the law visiting friends or family in Russia is a private purpose and in this case you must apply for a private visa".

I'm not exactly sure what this means. I have to get a private visa if the only thing I want to do is visit them? Or even if I also plan to travel around Russia? Of course, we will take trips around Russia some of the weeks I'm there. I hope, because of this, I am allowed to apply for a TOURIST visa instead. From my understanding, getting a Private Visa is much more difficult and takes much more time. Thanks for any help!

A private visa is very easy to get.. I think it is valid for 3 years..

I have heard of people being refused a visa and entry into Russia on a tourist visa when they have family living in Russia..I mean your basically visiting family? So its a private visa.

Aaaa your not married yet? Not exactly sure then..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Guile

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 05:28:25 AM »
Americans can get a 3 year tourist visa. You just have to leave the country every 6 months, could be for a day.

Offline Brian275

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
You're right, not married yet.

Offline yankee

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »
Every time that I have visited Russia, before and after marriage, was with a private visa.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
Every time that I have visited Russia, before and after marriage, was with a private visa.

They have simplified the private visa now.. so pretty easy to make with little documents..

Offline mitspilot

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »

They have simplified the private visa now.. so pretty easy to make with little documents..
Does the private visa grant essentially the same privileges as the tourist visa? I think I understand that we're supposed to get a private visa if we're visiting family and/or not going solely as a tourist, but are they essentially the same as far as what you can do with them?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »

Does the private visa grant essentially the same privileges as the tourist visa? I think I understand that we're supposed to get a private visa if we're visiting family and/or not going solely as a tourist, but are they essentially the same as far as what you can do with them?

Yeah pretty well Im not sure how it works in the US but for example the UK tourist visa will only give entry into Russia twice (Though I think that is about to change) UK private visa gives multiple entry for 12 months and stay as long as you want in the 12 month.

Probably for the US it makes no difference and both your able to do the same, but I have heard of people being refused a tourist visa or entry into Russia cos they got a kid in Russia and should of gone the Private visa way..I think tourist and private visa for the US is 3 years, basically you can live here with that , we got a neighbour next floor up who does exactly that..

Offline Brian275

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it! And I'm glad to hear that it's an easier process (at least for those from the UK. I would think so for US citizens, too).

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Does the private visa grant essentially the same privileges as the tourist visa? I think
I understand that we're supposed to get a private visa if we're visiting family and/or
not going solely as a tourist, but are they essentially the same as far as what you
can do with them?

They have eliminated tourist visa's (at least temporarily). HOWEVER, they have private
visa's for those with family in Russia. They are not as easy to get these days in the USA.

I have had my application sent back to me because NO SH!T comma's were in the
wrong f#cking place!!! !

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 08:20:13 PM »
Does the private visa grant essentially the same privileges as the tourist visa? I think
I understand that we're supposed to get a private visa if we're visiting family and/or
not going solely as a tourist, but are they essentially the same as far as what you
can do with them?

They have eliminated tourist visa's (at least temporarily). HOWEVER, they have private
visa's for those with family in Russia. They are not as easy to get these days in the USA.

wrong f#cking place!!! !

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I guess they gotta earn their keep.

I just got a visa through TravelDocs.com. I am 95% sure I applied for and received a tourist visa.  It took a week and a half from application. It is good for 3 years.

With your multiple trips to FSU, 2TB, you know 100x more than I. I'm just relating my recent experience.

Offline 2tallbill

Russian tourist visa question
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »

I finally got my multi year private visa. I was frustrated when I wrote my
previous post on this.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline justadude

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 08:04:04 AM »
can do with them?

What was the total cost? Can you briefly outline the steps?

wrong f#cking place!!! !

I just got a visa through TravelDocs.com. I am 95% sure I applied for and received a tourist visa.  It took a week and a half from application. It is good for 3 years.

With your multiple trips to FSU, 2TB, you know 100x more than I. I'm just relating my recent experience.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 11:34:29 AM »
JAD-

I'll reply here as your question asked in the other thread was about getting a Russian Visa. As I mentioned above, I used travel docs.com to assist with the process of getting my visa. They helped me complete my application by making sure I answered all the questions correctly and didn't miss anything. Then, they had me print off my application, sign it and overnight it to them with my passport. They took over from there. They took my passport and paperwork to the Russian embassy in Houston TX and completed the application process. About a week later, I was approved. The Russian embassy added the visa stamp to my passport and travel docs.com picked it up and overnighted it to me. It was very easy.

Offline justadude

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »
JAD-

I'll reply here as your question asked in the other thread was about getting a Russian Visa. As I mentioned above, I used travel docs.com to assist with the process of getting my visa. They helped me complete my application by making sure I answered all the questions correctly and didn't miss anything. Then, they had me print off my application, sign it and overnight it to them with my passport. They took over from there. They took my passport and paperwork to the Russian embassy in Houston TX and completed the application process. About a week later, I was approved. The Russian embassy added the visa stamp to my passport and travel docs.com picked it up and overnighted it to me. It was very easy.

Thanks for that. How much did you pay them? Did you pay up front? In my case I guess they would send it to the embassy in Kiev. I don't know if that would be complicated by the political tension. I guess I can apply and see what happens.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 06:26:18 PM »
I paid $382 for their expedited, premium service. This included FedEx Priority Overnight shipping for the return documents. You can do it for less, I think their base price is $159.

Traveldocs appears to only work with the US Embassies in Houston, Washington and New York. You would have to send your passport to them and they walk it over to the Embassy and file the application on your behalf. I don't think they work with foreign US embassy office, but I could be wrong.

I don't see why you couldn't file here in the US. You don't have to personally appear. I am assuming you are a US citizen. The downside to doing it here in the US is the added time and expense of sending your passport and documents to and from.

Give traveldocs a call and they can tell you how it all works out.

Good luck!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 10:09:40 PM »
can do with them?

wrong f#cking place!!! !

Another victim of the Oxford comma’s!

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline justadude

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 01:04:31 AM »
I paid $382 for their expedited, premium service. This included FedEx Priority Overnight shipping for the return documents. You can do it for less, I think their base price is $159.

Traveldocs appears to only work with the US Embassies in Houston, Washington and New York. You would have to send your passport to them and they walk it over to the Embassy and file the application on your behalf. I don't think they work with foreign US embassy office, but I could be wrong.

I don't see why you couldn't file here in the US. You don't have to personally appear. I am assuming you are a US citizen. The downside to doing it here in the US is the added time and expense of sending your passport and documents to and from.

Give traveldocs a call and they can tell you how it all works out.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info. I'm not inclined to send my passport to the US from Eastern Europe. I will try to find a similar service that can do it here. Your information is helpful! When are you planning to visit?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 05:28:37 AM »
Perhaps you should contact Stirlitz in Odessa. He served in the army at border crossings and knows the ins and outs well.

Also is a motor head. He is not so active on RUA presently.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 05:42:39 AM »
I'm not inclined to send my passport to the US from Eastern Europe.

I'm sure it would be fine if you used Fedex or a similar international courier. There's no customs scrutiny on documents.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 08:09:56 AM »
I'm not inclined to send my passport to the US from Eastern Europe.

I'm sure it would be fine if you used Fedex or a similar international courier. There's no customs scrutiny on documents.

:-X

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
I will try to find a similar service that can do it here.
You should be able to do it in Odesa, but if it's a problem, I know for sure you can find a place in Kiev.

Years ago when I had to deal with the Russian Embassy in Kiev, I used a service located right across the street from the embassy who catered to foreigners.

Not sure if they're still around, but again, shouldn't be a problem for you to find a reputable service in Kiev at the very least.

If push comes to shove, below is a good quality service I have used many times in the past located in Moscow. They speak English and will answer any question you have and can ship everything to you by email and UPS wherever you are.
https://www.visahouse.com/en/neworder/index/
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.