The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: China warns the USA about the Taiwan strait  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: China warns the USA about the Taiwan strait
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 10:39:54 AM »
Looks like sabre-rattling on both sides to me.

China doesn't want the US snooping about in their sphere of influence, and the US sees no harm in using what it sees as international waters.

In time, Taiwan will reunify with China (by force or not). Nothing seems more certain. In that context, China sees the presence of US warships in that region as provocative. Of course, the US does this on purpose and probably without need. There's a Chinese article (in English) on this >here< which is interesting when read in conjunction with the one linked.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »

China doesn't want the US snooping about in their sphere of influence, and the US sees no harm in using what it sees as international waters.

In time, Taiwan will reunify with China (by force or not). Nothing seems more certain. In that context, China sees the presence of US warships in that region as provocative. Of course, the US does this on purpose and probably without need. There's a Chinese article (in English) on this >here< which is interesting when read in conjunction with the one linked.

Taiwan has been a free state since the commies in China took over the mainland.

The Chinese communist propaganda article is a joke.

The US sends ONE (1) Boat per month on average through the Strait of Taiwan which
is 100 miles wide and that is highly provocative and threatening. While the Chinese
run joint military training exercises inside of Japan's strait which is 14-24 miles wide
and these military training exercises are innocent freedom of the sea passages and
non provocative.

Anyone who disagrees with the Commie Chinese are making lame arguments with
perverted logic and pretending to be ignorant.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:48 AM »

The US sends ONE (1) Boat per month on average through the Strait of Taiwan which
is 100 miles wide and that is highly provocative and threatening. While the Chinese
run joint military training exercises inside of Japan's strait which is 14-24 miles wide
and these military training exercises are innocent freedom of the sea passages and
non provocative.

All that may be true Bill but do you really want the USA to get into a hot war with China?  :o

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »

non provocative.

Countries that Recognize Taiwan as a Sovereign Country - 2021
Guatemala
Honduras
Haiti
Paraguay
Nicaragua
Eswatini
Tuvalu
Nauru
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Belize
Marshall Islands
Palau

So Bill, what exactly is the usa doing there? They did not even recognise taiwan as a free state
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »

non provocative.

Guatemala
Honduras
Haiti
Paraguay
Nicaragua
Eswatini
Tuvalu
Nauru
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Belize
Marshall Islands
Palau

So Bill, what exactly is the usa doing there? They did not even recognise taiwan as a free state

Let's face it. Geopolitical posturing.  :coffeeread:

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
All that may be true Bill but do you really want the USA to get into a hot war with China?  :o

Fook NO!

The globalists have tried to create another World War 1 scenario with all
these nut-ball alliances.

The US needs to form a step by step plan on getting out of bed with China
and to get out of all these dangerous alliances.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 11:35:39 AM »
Guatemala
Honduras
Haiti
Paraguay
Nicaragua
Eswatini
Tuvalu
Nauru
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Belize
Marshall Islands
Palau

Because other insignificant countries have done something is not a valid argument
for or against the USA doing anything.

In my opinion the USA should recognize Taiwan as a free state. It's the Globalists
that want to do otherwise.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 12:51:20 PM »
Guatemala
Honduras
Haiti
Paraguay
Nicaragua
Eswatini
Tuvalu
Nauru
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Belize
Marshall Islands
Palau

Because other insignificant countries have done something is not a valid argument
for or against the USA doing anything.

In my opinion the USA should recognize Taiwan as a free state. It's the Globalists
that want to do otherwise

Agreed, although it would most likely not end well for World peace.

The one good thing about it though is that the Democrats and the RINO's would finally be forced to cut significant pork from the US budget because after China and the USA get into a hot war we could no longer continue to borrow money from them.  :laugh: :laugh:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »
that want to do otherwise.

I have no opinion on Taiwan as I do not know enough of this situation.

However, if its the local population's wish to leave china and continue as their own country, my guess is that china will not agree to it and it is illegal according to chinese law.
OO===[][]===OO

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »

However, if its the local population's wish to leave china and continue as their own country, my guess is that china will not agree to it and it is illegal according to chinese law.

The communists had a revolution and took over China by force, it was illegal to do so
according to Chinese law at the time. In 1949 the non-communist government took
refuge in Taiwan and governed in exile from there. Taiwan underwent democratic
changes in the 1980's and exist today as a Constitutional Republic.

They are the 21st largest economy in the world 4 spots under NL. Taiwan NOT Red
China represented China in the UN until 1971.

Online 2tallbill

The Taiwan strait
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 10:31:32 AM »
Taiwan makes approximately 63% of all the semiconductors in the world.
I can't imagine that China wouldn't like to add that little badge to their
tunic.

2 charts show how much the world depends on Taiwan for semiconductors
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/16/2-charts-show-how-much-the-world-depends-on-taiwan-for-semiconductors.html

Offline Manny

Re: The Taiwan strait
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 11:33:05 AM »
Taiwan makes approximately 63% of all the semiconductors in the world.
I can't imagine that China wouldn't like to add that little badge to their
tunic.

2 charts show how much the world depends on Taiwan for semiconductors
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/16/2-charts-show-how-much-the-world-depends-on-taiwan-for-semiconductors.html

I recall a curious conversation I had in North Korea. Apparently, several minerals are needed to make them. And those minerals are generally quite scarce, but quite abundant in NK (and one would assume other parts of nearby Asia). Indeed, NK has a semiconductor factory and would be more than happy to be exporting them. But US sanctions stop them from doing so in any great volume.

It does seem the west is cutting off their nose to spite their face in this regard.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 01:24:51 AM »

The communists had a revolution and took over China by force, it was illegal to do so
according to Chinese law at the time. In 1949 the non-communist government took
refuge in Taiwan and governed in exile from there. Taiwan underwent democratic
changes in the 1980's and exist today as a Constitutional Republic.

They are the 21st largest economy in the world 4 spots under NL. Taiwan NOT Red
China represented China in the UN until 1971.

All that may be true, but it still isn't a country according to most of the world.
So china effectively already owns Taiwan unless that changes.
OO===[][]===OO

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »

I recall a curious conversation I had in North Korea. Apparently, several minerals are needed to make them. And those minerals are generally quite scarce, but quite abundant in NK (and one would assume other parts of nearby Asia). Indeed, NK has a semiconductor factory and would be more than happy to be exporting them. But US sanctions stop them from doing so in any great volume.

It does seem the west is cutting off their nose to spite their face in this regard.

NK can wash any raw materials they want via China. NK does not have the expertise
to make proper semiconductors (neither does China). They might be able to produce
a few 30+ year old designs but they can't make anything modern. Nobody in the West
is going to teach them. They've stole too much and copied to much to be trusted.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »
All that may be true, but it still isn't a country according to most of the world.
So china effectively already owns Taiwan unless that changes.

I agree.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »
NK does not have the expertise
to make proper semiconductors (neither does China). They might be able to produce
a few 30+ year old designs but they can't make anything modern.

Well, NK manages to make them for their nuclear missiles.

I'd not be sure China are no good at them either. They can copy stuff very well and then they tend to get better at it. iPhones for example, they make perfect copies that run Android.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

Well, NK manages to make them for their nuclear missiles.

I'd not be sure China are no good at them either. They can copy stuff very well and then they tend to get better at it. iPhones for example, they make perfect copies that run Android.

NK has yet to hit anything smaller than an ocean with a missile. Nukes have been
around since July 16, 1945. NK can't make a chip for an Android or an iPhone, but
China can.

NK can make the case and a bunch of the guts but they would have to buy the
chip. They can make it for 10 cents on the dollar, buy what they can't make and
they can steal the programing.

Neither country can make a chip that is newer than 30 years old. Some chips
like the ole 3030 Winchester chip has been around since the late 1970's and
it's still in use in a thousand things but they couldn't make a 1993 Pentium
chip anymore than they could build a space colony on Mars.

It would require a multi-billion dollar manufacturing facility, equipment and
expertise that they don't have.

Cell phone chips don't require the computing power that a lap top or desktop
do otherwise you would have a fan in your phone

What it's like inside a $7 billion Intel fab
the processors they build are often smaller than your pinky fingernail --
the transistors on them are so tiny that thousands could fit side by side
across the width of a human hair.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/what-its-like-inside-a-7-billion-intel-fab/

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »

You're very much misstaken about china. They have the facility, equipment and expertise. Otherwise apple couldn't produce iphone half-finished products over there when all they have to do is put on the casing+glass in the USA in order to stamp "made in the usa" on it.

They are also ahead of some companies in the west. Or did you really think Huawei's ban was about china's espionage thingy. No way, it was only so Ericsson can play catch-up to them with 5G equipment.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »
What the CCP is truly great at is the preservation of the Chinese Communist Party at all costs:

The harvesting of human organs from live "patients" comprised of peace loving pacifistic Falun Gong, Random Freedom Activists, House Christians, Uighur Turkmen islamist Muslims that the Chinese are generously housing, feeding and re-educating in 200 plus special reeducation boarding schools.

HARVESTING MULTIPLE BLOODY FOOKING HUMAN ORGANS SYSTEMATICALLY FROM LIVE VICTIMS who are then incinerated in mass crematoria to then flush away all evidence of mass genocide and crimes against humanity.

They executed dozens of Germans after WWII for far less atrocious crimes like the conditions in concentration starvation camps.  At least the Chinese keep their victims in good health until the Harvest Day of Slaughter.

This alone would justify a 1,000% tariff regime against Communist Phooking China and their NORK puppets by the EU, UK, USA developed world economies had they not all sold their souls to the Communist Satanists and could care less about morality.

SHAME SHAME SHAME on the lot of you communist loving SATAN worshippers.

The CCP likes to teach its oligarchs and anyone they perceive to be a threat to the CCP's hold on power special lessons.  Cases in point the CEO of the Energy Company that made several large deals with Hunter Biden and the BIGGUY incorporated - and then got disappeared - or Jack Ma of Alibaba and ANT who just had his Ant IPO blunted by the CCP and Ma wound up in media exile for several months and reports that 51% of his multi hundred billions empire was "donated" to CCP controlled GSE business investors.

The Taiwan Semiconductor Giants are not stoooopid - they know all too well the special attention they will receive from the CCP and why they are now opening massive plants in the US desert southwest as CCP military invasion of Taiwan - as was done by the CCP in Honk Kong is very likely whereas invasion of PBR (Professional Bull Riding) country is highly unlikely.  So the Taiwanese are learning phrases like Howdeeee Cowboy and learning to walk in cowboy boots while learning to throw a perfect American Football spiral.

Taiwan is PHOOKED big time and they know it - only option is to quietly move their Intellectual Property and best talents Locke, stock and barrel to Bull Riding country pronto now pilgrims (Nod to the great Cowboy in the Sky John Wayne).  Giddyup now!

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »

You're very much misstaken about china. They have the facility, equipment and expertise. Otherwise apple couldn't produce iphone half-finished products over there when all they have to do is put on the casing+glass in the USA in order to stamp "made in the usa" on it.

They are also ahead of some companies in the west. Or did you really think Huawei's ban was about china's espionage thingy. No way, it was only so Ericsson can play catch-up to them with 5G equipment.

I said NK can't make Iphone chips and I said China can't make a Pentium chip circa 1993.

What did I get wrong?

Surely, you aren't telling me that Huawei is making chips with a billion transistors in them?

China can make some decent tech, but the can't make a processor that was state
of the art 28 years ago.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
So the Taiwanese are learning phrases like Howdeeee Cowboy and learning to walk in cowboy boots while learning to throw a perfect American Football spiral.

Cuffy, you crack me up

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 01:17:28 AM »
Surely, you aren't telling me that Huawei is making chips with a billion transistors in them?

China can make some decent tech, but the can't make a processor that was state
of the art 28 years ago.

Yes they can and yes they are:

https://chipguider.com/?p=hisilicon-kirin-990e-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-888

This however is not from huawei's 5G equipment but simply a mobile phone chip, but it shows quite clearly what they are capable of for our argument. Even though this comparison is flawed because the snapdragon (American design) is newer than the kirin-990e (Huawei design)

OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 04:21:06 AM »
It is rather odd how the denizens of the Land Of The Free (TM) consistently underestimate what the Chinese are doing in manufacturing.

In truth, Bill's claim is factually incorrect, Chinese manufacturers have been developing x86 compatible chips for use on desktops in China for some time. Here is just one example: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/zhaoxin-kx-u6780a-x86-cpu-tested. it is difficult for manufacturers to create compatible chips, not due to the technologies involved but due to licensing and IP constraints. The processor in the linked example is comparable to an Intel i5-7400 from 2017.

Right now their chip manufacturers are manufacturing chips using a 7nm process and entering production at 5nm. Intel, the famed U.S manufacturer has been trying, and failing, for years to get below 10nm. At these terms, U.S and Chinese manufacturing are at about the same level.

More than that, Huawei is now looking at moving away from silicon chips toward optoelectronics. Of course, it is not only China going down the same road. Think about it, why on earth would China focus on building ancient chips? That's not the game. The game is to design and manufacture tomorrow's technologies. The underlying rationale for the change is twofold: firstly, that optoelectronics enables all manufacturers to break out of the physical limitations that accompany Moore's Law and secondly because it sidesteps the actions of the United States to limit Chinese technical and economic development.

However, one can understand the confusion of poor blokes like Bill when they are presented with inaccurate and downright wrong information that bigs up U.S technology but does so by publishing objectively incorrect information. here's an example: https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/17337/first-non-qualcomm-powered-smartphone-in-years-released

The article's problems start with the title, which is factually incorrect. I'll leave the erudite reader to pick out some of the other factual errors in the article.

When analysing a piece of content, one matter I consider is the type of error in the item. For example, if an article is factually incorrect, the piece might have been written by somebody who simply lacked relevant information. The writer may be guilty of not fact-checking his or her work, careless in the extreme or, at a certain level of incompetence, so unaware of the issues that they cannot even recognise the falsehoods in their work. Dumb, but honest.

To check the honesty of the writer one can look at the balance of the 'errors'. In the example I posted, the factual errors all favour one side of the argument. A dumb but honest writer would be expected to have errors on all sides of the piece.

In the example, the writer is being knowingly dishonest.

If somebody like Bill read this, he'd come away with the understanding that ALL Android phones apart from a single, new, Google model use U.S technology Qualcomm processors. A lower level writer using this piece as a secondary source for his own work would take that same impression and amplify it.

If the author had at any point written that what he wrote was true only in the United States market, which is only a small part of the global market then he'd have a small fig leaf. That choice was knowingly omitted.

The reality is that China is a huge designer and manufacturer of the types of microprocessors that the United States cannot manufacture. Chinese products, along with those produced elsewhere in Asia, power the computing devices that most of us use every day.

Here's a more balanced and accurate view: It is from earlier in 2021 and is a little outdated in some specifics, but the picture is pretty good. As it happens I have been following Pascal Coppen's work for some time. His website is here: https://pascalcoppens.com It is worth a look and, if you prefer videos, check out his YouTube channel.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
The Kirin 9000 is manufactured in Taiwan. That was the takeaway I got so far from the video. Mostly this discussion is beyond me.  :chuckle: