The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: the myth of Afghanistan minerals and the Chinese GDP  (Read 791 times)

Online Texan77

• Trips: 20+
the myth of Afghanistan minerals and the Chinese GDP
« on: October 06, 2021, 12:13:16 AM »
It is true that Afghanistan has a number of minerals. There are a huge problems with these minerals though. First, Afghanistan is a desert. Most forms of mining takes a lot of water. Second, there will be a need to build a lot of  infrastructure. The capital investment will be very high and take many years to pay back. Third, there have been terrorist attack after the USA left. No body want to spend that much money on a project that will likely lose money and they do not know if they also will have a serious security problem on the side.

About the only thing Afghanistan is good for is a being a transit country. If the security problem grows it may not even be good for that. 

Much of this so call Chinese GDP is building buildings that are not lived in for many years and infrastructure that makes a poor return on investment. For this fake GDP the Chinese are extremely indebt much more so than the USA as a per cent of GDP. Their multiplier of dollars of new debt to dollar gained in GDP growth is 9 which is extremely low. China's growth is extremely over extended. Beyond that the numbers they give the world are suspect so many do not have much confidents in them being correct. It is suspected that every years for the last ten years that China has over inflated their GDP growth by 1 to 2 per cent per year. But even using this number you have to use a multiplier base on China's poverty to show it GDP larger than the USA  The only way they are if you use a system of value to make what the services to have the same value as they would be worth in the USA. 

For an example if you have a maid in China you might pay her 200 dollars a month. Then claim that same maid service in the USA would be worth 2,000 dollars. So they add 1800 dollars to the value of the Chinese GDP. The difference is no body in the USA would use a maid service in that way because it is wasteful of her time. This end up as an over inflation of their GDP. Thru out China they use labor in a wasteful manner for services that inflates their GDP.

Here is the true comparison between the USA and China that Wiz and Manny do not want to see. 

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: the myth of Afghanistan minerals and the Chinese GDP
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 02:21:32 AM »
It is true that Afghanistan has a number of minerals. There are a huge problems with these minerals though. First, Afghanistan is a desert. Most forms of mining takes a lot of water. Second, there will be a need to build a lot of  infrastructure. The capital investment will be very high and take many years to pay back. Third, there have been terrorist attack after the USA left. No body want to spend that much money on a project that will likely lose money and they do not know if they also will have a serious security problem on the side.

About the only thing Afghanistan is good for is a being a transit country. If the security problem grows it may not even be good for that. 

Much of this so call Chinese GDP is building buildings that are not lived in for many years and infrastructure that makes a poor return on investment. For this fake GDP the Chinese are extremely indebt much more so than the USA as a per cent of GDP. Their multiplier of dollars of new debt to dollar gained in GDP growth is 9 which is extremely low. China's growth is extremely over extended. Beyond that the numbers they give the world are suspect so many do not have much confidents in them being correct. It is suspected that every years for the last ten years that China has over inflated their GDP growth by 1 to 2 per cent per year. But even using this number you have to use a multiplier base on China's poverty to show it GDP larger than the USA  The only way they are if you use a system of value to make what the services to have the same value as they would be worth in the USA. 

For an example if you have a maid in China you might pay her 200 dollars a month. Then claim that same maid service in the USA would be worth 2,000 dollars. So they add 1800 dollars to the value of the Chinese GDP. The difference is no body in the USA would use a maid service in that way because it is wasteful of her time. This end up as an over inflation of their GDP. Thru out China they use labor in a wasteful manner for services that inflates their GDP.

Here is the true comparison between the USA and China that Wiz and Manny do not want to see. 

This was a summary of Michael Beckley's Unrivaled:

Why America Will Remain the World's Sole Superpower.

https://www.e-ir.info/2019/04/25/review-unrivaled-why-america-will-remain-the-worlds-sole-superpower/

Texan

If Afghanistan was/is all you post.... why did America spent 20 years there for,  spending too many Billions of Money?

Stop talking Porky Pies...= Lies.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire ? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Wiz

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 03:10:09 AM »
United States Total Gross External Debt

What USA will do about it... or as usual you will let other countries you have invaded to pay for your foreign policy........ ?

Keep reading..... you may wake up one day to the real reasons why USA infrastructure is ancient, according your own papers...

Then you will have to ask the new immigrants...... how work is going?????

and like the Greek immigrants on the early years of last century will reply OK

Translation: OK     Greek = Ola Kala (All is Good)

Oh I forgot that its All Greek to you!!!  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

BTW .... China and Russia are doing both very well..... and the North Stream the USA tried so hard to stop with sanctions against Russia etc......... it's up and running since last weekend!

Remember this..... ?

How long do you thing you can keep
your Vassal Germany under your
boot, despite having signed their
defeat and sovereignty until 2099?

:coffeeread:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire ? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AJ

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
defeat and sovereignty until 2099?[/size][/font]
 :coffeeread: [/center]

Like the Greek empire,  as long as we can or as long as it is worthwhile to.our selfish interests .

It's the way of all powerful nations including your own,and the one you immigrated to.

You want the tiger to not have stripes.

Online Wiz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »
defeat and sovereignty until 2099?
 :coffeeread:

Like the Greek empire,  as long as we can or as long as it is worthwhile to.our selfish interests .

It's the way of all powerful nations including your own,and the one you immigrated to.

You want the tiger to not have stripes.

Welcome back AJ and hope you are still running around!

The stripes are only 75 years old and already going down hill, 2030 maybe

The Greek one lasted for nearly 2000 years and also

The British bulldog lasted for few centuries too!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 04:18:30 AM »
Texan77, your oversimplification of PPP calculation, presumably not devised by yourself, is simplified to the point of making it entirely inaccurate.

GDP calculations do not take account of efficiency, but simply of money prices. You might want to look up the Economist Big Mac index as this gives a very simplified and easily understood way to get one's head around what PPP is and how it works.

Here's The Economist's page on the subject: https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index
They apply the index to assess relative currency values to give an insight into whether one currency is under or overvalued in relation to another. They also make clear that the Index is based upon PPP calculations.

However, in your example of the Chinese maid. Your suggestion that her labour would not be used in the USA because it is inefficient is not correct. In the Chinese context, it might well be an efficient use of time and therefore money, just as it is to have a housekeeper, cleaner, gardener, chauffeur or cook in the United States. The only difference is that due to other factors within the economy, this form of labour is more costly than in China making it less affordable to the USAian population.

To give a somewhat relevant example.
Many years ago, as I was finishing my time at university, I was offered a job with a global consulting firm. My wages, even starting out, would have been high enough to make most USAians envious. On the other hand, I was expected to work very long hours.

Within the consulting industry, such hours are normal (even if not entirely healthy). People in the field tend to hire in services to ensure that they are able to maximise their downtime. They hire cleaners, gardeners and the like. The goal is to regain time by paying money. The net result is that the apparently high wages are not quite so high when the return exchange of money for time is taken into account.

A colleague of mine worked in a firm where many junior consultants did not even have homes. They stayed in hotels all the time because in that way they outsourced ALL the services of living that 'normal people' take care of for themselves. As they worked away from home five days a week, on the client's money, they saved a lot of money in comparison to normal folks who had to buy or rent a home that was costing money even when not in use.

Was this kind of lifestyle 'inefficient'? Absolutely not. However, it was a lifestyle that I decided not to pursue. 

If one can afford to hire a maid to do time-consuming work within the house then why not do so?
Most people in China cannot afford to do so, just as in the United States, but, just as in the USA, those who can do so, often choose to do so. After all, if I am working 60 or 70 hours per week I do not want to waste my valuable free time on cleaning, laundry and other household chores.

The hypothetical Chinese maid earns enough to live decently and, for example, where a Big Mac might cost $5 in the USA it costs about $1.25 in China. The maid is not well-off by any means, but she has enough to manage life and afford an occasional Big Mac. In China, a Big Mac is still something of a luxury for many and, from my time there, one can eat better for less in other places!

Sticking with the Chinese maid, she earns a hypothetical $200 which using the Big Mac Index is around $800 per month. That may not sound like much, but that excludes her living accommodation, very often food and at least some of her clothing needs. So, not a bad deal for her. :)

A final thought, had I taken up the consulting position, had I been seconded to China, given the relatively low cost of living there, I would have lived like a prince! Again, something I saw while I was there was that the relatively well-off lived a remarkably lavish lifestyle given that the basic costs were so low. Even where I live now, although the situation has changed and prices have risen a lot, the effect is still noticeable. I could afford domestic help here quite easily. :)

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration