The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 15 most dangerous cities in Europe  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
15 most dangerous cities in Europe
« on: May 26, 2021, 01:19:01 AM »
I've been to a few of these cities and never felt threatened at all. It's Yahoo, so you always have to wonder about the facts.

I know Marseilles is a shit hole now mostly because of immigrants from North Africa and you'd expect a "mafia" city or 2 to make the list :P, but Tbilisi (#3), Tallinn, Glasgow and London (#2)?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/15-most-dangerous-cities-europe-113026331.html
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Re: 15 most dangerous cities in Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 02:57:30 AM »
I've been to a few of these cities and never felt threatened at all. It's Yahoo, so you always have to wonder about the facts.

I know Marseilles is a shit hole now mostly because of immigrants from North Africa and you'd expect a "mafia" city or 2 to make the list :P, but Tbilisi (#3), Tallinn, Glasgow and London (#2)?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/15-most-dangerous-cities-europe-113026331.html

More the reason to be fully trained.. https://homestylesurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/SurvuvalPdfs/Military/USMC-Kill-or-Get-Killed.pdf  :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 03:52:44 AM »

London is a shit hole now as well, because of the influx of immigrants from all over.
Glasgow too, I’d imagine.
I found Tbilisi to be quite a nice place. Didn’t feel uneasy at all.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 04:37:32 AM »

Yeah, I looked at Tallinn. When I read the paragraph I wondered what they meant by 'dangerous'. Yes, the homicide rate is relatively high, but to the best of my knowledge, almost every homicide here is a domestic issue. That's bad in and of itself, but it also means that one's personal risk is pretty low.

That said, of all the cities I have lived in, Tallinn is the only place where I have been a victim of assault, but without wanting to victim blame, even if I was the victim, I contributed to my attack. I was walking home early morning after a night out clubbing. I was the worse for wear and made a mistake in not following my own rules for safety that I follow everywhere. I put myself in harm's way, although, if it had not been me probably somebody else would be been attacked.
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

I would be much more uneasy in many other places that are not on the list and, overall, feel very safe in Tallinn.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 04:46:31 AM »

Yeah, I looked at Tallinn. When I read the paragraph I wondered what they meant by 'dangerous'. Yes, the homicide rate is relatively high, but to the best of my knowledge, almost every homicide here is a domestic issue. That's bad in and of itself, but it also means that one's personal risk is pretty low.

That said, of all the cities I have lived in, Tallinn is the only place where I have been a victim of assault, but without wanting to victim blame, even if I was the victim, I contributed to my attack. I was walking home early morning after a night out clubbing. I was the worse for wear and made a mistake in not following my own rules for safety that I follow everywhere. I put myself in harm's way, although, if it had not been me probably somebody else would be been attacked.
(Attachment Link)

I would be much more uneasy in many other places that are not on the list and, overall, feel very safe in Tallinn.

Looks like fake blood :) Why did they attack you? I never really had any problems here, though the other day I had to subdue some guy who was drunk and beating some other guy .. actually there was a few of us had to put a stop to it..

The end of the day it's always best to avoid a confrontation if you can.. if you cant you have two choices ..

1. Run as fast as you can to get away and do not stop until your safe .. I remember once I had to do this with a mate when I was about 18 .. had no choice there was a group of skinheades who would of put us in hospital for sure..

2. If there are a group of people put the biggest mouthiest one straight down as fast as possible so he will not get up again and take it from there.. :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 05:01:02 AM »
It was real, fresh(ish).

I was attacked, don't remember much about it. Left unconscious in the snow but pretty much out of sight from passersby. I was robbed. Money, cards etc gone. It was a simple mugging with violence. My guess is that I resisted, my clothes were torn up and my specs were not on my head when I came to.

I took the pic after I got back to my apartment to record what had happened before I took a shower and went to the hospital. For some weeks after the event, I could not write properly. Even now, I have problems with some words and letter combinations so I rely much more than before on spellchecking.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »
It was real, fresh(ish).

I was attacked, don't remember much about it. Left unconscious in the snow but pretty much out of sight from passersby. I was robbed. Money, cards etc gone. It was a simple mugging with violence. My guess is that I resisted, my clothes were torn up and my specs were not on my head when I came to.

I took the pic after I got back to my apartment to record what had happened before I took a shower and went to the hospital. For some weeks after the event, I could not write properly. Even now, I have problems with some words and letter combinations so I rely much more than before on spellchecking.

Never worth reporting to the police they never catch these people and even if they do.. its just a slap on the wrist!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 12:57:39 PM »
Yeah, I reported it, in part in case I needed medical care. As it was I had a scan. Nothing more. Just bad concussion.

But, yes, no action - not much they could do really.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »
Andrew curious what personal security precautions you have taken since the attack - in my drinking days (Now only drink one martini or Screwdriver a month or so at HOME) and always took a taxi to avoid DUIs.  I no longer drink in public even gave up my favorite Johnnie Walker Black in a 4 oz flask to sip when having a cigar -  of course in Live Free or Die New Hampshire we have Constitutional Concealed Carry Laws and I practice that right daily with a discreet DeSantis holster that totally conceals my Ruger LCP .380 with Hornady Critical Defense Rounds always with one in the Chamber and an effective Crimson Trace Red Laser sighted in by the factory at 25 feet.  The murder rate in New Hampshire is extremely low as a result.  Liberal Blue Urban cities are problematic though.

The laser alone can be quite intimidating along with a small canister of Sabre pepper spray for aggravating varmints that do not have a weapon in their hands...  Of course not sure about concealed carry laws in Estonia...

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/crimson-trace-laserguard-ruger-lcp-ii-red-laser-1x-13n-lithium-battery/FC-610242008469.html

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »

More the reason to be fully trained.. https://homestylesurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/SurvuvalPdfs/Military/USMC-Kill-or-Get-Killed.pdf  :laugh:

SB Great Site but for some reason this link defaults to the Home Page???

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »
every city in the world has dangerous places.
one should use common sense when travelling anywhere.
know the area your in, carry little to be noticed,
cab after dark etc. not rocket science.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
Andrew curious what personal security precautions you have taken since the attack - in my drinking days (Now only drink one martini or Screwdriver a month or so at HOME) and always took a taxi to avoid DUIs.  I no longer drink in public even gave up my favorite Johnnie Walker Black in a 4 oz flask to sip when having a cigar -  of course in Live Free or Die New Hampshire we have Constitutional Concealed Carry Laws and I practice that right daily with a discreet DeSantis holster that totally conceals my Ruger LCP .380 with Hornady Critical Defense Rounds always with one in the Chamber and an effective Crimson Trace Red Laser sighted in by the factory at 25 feet.  The murder rate in New Hampshire is extremely low as a result.  Liberal Blue Urban cities are problematic though.

The laser alone can be quite intimidating along with a small canister of Sabre pepper spray for aggravating varmints that do not have a weapon in their hands...  Of course not sure about concealed carry laws in Estonia...

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/crimson-trace-laserguard-ruger-lcp-ii-red-laser-1x-13n-lithium-battery/FC-610242008469.html

Bloody hell! A lean mean killing machine!  :thumbsup: 

Are you trained to kill with your pistol? A pistol is not so easy for getting ahead shot if your not trained to much..

As far as I see you always must put one straight in the forehead or heart .. then one more in the brain immediately after , you need to do the last shot in the brain for the simple reason that in the Hollywood movies they always get up after one shot and put one in your back.. :laugh:

Im a crack shot with a pistol or semi auto if you need to do some thing you need to do it properly , just like say SEO that needs to be done properly its the same as killing someone that also needs to be done correctly  :laugh:

That link should open I will check..

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »
every city in the world has dangerous places.
one should use common sense when travelling anywhere.
know the area your in, carry little to be noticed,
cab after dark etc. not rocket science.

If you appear to be a tourist or expat than you might be seen as a mark. For a little bit extra I can bring you to some areas of Kiev that you would not to be in on foot after sunset.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 04:28:11 AM »
Back then, I typically walked home, if alone. From my usual haunts it was only a 10 minute walk and it was pleasant.
I had/have rules. Always stay out of the shadows, walk close to the road ready to jump into the road if necessary. Don't distract myself.

My mistake was going up to check out the menu of a new place. I don't remember anything after taking those few steps.

After that event, I never again walked home after a night out.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 06:03:48 AM »
That Tallinn should be on such a list is hilarious.

London at number 2 I can see, it is a shithole full of robberies and knife crime.

Similarly, Bradford, Yorkshire at number 1, Bradford is a shithole too, heaving with Muzzies. But I cant see it as the most dangerous place in Europe.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 06:09:59 AM »
Of course you have to keep your wits about yourself.

The thing is, none of these cities would even come close to cracking the top 10 in America.

I would have no second thoughts about walking home at night in Tallinn (and have), as Andrew has mentioned also, for example, as opposed to LA or New York City. The comparison is not even close.

The same goes for Moscow. If you want more comparable cities to Tallinn, St. Louis, Memphis and Little Rock make Tallinn seem like Emerald City. My family in America thinks Moscow is more dangerous than LA or New York City just to give you an idea of how perceptions are manipulated.

Andrew's situation, while not unheard of, seemed to me to be the exception, not the norm. I remember wondering around Naberezhnye Chelny years ago without a care in the world only to find out later it's one of the most dangerous cities in Russia.

If you ask me to name the top 15 most dangerous cities in Europe, Tallinn would never cross my mind, nor would Tbilisi.

I remember when I first moved to Moscow and took a gypsy taxi home after a night of revelry and had the driver drop me off in front of the Cosmos hotel by metro VDNKh, which was/is located across the street from my first apartment.

While I was walking home, 2 guys starting following me (actually just walking somewhere as is the norm here) and I started to get nervous and cautiously slipped into an alley way to ditch them out of paranoia from living in LA all my life. I had to laugh as they passed by as if I wasn't even there and I continued on home.

IOW, I feel safe walking around Moscow at 3 in the morning, but wouldn't be caught dead doing this in LA because most likely I would be found dead. :)

It goes to perceptions and reality, not about taking precautions or not.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 06:28:47 AM »
Yeah, what happened to me is not common. However, there are always Finns getting mugged, often in the old town - always drunk.

I was sending the 'right' signals and so I suffered. But, yes, on the whole, I know that Tallinn is very safe. But, if one has lived as long as I have, at some point something bad is going to happen.

The writer of that list, I think, looked at raw data and used it to make a general case. It's kinda like those reports we used to see about costs of living in various countries - usually compiled by a bloke who was staying in a hotel and who only used the shops within 50 meters of the street entrance for their 'survey'. Meaningless data used to draw sensational, but meaningless conclusions.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
Every city has dangerous areas, City where I am, less than 500 people
and I know a few streets you should not be on after dark, yet look perfectly nice in daylight.
Many places like this, numbers are low, because locals know not to be there.
Only crime is normally criminals fighting with other criminals lol.
odd story of someone who got into something, that should never have been there.

Bigger cities have more of these streets and bigger criminal population.
I would travel anywhere out side of countries at war lol.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »
Every city has dangerous areas, City where I am, less than 500 people
and I know a few streets you should not be on after dark, yet look perfectly nice in daylight.
Many places like this, numbers are low, because locals know not to be there.
Only crime is normally criminals fighting with other criminals lol.
odd story of someone who got into something, that should never have been there.

Bigger cities have more of these streets and bigger criminal population.
I would travel anywhere out side of countries at war lol.

Detroit or parts of Chicago? You're brave. They are worse than a war zone.

Just look at the video I posted. Chicago in particular they showed the dead bodies.

It's mostly gang violence, but a lot of kids and others get caught in the crossfire.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »

What's up with you guys in the UK? 850,000 of you are into child sex? Say it ain't so!

https://www.rt.com/uk/524798-sex-offenders-increase-uk/
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Guile

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 07:48:42 PM »
I've lived in London, Moscow, Hong Kong, and some other big cities and never had a problem.  I hear London has alot more random attacks and stuff..if I take the tube (subway) I make sure to never stand by the tracks until the train arrives.

In one North African city where I worked there would be taxi drivers and strangers coming up to me trying to rip me off but nothing happened.  Just be blunt with them and tell them to go away.

I go to Cali and LA frequently. haven't been since covid but I stick to the main areas.  You need a car in LA.

I have martial arts training and look big so that probably helps. But being aware and perceptive is key.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
LOL SB Quite the Knight Wolves Attire esp the AK.

Was Top Nuke Sub Topside Security Marksman on my "boat" trained by a member of the US Army Competition Shooting team, Sidearms and long rifles, he decided to transfer to our US Navy Combat Systems School to become a Combat Computer Systems expert as a better long term career choice.

US Marines guarded the Sub Base Main Gate and access to the Submarine Piers but only crew members trusted with armed topside security on Nuke Boats since our lives depended upon it and we knew exactly who any of the 140+/- crew members were.

To be honest the crimson trace laser with proper laser technique (short 1 sec dot to mark the target without giving away ones position) is accurate to 1/4 inch or 1cm at 50 feet.

No isosceles triangle shooting stance required - plus Hornady Critical Defense rounds with patented silicon tips in the hollow points guarantee a prefect mushroom rotating claw impact versus a .38 Tumble.  I even use CritDef rounds in my .357 Magnum when out fishing to blast any rabid foaming at the mouth varmints as a Rabies Bite requires a series of painful inoculations.  Works well on BLM and Antifa varmints as well.

Got to love Constitutional Concealed Carry states like Live Free or Die New Hampshire - how did the UK draconian self defense regs go so far off the rails?

Russia has fairly strict firearms regs last i read but like everything else in Russia - negotiable.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 10:23:19 AM »

What's up with you guys in the UK? 850,000 of you are into child sex? Say it ain't so!

https://www.rt.com/uk/524798-sex-offenders-increase-uk/

We know who a great many of them are but its mostly ignored and overlooked, coz Muzzies.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
Rabies Bite requires a series of painful inoculations. 

I got a friend from the UK who got bite by a dog here in Batumi. He had to do the rabies routine. He said it was no big deal. The only thing that bothered him was he wasn't supposed to drink beer.

Registration