The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Belarusian Hijacking..  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Belarusian Hijacking..
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:37:54 AM »
I think you have to congratulate the president for this feat..

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/russian-agents-were-board-hijacked-071146525.html

I would of done the same thing..

The thing is this KID is just 26 years old! What can he possibly know about life or anything, what ever the problems in Belarus what can a kid who just got out nappies possibly know about anything other than starting a Telegram channel to cause problems for a whole country..I would also lock him up..It is the problem today youngsters just out of their nappies wanting to change the world..

Our youngest was only recently going to protest in Russia for her "Rights and freedom"  :laugh: she is 13.. She changed her mind when she realized her suitcase was being packed at the same time..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Belarusian Hijacking..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
It is amusing, if the United States does something along the same lines it is evil. If Russia or Belarus arrests or kills a journalist or person of the opposition it is commendable act.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:18:54 AM »
It is amusing, if the United States does something along the same lines it is evil. If Russia or Belarus arrests or kills a journalist or person of the opposition it is commendable act.

Evil? I dont remember similar outrage when Spain did this on USA request. They were hoping to catch Snowden at the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo_Morales_grounding_incident
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
Let's not forget the most important point here AS USUAL!!

“It’s very difficult to believe that this kind of action could’ve been taken without at least the acquiescence of the authorities in Moscow,” Raab said. :laugh:

What a Helmet!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »

Evil? I dont remember similar outrage when Spain did this on USA request. They were hoping to catch Snowden at the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evo_Morales_grounding_incident

Exactly. And will the UK also be releasing political prisoner Eduard Snowden? Er...

“The UK calls for the immediate release of Mr Protasevich and other political prisoners held in Belarus. The UK is working with our allies on a coordinated response, including further sanctions."

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
Here is an interesting commentary from Russia giving a little context and more information.
https://www.facebook.com/maria.zakharova.167/posts/10226157063342750

I am not a big supporter of 'whataboutism' however, even if the sole purpose of the plane diverting to Minsk was the apprehension of a fugitive from the law, Belarus is far from the first state to have engaged in such activity.

It seems that the diversion was due to a call from the Ryanair captain on the flight. We shall, I am sure, learn more about that in the fullness of time.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 03:23:20 PM »
It seems that the diversion was due to a call from the Ryanair captain on the flight. We shall, I am sure, learn more about that in the fullness of time.
Yes, the (time corrected) call of events:

2 wanted criminals (or activists / free journalists depending on whom you ask) board the plane with 4 KGB agents and other passengers + crew

As soon as over belarus airspace , the 4 KGB officers threathen to blow up the plane
Plane reports S.O.S to belarussian ATC
ATC scrambles mig 29 + diverts plane to minsk (this is standard in such an event, as the world should know ...)

Plane lands safely and everyone disembarks.

2 Criminals + 4 KGB officers vanish from the airport (later we hear the 2 criminals were arrested)

Everyone else boards and plane lands with +7 hours delay in Vilnius without further incident.

So the only one that has any blame here, are those mysterious 4 KGB officers. The Belorussian ATC had done nothing wrong and belarus seized its chance to apprehend 2 criminals (yeah yeah, we know, in western world these are free journalists, etc.).

Somehow the western media spin this as a belarussian ATC fault, or Belarussian gov't fault, or whatever. But the ATC was never to blame, they did their jobs exactly as described.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »
Bottom line: USA tried to get Snowden, who is languishing in prison.

USA cares about human rights of journalists?  :ROFL:   :ROFL:    :ROFL:

Offline Texan77

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »
What it really does is show how much Russia wants to keep Belarus under its control. It is not Ukraine that need Russia it is Russia that needs Ukraine. The same is true with Belarus. Russia does not have enough to be a world power without these two countries. So keeping the man in power who is wins by faking the elections is what is needed in Belarus. There is no concern about what the people want. Ukraine well ... that is still being worked on.

If someone would of had a position like Snowden had for the USA but worked for the Russian Government, Russia would had him killed him and been done with it. No planes would been diverted and of course Russia would deigned any knowledge of what happened to him.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 07:35:39 PM »
What it really does is show how much Russia wants to keep Belarus under its control. It is not Ukraine that need Russia it is Russia that needs Ukraine. The same is true with Belarus. Russia does not have enough to be a world power without these two countries. So keeping the man in power who is wins by faking the elections is what is needed in Belarus. There is no concern about what the people want. Ukraine well ... that is still being worked on.

So you are pushing the big lie, that Lukashenko is not the legitimate President of Belarus?  :coffeeread:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 08:53:51 PM »

Lets try to keep those wanted by different governments in order.

Unless I am mistaken & according to Steveboy Moscow, RUSSIA is a relatively free local. This is where E. Snowden resides with his wife. I am of the opinion the releases of intelligence material was more embarrassing than damaging.

J. Assange who via WikiLeaks initially published documents from C. Manning is stuck in legal limbo in the UK. The documents published were more embarrassing than damaging. But numerous international 'leaders' were caught out. He continues to publish activities that paint politicians and leaders as corrupt.

As for the chap from Belarus, not really sure what to say, but he must have been a pain in the posterior of Lukashenko. Worth noting any ruler who prohibits clapping in public could be considered less than honest. So yes I suspect he manipulated the LAST election.   

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 09:28:28 PM »

If someone would of had a position like Snowden had for the USA but worked for the Russian Government, Russia would had him killed him and been done with it. No planes would been diverted and of course Russia would deigned any knowledge of what happened to him.
Why do you continually spout rubbish about Ukraine in every thread??
Russia not a world power!! Lmao..
Russia needs Ukraine!! For what I ask, does Russia need a bankrupt country??
Not the legitimate President!! Duh..
Tex, how can you sit there and type anything about faked election results after your own countries recently faked elections, pray tell??.
Surely you remember the US stopping a plane from flying due to Snowden being suspected as being on board, or the many kidnapped persons at the US request in various countries of the world and delivered to their dirty hands, we could also include the many rendition flights, add to this the plight of the Huawei financial boss being arrested in Canada at the request of your Gov, illegally I may add, as she was in transit and not on Canadian soil..
Would be better if you engaged your brain before using your mouth/fingers.. (that may also be an impossibility for you)..
HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »

Unless I am mistaken & according to Steveboy Moscow, RUSSIA is a relatively free local. This is where E. Snowden resides with his wife. I am of the opinion the releases of intelligence material was more embarrassing than damaging.

J. Assange who via WikiLeaks initially published documents from C. Manning is stuck in legal limbo in the UK. The documents published were more embarrassing than damaging. But numerous international 'leaders' were caught out. He continues to publish activities that paint politicians and leaders as corrupt.

As for the chap from Belarus, not really sure what to say, but he must have been a pain in the posterior of Lukashenko. Worth noting any ruler who prohibits clapping in public could be considered less than honest. So yes I suspect he manipulated the LAST election.   

Brain fart as to who is in prison, thank you.

And I’m playing the devils advocate.

We put up with Hillary and the DNC claiming Trump stole the election in 2016 for 4 years.

And she had the Democrat controlled media pushing their lies 24/7 the whole time.

But now when there are very legitimate questions being raised by Trump and others; they don’t want to hear it.

I am laughing at what Belarus did.

Let the EU and the US get their panties in a bunch.  :laugh:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »

Someone's got the message..  :bow:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 09:35:18 PM »

Tex, how can you sit there and type anything about faked election results after your own countries recently faked elections, pray tell??.
Surely you remember the US stopping a plane from flying due to Snowden being suspected as being on board, or the many kidnapped persons at the US request in various countries of the world and delivered to their dirty hands, we could also include the many rendition flights, add to this the plight of the Huawei financial boss being arrested in Canada at the request of your Gov, illegally I may add, as she was in transit and not on Canadian soil..
Would be better if you engaged your brain before using your mouth/fingers.. (that may also be an impossibility for you)..
HTH

Your last line nails it.

He’s either got dementia or the fluoridation in the water, the GMO in the food and decades of propaganda has turned him into a zombie.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 09:43:20 PM »

HTH

Your last line nails it.

He’s either got dementia or the fluoridation in the water, the GMO in the food and decades of propaganda has turned him into a zombie.

It may just be that he played truant on his school days, and didn't get the message, Poor little boy in the intellect department.. :laugh:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 01:13:21 AM »

Priceless.  :bow:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 01:20:58 AM »

Before Tex points out the stick in another country's eye, he should remove the log in ours. Let's fix our problems first and then think about setting a good example for the world again.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 01:57:57 AM »

HTH

Why do you continually spout rubbish about Ukraine in every thread??. Thats easy to answer.. cos he is sponsoring someone in Ukraine and feels like the good old USA he is also helping out poor suffering people..sending over a phone here and there and sometimes a food parcel..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 03:50:38 AM »
Does anyone know if any sanctions were actually placed on the saudis for the International outrage they committed .. you know sending a private jet full of hit men to another country to chop a journalist up then dip his body parts in an acid bath? That all kind of was brushed under the carpet.. funny old world we live in.. What we really need is some big event to wipe out half the planet and the Western hypocrites .. the sooner the better for the good of humanity!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 04:14:24 AM »

The thing is this KID is just 26 years old! What can he possibly know about life or anything, what ever the problems in Belarus what can a kid who just got out nappies possibly know about anything other than starting a Telegram channel to cause problems for a whole country..I would also lock him up..It is the problem today youngsters just out of their nappies wanting to change the world..

Our youngest was only recently going to protest in Russia for her "Rights and freedom"  :laugh: she is 13.. She changed her mind when she realized her suitcase was being packed at the same time..
While on the subject of locking people up, the one person this should happen to is that Greta girl.
To see the liberatii falling over themselves to show their ‘environmental’ credentials over that silly girls faux outrage is vomit worthy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 04:29:19 AM »
It seems a little 'odd'. To believe the story we are being told by 'western' media, we need to believe that the Belarusian law enforcement, presidency and intelligence services are insane, with no understanding of how the world works, a complete sense of impunity and no idea of proportionality.

All of those elements run counter to what we know and to all previous evidence.

If we are to believe the narrative we have been given, we also need to think that this blogger, Pratasevich, was such a threat to the peace and stability of Belarus that capturing him was worth the inevitable consequences that would flow from his capture in this manner. There is no evidence of this whatsoever.

This appears to be a reboot of the Navalny story. Take a relative unknown, Pratasevich, who may have been known of in Belarus, but certainly has no international standing. Create an incident that bigs up his profile in a way that can be used against the legitimate government and weaponise him against the Belarusian government.

If we assume that the Belarusian government and law enforcement is not run by imbeciles who are also mentally ill, then another possibility presents itself.

A bomb threat occurred, the plane was diverted to Minsk, accompanied by a military plane as is now protocol in such cases. Pratasevich was identified as his identity was checked by the law enforcement who were investigating the bomb threat and he was pulled in. In that sense, all is routine.

It isn't even hard to believe that Pratasevich had intelligence agents following him just as Navalny would've done and if that was the case, in this situation, they'd not have wanted to continue on to Lithuania - that'd be a career (or liberty) ending move.

My guess is that the bomb call was genuine but was a hoax operation designed to enable the injection of Pratasevich into the western news cycle and his weaponisation. After all, if there was a bomb threat, over Belarusian airspace, what else could Belarusian ATC do? What else could the government do? For sure they would bring the plane in and investigate - imagine the consequences of not doing so?

The bomb hoax story about the threat coming from Hamas might look very fishy, but no responsible government could afford to say 'ah, it'll be OK' and let the flight continue.

Given the bomb threat, the arrest at the airport of Pratasevich was absolutely inevitable and, I am pretty certain, planned for. My biggest question is this: was Pratasevich aware of his role in the plot or is he a patsy. I am inclined to think patsy given that, whether under duress or not, he has made it clear that he is cooperating with the investigation against him. Unlike the Navalny case, which may well have been planned with Navalny's knowledge of at least part of the program, this may have been a purely opportunistic one carried out at short notice.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 04:34:08 AM »

While on the subject of locking people up, the one person this should happen to is that Greta girl.
To see the liberatii falling over themselves to show their ‘environmental’ credentials over that silly girls faux outrage is vomit worthy.

I had a little run in with an expat here a few months back.. some young kid just out of his nappies telling me the world will be fixed by people like himself, him and the younger generation will stop the pollution, save the planet he even had the cheek to tell me "Look mate I do not want to insult you" yeah a right cocky little tit .. after all his blabber I asked if being a responsible citizen he had registered with the local tax office down the road..I already knew he was working cash in hand sort of thing.. Deleted me from his friends list in &^#*(^book and made sure I could not find him .. Yeah right as If I would really want to find the idiot..

Nothing worse than hypocrites ..

Offline Texan77

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:41 AM »
MOST OF THE STUFF ABOUT FAKE ELECTIONS IN THE US IS JUST FAKE NEWS. Believe what you want but that is the facts. The extreme right and the left will spend anything to convince people of this to motivate the useful fools. Foreign powers will help spread the news of this. Trump was not over popular in the USA on November 3,2020.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.