The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Biden Declares National Emergency  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Biden Declares National Emergency
« on: April 16, 2021, 02:27:10 PM »
Biden Declares National Emergency:
U.S. and NATO Brand Russia an International Pariah

The thirty-member North Atlantic Council, the political decision-making body of NATO consisting of the ambassadors of all member states, posted a statement supporting the Joe Biden administration’s declaration of a national emergency attributed to Russian actions, real or fancied.

Biden began a letter accompanying an executive order sent to the U.S. Congress today with this announcement:

“Pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) (IEEPA), I hereby report that I have issued an Executive Order declaring a national emergency with respect to the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States posed by specified harmful foreign activities of the Government of the Russian Federation.”

In a writ of indictment that includes no fewer than seven grave – in some instances the gravest of – accusations, the letter continued:

“I have determined that specified harmful foreign activities of the Government of the Russian Federation – in particular, efforts to undermine the conduct of free and fair democratic elections and democratic institutions in the United States and its allies and partners; to engage in and facilitate malicious cyber-enabled activities against the United States and its allies and partners; to foster and use transnational corruption to influence foreign governments; to pursue extraterritorial activities targeting dissidents or journalists; to undermine security in countries and regions important to United States national security; and to violate well-established principles of international law, including respect for the territorial integrity of states – constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States.”

The last time such near-apocalyptic language was used in relation to Russia was after Soviet troops entered Afghanistan in December of 1979. In his State of the Union address in January 1980 President Jimmy Carter spoke these words (giving rise to the eponymous Carter Doctrine), written by his National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski and modeled after the Truman Doctrine of 1947, which signaled the beginning of the Cold War:

“Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.”

Truman’s concerns were over communist activities in Greece and Turkey. Carter’s were over potential Russia influence in the Persian Gulf. Biden’s are global in their nature: everything from meddling in other nations’ elections (something his nation, of course, has never been known to do) to using bribes to influence government officials (this article was written in Chicago); to targeting dissidents and journalists with “extraterritorial activities” (Julian Assange’s opinion on this matter would be valuable) to showing lack of respect for the territorial integrity of states (it was the U.S. and not Russia that supported the secession of Kosovo, South Sudan and Eritrea in the post-Cold War era).

Even the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor didn’t present such a life-and-death threat to the U.S. and its “allies and partners” in every part of the world as Biden would have us believe Russia does in “constituting an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States.” Washington hastily declared war against Japan eighty years ago. What Biden has done today may well be the equivalent of that action.

Today NATO released a statement on, in fact a line-item condemnation of, Russia’s threat to most every aspect of life, repeating, amplifying and fleshing out Biden’s sweeping accusations:

“Russia continues to demonstrate a sustained pattern of destabilising behaviour, including its violations of Ukraine’s and Georgia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and continued violation, non-implementation, and circumvention of numerous international obligations and commitments, including the Budapest Memorandum. Examples include attempted interference in Allied elections, including the U.S. presidential election; widespread disinformation campaigns; and malicious cyber activities. The United States and other Allies assess that all available evidence points to the responsibility of the Russian Federation for the SolarWinds hack. We stand in solidarity with the United States. We condemn the attack on Alexei Navalny, a Russian opposition figure, with the use of a nerve agent from the banned Novichok group. Any use of chemical weapons, under any circumstances, is a clear breach of international law and contrary to the Chemical Weapons Convention. Reports that Russia encouraged attacks against U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan are also of concern.”

The NATO statement followed its litany of charges with the resolve for member states to consult regularly to “address Russia’s actions, which constitute a threat to Euro-Atlantic security.” It demands Russia cease what NATO characterizes as its destabilizing behavior. It also calls on Russia – and only Russia – to discontinue alleged provocations near and to deescalate tensions on the border of the Donbass and “in illegally-annexed Crimea.”

The observation that war is the continuation of politics by other means has been ascribed to Carl von Clausewitz. It is equally true that the type of political denunciation and diktat detailed above can constitute conducting war by other means. Perhaps only until the real thing arrives.

Source with permission From Global research,  : Posted by Rick Rozoff at Global Research on 16 April 2021 
https://www.globalresearch.ca/biden-declares-national-emergency-us-nato-brand-russia-international-pariah/5742844
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Biden Declares National Emergency
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »
Wiz!

Glad to see you back posting something!

Efff Dementia Joe. Crooked as they come....

And sadly the real international pariah seems to be the USA, with all of the recent immoral wars committed in our name.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 06:18:40 PM »

And sadly the real international pariah seems to be the USA, with all of the recent immoral wars committed in our name.
Pariah? Nah not really. Laughing stock? yes most definately.

All those countries that were liberated are worse off now than before USA's liberation.

If NATO wants to be taken seriously, they need to kick out Turkey. The country has been pushing the wrong moral values ever since Erdogan took power.
That won't happen however until Europe takes the defense-budget seriously and ups it to 2% as nato requires.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Texan77

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
Russia completely destroys the life of people in eastern Ukraine and they are great. WE help the people in Panama become very successful and we are horrible.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
Russia completely destroys the life of people in eastern Ukraine and they are great. WE help the people in Panama become very successful and we are horrible.

Not a very good or honest comparison.

Try comparing what the West did to Libya. Or Syria. Or Iraq.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:45 PM »
Wiz my dear below is a link to the actual declaration. I understand your knickers are in a twist, but seeing the actions of Russia in the last six months it hardly seems very extreme.

The link you noted is a classic example of journalists attempting to be politicians.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/04/15/executive-order-on-blocking-property-with-respect-to-specified-harmful-foreign-activities-of-the-government-of-the-russian-federation/

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
Wiz my dear below is a link to the actual declaration. I understand your knickers are in a twist, but seeing the actions of Russia in the last six months it hardly seems very extreme.

The link you noted is a classic example of journalists attempting to be politicians.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/04/15/executive-order-on-blocking-property-with-respect-to-specified-harmful-foreign-activities-of-the-government-of-the-russian-federation/

I think Wiz is correct about you in one way or another.

Who knew that AvHdB would become an agent of propaganda for Biden.  :sick0012:

Russia is NOT Iraq, Libya or Syria.

Here is what happened in Libya, after the USA allegedly "liberated" it from Gaddafi.

https://time.com/5042560/libya-slave-trade/

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 02:54:00 AM »

Yes thanks for helping all the women and kids in Iraq when you invaded them.. most are still in hospital or moving around in wheelchairs with no legs or arms many are about 6ft under the earth in boxes.. Thanks for the torture centre you set up against the law all over Europe.. thanks for helping the world.. :ROFL:

Here is a great full kid you helped..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Texan77

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 05:31:21 AM »
Russia only motive in Ukraine's Donbas was to make people lives worse. In Iraq much of the current misery is caused by Russia continue support of Iran.  In Libya the problem is Turkey and Russia at war with each other using proxy forces. You forget there is more to the story than what you guys want to see.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:07 AM »
Russia only motive in Ukraine's Donbas was to make people lives worse. In Iraq much of the current misery is caused by Russia continue support of Iran.  In Libya the problem is Turkey and Russia at war with each other using proxy forces. You forget there is more to the story than what you guys want to see.

That is correct you forget lots of stories .. what about ethnic Russians living in eastern Ukraine who have been for decades, their rights have been taken away, language banned , persecution and lots more..

Your just a dumb yank who is clueless about things really .. do you know how many Yanks write to women in Ukraine and tell them they are sorry for all the problems Russia has been causing .. and do you know how many women in Eastern Ukraine answer something like " It is not the Russians the Ukrainians are murdering our people here and the Western media knows nothing about it" Of course the dumb yank is then Gob smacked!! And when the women goes on to explain more he sees another side to the story ..

Can you imagine if the US government said tomorrow they do NOT want to hear the Southern US accent anymore it is banned.. everyone MUST speak with a New Your accent it is not much difference really..

If I was you I would just concentrate on your monthly WU payments it is much easier..

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »

I nominate Tex as simpleton of the year.  :'(

Online Texan77

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 03:13:48 PM »
Russia creates fake war in Ukraine 

For foreign correspondents who worked in Moscow in the 2000s, it was widely believed that Vladimir Putin was behind the September 1999 apartment building bombings that propelled him into the presidency and gave him carte blanche to wage a scorched earth campaign against the Chechens. The 300 dead and 1,000 wounded were collateral damage for Putin’s political ambitions. Fast forward two decades: Ukrainians worry that Putin will create his own provokatsiya to justify attacking Ukraine in May. Oleksandr Danyliuk, heading of the Defense Reform Center NGO, writes on Facebook: “To launch aggression against Ukraine, they only need a pretext, which traditionally Russian special services are able to set up on their own.” He writes the Russians could blow up the reviewing stand at the Donetsk May 9 military parade – and blame it on Ukraine. On Friday, UNIAN news agency posted the recording and transcript of what it says is a Russian officer ordering DNR rebels on April 7 to shell two positions occupied by fellow DNR units. Listen, read and draw your own conclusions.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 06:09:38 PM »

I never thought, before, that you are so blind and so affected, brain dead and brain washed by the American Mass Media propaganda but then I admit you proved me wrong.
I see there is no point even making an effort to rebut all your comments.

Everybody is aware of what has taken place in Ukraine, during the Orange revolution. Also who organised and executed the uprising against the Government of Yanukovych and of course who were the main organisers and protagonists. I am sure you must remember Victoria Nulan (Fcuk EU) and that lovely character Geoffrey Payat as also the Dead now American hero, of the VIETNAM war, John McCain.  BTW the US ambassador Geoffrey Pyatt was moved to Greece, where he continues his Charitable Job destroying my country of Birth.

Well the end of the American exceptional-ism is not far away! Now you have to share the running of the world........with other countries, like China, Russia, India, etc.....

Imagine your pride that the US has to pay Russia, big Money to transport it's Astronauts to the  International Space Station........ :ROFL:    :ROFL:  :ROFL:

You must get use to it  !  ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I think you need a lot more of education.... Read on.......

Why NATO Destroyed Libya Ten Years Ago
https://www.globalresearch.ca/why-nato-destroyed-libya-ten-years-ago/5742377

A Decade Ago: US-NATO Invasion of Libya and Its Consequences
https://www.globalresearch.ca/decade-ago-us-nato-invasion-libya-consequences/5740305

Turkey and the War on Libya: Defusing another UN Time Bomb
https://www.globalresearch.ca/turkey-and-the-war-on-libya-defusing-another-un-time-bomb/24058
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Texan77

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 06:26:04 PM »

I never thought, before, that you are so blind and so affected, brain dead and brain washed by the American Mass Media propaganda but then I admit you proved me wrong.

Maybe you do not because you can not. Who cares about ten years ago. Look at the current problems and not some body's opinion of what happened then.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »

Maybe you do not because you can not. Who cares about ten years ago. Look at the current problems and not some body's opinion of what happened then.

Perfect "rebuttal" of a lemming. Nothing has cause and effect according to the simpleton.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
Everybody is aware of what has taken place in Ukraine, during the Orange revolution. Also who organised and executed the uprising against the Government of Yanukovych and of course who were the main organisers and protagonists. I am sure you must remember Victoria Nulan (Fcuk EU) and that lovely character Geoffrey Payat as also the Dead now American hero, of the VIETNAM war, John McCain.

Dear Chap, At least try to get your revolutions in the correct order.

The Orange Revolution occured in 2005, I witnessed some of it it. The protests with Ms. Nuland's comments are in regard to the Revolution of Dignity, that took place in late 2013 to early 2014. Again I was in Ukraine but to the West. While some wish to believe this was a Western orchestrated event, it was very much Igor's and Yuriy's, that had enough of the corruption and appeasement to Moscow. If the the convicted criminal V. Yanukovych played or approached the protests differently he would not be in exile in Russia.

Ukrainians have largely decided to embrace the West and reject Russia, considering the history, recent and past, I can not blame them.

You can moan and find your links but look at the will of the people. Oddly enough V. Zelensky coming from the outside has done a credible job in respecting the people's wishes and moving the country forward in an extremely challenging period.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 09:04:26 PM »
In response to Biden's inane sanctions, Russia has banned Secretary of State Antony Blinken from visiting Russia.:ROFL:

Putin bites back at Biden’s sanctions by expelling 10 diplomats and banning top officials including Secretary of State Blinken from Moscow as tensions soar

Moscow banned a number of top Biden officials in retaliation for the sanctions 
Includes Domestic Policy Advisor Susan Rice and FBI chief Christopher Wray
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters that Russia was responding to US sanctions in ‘a tit-for-tat manner’

https://stateofthenation.co/?p=60883

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:06 AM »

I nominate Tex as simpleton of the year.  :'(

Yeah what is up with him.. been watching to many Hollywood movies!

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
All those countries that were liberated are worse off now than before USA's liberation.

Even France?

Nobody was liberating anybody, especially Afghanistan. They didn't want
to turn over Bin Laden and they got invaded because of that. Bin Laden is
dead and in my opinion that's why we came.

Afghans have never throughout history been able to manage themselves, 
it's high time we stopped trying to do it for them.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
That is correct you forget lots of stories .. what about ethnic Russians
living in eastern Ukraine who have been for decades, their rights have
been taken away, language banned , persecution and lots more..

You really think any of those things actually happened?

Show me some time or place in Eastern Ukraine the Russian language
was banned.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 11:50:33 AM »
Wiz, Honesty and the truth are concepts you do not understand.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

was banned.

I think it boils down to Russia being upset, and rightly so, that the USA did indeed interfere in Ukrainian affairs.

Originally I did not think this to be true, but after the recent theft of the Presidential election away from Trump and into the hands of crooked Joe with Dementia, it became more clear that the CIA and others did indeed interfere in Ukrainian affairs.

Notice that Obama was cheering when Ukrainians were physically fighting against Yanukovich's government, but when American Patriots stormed the US Capitol he wasn't too happy about that.

Sort of a Pot, Kettle, Black situation.

Not that Yanu was a clean leader. He was obviously very corrupt.

But be honest Bill and ask yourself, did US actions really make it better or worse?

I think the answer is obvious. Ukraine lost Crimea and they have lost the Donbas. As well as thousands of lives have been lost.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »

was banned.

Of course and it's happening all the time! Your not going to see that though are ? I mean they will never show you some old guy in his 70's who is Russian fought in WW2 and now has people knocking or kicking his door down saying "F**** off back to Russia" But he has lived in Eastern Ukraine all his bloody life nearly! There is lots of persecutions going on..you will never see it..

It is the same kind of situation in Transnistria Republic in Moldova .. the people in the republic are mostly old from the Soviet days, they still glory in the Soviet Union and why shouldn't they? They do not want to be forced into the European Union.. They speak Russian and every sign and school, street name is in Russian..It has been Russian there for decades. Moldova wanted to put an end to anything Russian in the republic that is why they had a war there! And of course Putin helped fellow Russians there.. why should he?

Can you imagine in the UK if the government decided to ban anything Welsh? No Welsh signs, no Welsh language, No Welsh TV channels it all must stop overnight only English to be spoken, do you think there would be a bloody revolution?

It is the same in Ukraine.. Of course the country including Eastern Ukraine belongs to Ukraine.. BUT they should of dealt with the situation a little more diplomatically, you can't just cut every thing off over night..even if Russia took Crimea back.. you cannot use that as a excuse to persecute ethnic Russians in Eastern Ukraine.. all a bit complicated..

But for sure NOTHING to do with dip shit biden..lets hope his heart gives away any day soon..

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

Of course and it's happening all the time! Your not going to see that though are ? I mean they will never show you some old guy in his 70's who is Russian fought in WW2 and now has people knocking or kicking his door down saying "F**** off back to Russia" But he has lived in Eastern Ukraine all his bloody life nearly! There is lots of persecutions going on..you will never see it..

Some guy who was 20 years old and fought in WW2 which ended on
May 8, 1945 in Europe would be 96 years old so there aren't too many
of those guys getting persecuted.

My point is that they never outlawed Russian language

Minority languages including Russian remain explicitly protected under article
10 of the Ukrainian Constitution.

Article 10
The state language of Ukraine is the Ukrainian language. The   State   ensures   the   comprehensive   development   and   functioning   of   the Ukrainian  language  in  all  spheres  of  social  life  throughout  the  entire  territory  of Ukraine. In  Ukraine,  the  free  development,  use  and  protection  of  Russian,  and  other languages of national minorities of Ukraine, is guaranteed. The State promotes the learning of languages of international communication. The use of languages in Ukraine is guaranteed by the Constitution of Ukraine and is determined by law.

https://www.refworld.org/pdfid/44a280124.pdf

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 11:39:32 PM »
But be honest Bill and ask yourself, did US actions really make it better or worse?

The facts are not clear, how much the US was involved in changing things is
debatable. Having said that, I think that the US shouldn't get involved in
Ukraine elections or their local politics. The US doesn't have a national interest
in Ukraine. We especially don't have a national interest to the point of involving
our blood and treasure.

Having said that, the US and Russia tend to poke at each other with a stick.
I don't think that is a wise idea from either side but we both tend to do it.

Having said that, if they poke us with a stick we poke them back. If we poke
them they poke us back. My opinion is the less poking the better, but if they
poke us they HAVE to be poked back. Who poked who first, nobody knows.

It's a stupid game, involving the lives of real people.