The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Oracle Wins the America's Cup  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Muzh_1

Re: Oracle Wins the America's Cup
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
Hitting the ball that comes straight at you is relatively easy, compared to a ball coming at you at 90 MPH that bounces off an uneven pitch with swing on its way like it does in cricket. Ian Botham proved that when the Yanks invited him over to the States to try rounders baseball and he hit them out of the park   :-X    :chuckle:

LMAO

Chris, seriously? Have you ever stood there waiting for a 90 mph fastball heading towards you?   :laugh:

The first time I did (and that was a tad below 90) I moved back. IMMEDIATELY.  :ROFL:

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
Av, there's been quite a few good ball players from Oz since times memoriam.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
Hitting the ball that comes straight at you is relatively easy, compared to a ball coming at you at 90 MPH that bounces off an uneven pitch with swing on its way like it does in cricket. Ian Botham proved that when the Yanks invited him over to the States to try rounders baseball and he hit them out of the park   :-X    :chuckle:

LMAO

Chris, seriously? Have you ever stood there waiting for a 90 mph fastball heading towards you?   :laugh:

The first time I did (and that was a tad below 90) I moved back. IMMEDIATELY.  :ROFL:

and now imagine that again, but this time its speeding up as it bounces off an uneven pitch and coming towards your head.
Слава Україні

Offline Vitalite

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »

LMAO

and now imagine that again, but this time its speeding up as it bounces off an uneven pitch and coming towards your head.

To illustrate Chris' point:

Thankfully the bowler in this case, David Saker, wasn't a fast bowler. I'd estimate that the ball in the video was bowled at about 85 mph. Most genuinely quick bowlers are capable of reaching the low/mid 90's mph. The fastest officially recorded delivery was 100.23, bowled by Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar, although many believe that other bowlers, most notably Frank Tyson and Jeff Thomson, were faster than him.

* The ball never gathers pace off the pitch. When this seems to happen it is just an illusion - in these cases the impact with the ground doesn't slow the ball down as much as the batsman expects it to.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »

LMAO

To illustrate Chris' point:

Thankfully the bowler in this case, David Saker, wasn't a fast bowler. I'd estimate that the ball in the video was bowled at about 85 mph. Most genuinely quick bowlers are capable of reaching the low/mid 90's mph. The fastest officially recorded delivery was 100.23, bowled by Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar, although many believe that other bowlers, most notably Frank Tyson and Jeff Thomson, were faster than him.

* The ball never gathers pace off the pitch. When this seems to happen it is just an illusion - in these cases the impact with the ground doesn't slow the ball down as much as the batsman expects it to.

To be honest, I would rather have a few stitches in my chin than to take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i29QqnZIzyE

This is coming from a guy who has my right eye 4 mm higher than my left from getting hit by a 91 mph fast ball in my eye socket.  My parents thought I was dead while I laid on the field motionless for almost 20 minutes  ;D  That was in high school by the way...I threw 88 mph on my best day and this kid topped 90 fairly regularly...scouts were at the game so that is how the speed was known...he went on to play for the Braves.

That still looks like a wicked hit though in the cricket match.  I watched others..the ball can really move off the ground indeed.

I think I would be a bit worried to stand in for the second delivery from this guy :)
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Vitalite

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »

This is coming from a guy who has my right eye 4 mm higher than my left from getting hit by a 91 mph fast ball in my eye socket.  My parents thought I was dead while I laid on the field motionless for almost 20 minutes  ;D  That was in high school by the way...I threw 88 mph on my best day and this kid topped 90 fairly regularly...scouts were at the game so that is how the speed was known...he went on to play for the Braves.

That still looks like a wicked hit though in the cricket match.  I watched others..the ball can really move off the ground indeed.

I think I would be a bit worried to stand in for the second delivery from this guy :)

"A few stitches in the chin"?  :o The ball hit him right between the eyes, or would have done if he wasn't wearing a helmet (and thank goodness he was).

Perhaps the oldest saying in cricket is "If a batsman says that he enjoys playing against fast bowlers then he is either a liar or has never faced one." I'm sure that the same sentiment applies to baseball pitchers too.  :nod:

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »

"A few stitches in the chin"?  :o The ball hit him right between the eyes, or would have done if he wasn't wearing a helmet (and thank goodness he was).

Perhaps the oldest saying in cricket is "If a batsman says that he enjoys playing against fast bowlers then he is either a liar or has never faced one." I'm sure that the same sentiment applies to baseball pitchers too.  :nod:
Indeed  tiphat
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »
Has there EVER been such a magnificent come from behind in the history of sports?

I am doing this from memory but I think the American's took on a local fisherman as crew to help with the very strong currents around the Isle of Wright. I do not think they ever were behind. Compared to the English vessels the "America" was a radical (and very fast) design.

As for come backs what about in 1985? the win of the Mets over the Red Sox's in the 6th? or 7th? game of the World Series. Not really that big of a baseball fan, but it was an amazing game to watch.

That was a great game.

But, Oracle won 8 straight 45 minute matches .... even if they were lazy, that was WORK.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »
No the days of Sir Thomas Lipton and Ted (the Mouth of the South) Turner are long over.

The guys sailing the current America's Cup vessels are as fit as a marathon runner, as strong as a rugby player, and as intuitive as a salmon skier. The one thing that has not changed is that it is still a rich man's sport. Only now allot more entertaining as you watch the boats literally fly over the water at a couple times the speed of the actual wind.

Also additionally Switzerland competed (and won) the America's Cup.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline el_guero

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
No the days of Sir Thomas Lipton and Ted (the Mouth of the South) Turner are long over.

The guys sailing the current America's Cup vessels are as fit as a marathon runner, as strong as a rugby player, and as intuitive as a salmon skier. The one thing that has not changed is that it is still a rich man's sport. Only now allot more entertaining as you watch the boats literally fly over the water at a couple times the speed of the actual wind.

But, when will the Russians compete?

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »

But, when will the Russians compete?

I doubt they will ever try for the Auld Mug. They do not have a core group of sailors who can become a team and the financial investment would have little PR value in Russia.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
You nailed that.

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
On Friday and Saturday was in Annapolis Maryland, met some friends from racing who had this as there profession.

Stories about Larry, but the most amazing fact to come out is that team New Zealand had a manual system to adjust there foils the American's started with a system that could adjust the foils at just over 4 seconds per degree and depth and ended (and won) at around 1.7 seconds.

I stand corrected this is mega like finding 5% extra in a Formula 1. Game Over.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »
It was an amazing come back.

The race, and the come from behind win, should get more people involved in sailing and boating in general.

Although, not too many Kiwis are happy about it, even though the American team was almost more Kiwi than the Emirates team ....

:)

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »
BUMP

So The America's Cup is being held in New Zeeland.

The best of 13 races is tied 3 for the SandEaters KIWI munchers and three for the spaghetti suckers.

Via you tube a few highlights and insights. Yes these sailboats are going very fast over the water.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2021, 09:44:57 AM »
Those boats being used this year are amazing, wow.
40knot speeds on one foil and a rudder!!  :bow:
Score is 3 v 3, first to win 7 out of a potential 13. Todays 2 races were cancelled due to light winds
Technology being driven to the max....... I'm loving it.
We get the races live here in Aus, and feel part ownership in Luna Rosso because the Skipper is Aussie Jimmy Spitle.
Hmmm....I miss my boat.
Especially since it's the only way off this Island/Continent Goal/Jail at this point in time.
Border closure was extended until June 15.
I've had my first dose of Pfizer already, 2nd due next week.......then I should be acceptable Internationally then if I could only get out of here :-)

Offline AvHdB

America's Cup
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »

Registration