The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: International womens day  (Read 1019 times)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
International womens day
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »
Happy womens day to all the Ladies of
RUA and beyond, I hope you are enjoying your day tiphat
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: International womens day
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
Did all the blokes remember? That is the question!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:39:53 AM »

Frankly this is the first I've ever heard of the holiday... but certainly one I'm happy to celebrate.  tiphat
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:21:24 AM »
Of course. Life wouldn’t be worth living if one forgot.

As it happens, we went for a surprise dinner ( for the ladies) with an Aus/part Belarusi Azerbaijani  couple.

A few cocktails, some sushi followed by dessert and all is well.  :party0011:

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:10:00 AM »

Frankly this is the first I've ever heard of the holiday... but certainly one I'm happy to celebrate.  tiphat

Here you go, Grasshpppertiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:14:57 AM »
I remember my first trip and learning this was a big deal.
At that time in North America, barely a mention.

Now its a big deal here and very well celebrated,
you did not know here, your living in a cave.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 05:30:50 AM »
Of course. Life wouldn’t be worth living if one forgot.

As it happens, we went for a surprise dinner ( for the ladies) with an Aus/part Belarusi Azerbaijani  couple.

A few cocktails, some sushi followed by dessert and all is well.  :party0011:

As restaurants are still closed here, it only ran to some wine and a pair of ear rings for me.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 06:55:48 AM »

As restaurants are still closed here, it only ran to some wine and a pair of ear rings for me.

I'm sure she will enjoy the wine, but I don't really see you in a pair of earrings. A single stud, perhaps. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 07:16:56 AM »
Geez LoD,

Woman's Day is only the biggest female celebration in the Slavic world.....
Skip that and you're definitely in the Dog House
Please tell us you know not to give even numbers of flowers :-)
Don't even think about sending "electronic flowers"......no picture's getting you cosy

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 10:12:53 AM »
Geez LoD,

Don't even think about sending "electronic flowers"......no picture's getting you cosy

I thought similar in the context of him talking with a Ukrainian woman recently.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
Geez LoD,

Honest to God, first I've heard of it.

I never remember hearing about it in past years either. When I heard all the liberal masses talking about it on social media, I just assumed it's another feminist coup attempt.

Well see, that's why I'm here.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »
Geez LoD,

I thought similar in the context of him talking with a Ukrainian woman recently.

Things ended badly with that one (guess I should've known how important Women's Day is! ...J/K).

Sorry, I need to update that thread and will do so in the near future. Long story short, I guess I got a little too interrogative with my questions. Mind you, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she was in fact a real person and that I offended her. In retrospect, Andrew may've been correct in warning that 'she' was most likely a scammer. I'll provide more details later but I've never heard of a balloonist living in an apartment. Who, in their right mind, would own a balloon, SUV and box trailer but not a home (first)? If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true. Whoever I was dealing with definitely had aeronautical experience though.

Online Guile

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 01:24:22 PM »
LoD, did you talk to this girl on video?

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »
LoD,

Don't put too much importance on the fact they don't own an apartment.
Image, and the appearance of success, is very important to the younger ones.
I know many youngsters that drive BMWs/Mercs etc, have the latest Iphone 12 ultra, but still live at Mama's place. Some of the girls have been given these toys by lovers, and others have just taken credit, but they MUST have the "name" brands.
It takes quite a search to find a good match with similar values, but they are there to be found :-)

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »

No. And in retrospect, that should've been my first move, but when she wanted to write to me, I didn't want to disregard the idea (as it being hers, I was afraid I'd offend her). She sent me a lot of photos over FB and in the ballooning shots it was evident that she (or whoever those photos belonged to) was the pilot in command of the aircraft. 

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
LoD,

Don't put too much importance on the fact they don't own an apartment.
Image, and the appearance of success, is very important to the younger ones.
I know many youngsters that drive BMWs/Mercs etc, have the latest Iphone 12 ultra, but still live at Mama's place. Some of the girls have been given these toys by lovers, and others have just taken credit, but they MUST have the "name" brands.
It takes quite a search to find a good match with similar values, but they are there to be found :-)

Your point is well-taken concerning "the appearance of success" but judging by the first line of your reply I'm guessing that you may've misunderstood me (or perhaps I wasn't clear - sorry about that).

She claimed that she lives in an apartment with her mother and father. Her father owns the balloon and is an instructor, giving her the advantage of being able to learn from her father. So she DID own an apartment. But my point is, who owns a balloon but not a house? I know if I was living in an apartment or townhouse I'd sell my boat, balloon, even my CAR to get into a home! I've literally never heard of a balloonist who lives in an apartment! Most of us don't live in a location that would enable departures from our own land, but some do (especially those who live on estates in northern England). What a luxury - being able to take off in your own backyard! Unfortunately my property prohibits balloon departures due to the topography of our valley. But when I eventually build a place of my own that's definitely on the wish-list. Anyhoo, when I started to ask her some questions (in as innocent a manner as I could type) she got really pissed off. For example... Просто цікаво, де ви паркуєте причіп, коли живете в квартирі?

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »

Actually it originated in Chicago around 1915 but never took off here. The Soviets picked it up and ran with it.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Online Guile

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 02:19:50 PM »

No. And in retrospect, that should've been my first move, but when she wanted to write to me, I didn't want to disregard the idea (as it being hers, I was afraid I'd offend her). She sent me a lot of photos over FB and in the ballooning shots it was evident that she (or whoever those photos belonged to) was the pilot in command of the aircraft.

It's a good lesson. Get on video in the first week of talking. Real girls will want to, scammers won't.  don't worry about offending them.

If she had a ton of FB photos in the balloon then it's pretty hard to fake, was she actually in the photo?  it'd be a pretty elaborate scam if she was pretending.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »

Actually it originated in Chicago around 1915 but never took off here. The Soviets picked it up and ran with it.

Good to see you posting Steamer.

The first Women's Day was held in 1909 at the end of February in New York City, there was subsequent days held in Germany. It was adopted in The Soviet Union with a date set of 8 March 1917. Primarily a Soviet Holiday it has morphed into something different today than perhaps envisioned.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »

Good to see you posting Steamer.

The first Women's Day was held in 1909 at the end of February in New York City, there was subsequent days held in Germany. It was adopted in The Soviet Union with a date set of 8 March 1917. Primarily a Soviet Holiday it has morphed into something different today than perhaps envisioned.

Thanks Av!  Sometimes I get the urge to communicate.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 10:59:15 PM »

Fascinating. Yeah, I hadn't even heard of it before this year... selective hearing I guess. :laugh:

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
It's a good lesson. Get on video in the first week of talking. Real girls will want to, scammers won't.  don't worry about offending them.

If she had a ton of FB photos in the balloon then it's pretty hard to fake, was she actually in the photo?  it'd be a pretty elaborate scam if she was pretending.

Yeah, a good lesson for sure... I'm still trusting too much and not verifying enough.

The photos were definitely of a young female balloon pilot. Balloon pilots are easy to identity among passengers because pilots almost always wear thick leather work cloves to protect their hands (from frostbite during an accidental LPG release, from burns when blasting the burners). But of course it's easy to steal others' photos and then create a fake account with them. Her account had been in existence for several years now so that created some false confidence in my mind.

I think it's a plausible theory that the story really was true, but that I was dealing with her dad the whole time, pretending to be his daughter to scam me. 'She' never did ask for money but was probably gearing up to.

Online Guile

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »
LoD did you meet her on a dating site or somewhere else?  Facebook or VK can help to see if she's real. the best way is to get on video asap, whatsapp, skype etc..

You get a much better sense of the person after talking to them or even just voice messages.  Nuances are lost when writing.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 10:05:55 PM »
LoD did you meet her on a dating site or somewhere else?  Facebook or VK can help to see if she's real. the best way is to get on video asap, whatsapp, skype etc..

You get a much better sense of the person after talking to them or even just voice messages.  Nuances are lost when writing.

Met through FB... lots of mutual friends, all part of a ballooning network (so again, definitely some association with the sport). I certainly agree with you about *hearing* each other now that I've had this experience.

Registration