The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sochi  (Read 865 times)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Sochi
« on: February 11, 2021, 04:29:21 PM »
I've been playing with the idea of spending a month in Sochi this coming summer.  Why Sochi?  I was born and raised in Utah and I love living in the mountains.  My favorite thing to do is ski here in the winter.  (I go skiing 2-4 times a week throughout the winter.)  So naturally I am curious about what it would be like to live in a mountainous area of Russia or Ukraine.  Of course I know of Sochi because of the 2014 winter Olympics but what other mountainous regions of Russia or Ukraine would anyone here recommend?  So I am looking at this month long trip as an opportunity to test drive what it might be like to live/retire in a particular area.  I look forward to hearing your comments/recommendations about my interest in this.  Thanks.  :)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Sochi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Glad to see you posting.

A plan not this year though is to visit Georgia. A car trip from Tiblisi to the ski region of Bakuriani is I understand three hours by car. Plus you go through Borjomi.

We had an expert on all things, who sort of inhabited Sochi. Search and one can still find his posts.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
Sochi is one of a few places I could live in Russia. Because I work remotely now, I have often thought of spending some time there just as a change of scenery. I hear there's a good snow pack this year and I might be headed that way next month for a bit of R & R and some skiing.

Nice nature, mountains, streams, moderate weather, the Black Sea and an upgraded infrastructure all make Sochi a pretty cool place. It's also a lot more affordable than it was 5-10 years ago.

One drawback for foreigners; not many English speakers there. I speak Russian the majority of the time I'm there, even though you'll stumble across someone whom speaks English here and there. One exception would be if borders are still closed, you'll have more English speaking people from Moscow there as a result.

I would highly recommend staying a month. You'll enjoy the nature, the sea and the people, even though you won't be able to communicate with most of them.

I can certainly think of worse places to be. And as you might imagine, a lot of water activities to be had in summer.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 11:43:18 PM »
The story of Bruno Banana, aka the Flying Coconut. Truth is stranger than fiction, sometimes.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/beingbruno

Online Guile

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 05:56:05 AM »
Anyone in Sochi right now? alot of my Russian friends like going there for vacation, winter and summer. 

Danchik are you still in Moscow or did you relocate?  I worked in Bolshoy Sochi area and it's a very pleasant place. by the beach, sea. if you go inland the mountains are cool. lots of lifts to go up and check out the views.

Registration