The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What’s Cooking for Christmas?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: What’s Cooking for Christmas?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
We're heading round to my parents this year but my sister and her family unfortunately won't be joining us given the current situation. The wife and I are planning to have a leisurely morning, walk the dog down to my parents (which is a decent yomp) and start helping out around 1pm.

I'm on the fish course, which will be done soon after I've poured Negroni's for me and dad and I'll begin to cook, de-shell and put together a crab, langoustine & lobster starter. Light, zingy and very tasty. The beasts should be delivered fresh tomorrow.

Mum and Mrs Rosco will be cooking the three bird roast with roast potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts/pancetta, carrots & parsnips, bread sauce and the gravy. Washed down with lashings of red beaujolais of course......with a few kilted sausages on the side!

Mums arranged the dessert but dads more excited about some new £200 whiskey he's ready to crack open. We've bought board games and of course it'll be a zoom catch up with the missing family. Looking forward to a nice day without the daily covid/brexit updates to grind you down.

Hope you all have a good one, wherever you are!

Sounds wonderful. Cheers Roscoe!  :BEER:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »

Sounds lovely.

I love a shallot vinaigrette or some tobacco & lemon on a raw oyster. I couldn't be arsed shucking 100 of them though..... ;D

Thanks! I expect it will be. The SIL loves the oysters raw as much as I do. They are not usually a big deal to shuck. I'll do a dozen or so, then he'll pick up and do that many or more. Just him and I can knock a 100 out in just a few hours. My son, the wife and daughter don't really care for them but will eat a few, they will make up the difference on the crab claws. My wife and daughter both love the grilled oysters tho which is a PIA to do. While delicious I still see that as a waste of good oysters.

I should mention though, I have never heard of either shallot vinaigrette or some tobacco(sp?) & lemon on oysters. Might be worth trying sometime. I'll eat about half of mine straight and the other half with a dash of tabasco and lemon. The SIL is prone to horseradish and lemon

Tabasco and lemon on raw oysters is traditional and the best IMO.

Although raw oysters or even grilled on Christmas day isn't something I've ever done. It's interesting to read all the different ways people are preparing a feast.

Cheers!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »
We decided to have a Duchy beef joint instead of turkey (for those over the pond, Duchy is the organic grocery brand belonging to Prince Charles).

Turkey seems a bit passé. Seems daft to pay through the nose for something you only eat because it's a habit one day a year.

Wifey (thanks to Andrew) has just discovered port. So a twenty-year-old bottle of that has appeared. I'll be on Aussie wine - sod the EU.  tiphat

Quiet day at home for us with my son and our daughter. Open fire going, general relaxation. Nice to have a few days off, Monday being a bank holiday makes it a four day weekend.

Is a "beef joint" another way to say a pot roast?

That, the port and then a fire going sounds great.

Cheers!

Online Guile

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
A seafood platter feast for Christmas is decadent!  I don't like Turkey and never saw the appeal of it for Thanksgiving or Xmas.

Will probably do slow roasted prime rib, potatoes au gratin, white wine cream pasta and a salad or 2.

Cigars, espresso, and a cheese plate to end the night.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 12:12:19 PM »
What makes this thread great, is the variety and or choices folks have.
To me, what ever you eat or don't try and enjoy a relaxing day.
If not religious, still lots to be merry for and try to remember a few folks
along the way.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Is a "beef joint" another way to say a pot roast?

Almost, but they differ slightly.

It's one of these anyway.

But now you have given me the idea, I might do it pot roast style.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
Any way have a good one all... and remember there is always someone out there not having such a good time..

Live life to the full whilst you can..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »

Enjoy the day with your grandkids.
I’m not an oyster fan but looks like you’re all set to have a small oyster feast so enjoy.

Thanks! We certainly intend to, the kids too. We get together a couple of times a month but the holidays make it extra special for the little ones. There's plenty more to the spread I didn't mention, The oysters are just a small portion. We have ordered in the past up to 300 and over several days ate them all. Merry Christmas!

We decided to have a Duchy beef joint instead of turkey (for those over the pond, Duchy is the organic grocery brand belonging to Prince Charles).

Turkey seems a bit passé. Seems daft to pay through the nose for something you only eat because it's a habit one day a year.

Wifey (thanks to Andrew) has just discovered port. So a twenty-year-old bottle of that has appeared. I'll be on Aussie wine - sod the EU.  tiphat

Quiet day at home for us with my son and our daughter. Open fire going, general relaxation. Nice to have a few days off, Monday being a bank holiday makes it a four day weekend.

How much do ya'll pay for a turkey over there. It's actually quite cheap here especially during the holidays

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »

Although raw oysters or even grilled on Christmas day isn't something I've ever done. It's interesting to read all the different ways people are preparing a feast.

Cheers!

I'm about half and half straight vs tabasco & lemon. I like them straight especially when they have a good salty brine. The tabasco and lemon breaks up the flavors for the every other one or so. Merry Christmas there brother!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
Seems we are having a beetroot/herring pie. Tastes wonderful each year. Glad to have a wonderful cook because I sure can't cook  tiphat
Shuba?

yep. This one looks a lot like the ones we are serving:

https://letthebakingbegin.com/layered-beet-salad-with-herring-shuba/
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 06:06:02 PM »

Cheers!

I'm about half and half straight vs tabasco & lemon. I like them straight especially when they have a good salty brine. The tabasco and lemon breaks up the flavors for the every other one or so. Merry Christmas there brother!

Thank you brother and likewise!

Let's all hope and pray that 2021 is significantly better than 2020!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
Re: What's Cooking for Christmas?
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
What makes this thread great, is the variety and or choices folks have.
To me, what ever you eat or don't try and enjoy a relaxing day.
If not religious, still lots to be merry for and try to remember a few folks
along the way.

I cooked eggplants as a part of appetizers.
Some my friends are crazy about it.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2020, 04:03:54 AM »

Sounds lovely.

I love a shallot vinaigrette or some tobacco & lemon on a raw oyster. I couldn't be arsed shucking 100 of them though..... ;D

I should mention though, I have never heard of either shallot vinaigrette or some tobacco(sp?) & lemon on oysters. Might be worth trying sometime. I'll eat about half of mine straight and the other half with a dash of tabasco and lemon. The SIL is prone to horseradish and lemon

Typo indeed.

The shallot vinaigrette or Mignonette works perfectly with raw oysters. Simple to make too. Finely chopped shallots and red wine vinegar. A squeeze of lemon and a few drops of tabasco sauce works too.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it..... :)

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2020, 04:21:44 AM »
We're heading round to my parents this year but my sister and her family unfortunately won't be joining us given the current situation. The wife and I are planning to have a leisurely morning, walk the dog down to my parents (which is a decent yomp) and start helping out around 1pm.

I'm on the fish course, which will be done soon after I've poured Negroni's for me and dad and I'll begin to cook, de-shell and put together a crab, langoustine & lobster starter. Light, zingy and very tasty. The beasts should be delivered fresh tomorrow.

Mum and Mrs Rosco will be cooking the three bird roast with roast potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts/pancetta, carrots & parsnips, bread sauce and the gravy. Washed down with lashings of red beaujolais of course......with a few kilted sausages on the side!

Mums arranged the dessert but dads more excited about some new £200 whiskey he's ready to crack open. We've bought board games and of course it'll be a zoom catch up with the missing family. Looking forward to a nice day without the daily covid/brexit updates to grind you down.

Sounds like a good day planned.
What birds are going in the roast?
The shellfish starter sounds yummy.
I’m mulling over doing a king prawn and wild sm salmon starter with avocado and asparagus but it’s still being formulated in my head.
 The whisky is intriguing. Let us know what it is?

The three bird roast is one from our local butcher. Boneless, easy to carve and very tasty. Turkey/Chicken/Duck combo. I'll let you know about the fire water, I'm equally intrigued!!  ;D

Get on the smoked salmon/king prawn with avocado salsa DS......

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/smoked-salmon-avocado-salsa-prawns-recipe/0kiy0f9l

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2020, 04:24:41 AM »
I'll be on Aussie wine - sod the EU.  tiphat

:ROFL:

I don't really feel like buying anything French at the moment either!!

Have a good one when it comes....

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 04:25:37 AM »

Sounds wonderful. Cheers Roscoe!  :BEER:

Have a good one mate!  :BEER:

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
Unfortunately I am not together with Julia in Kiev this year. Thus I have been tapped to be responsible for two appetizers and two main entrées on Friday, (At different locations/times)

Dinner one Salmon tartar and Racks of Lamb. Worth noting I have never gotten the lamb perfect.

Dinner two, Lobster Bisque and Roast of filet Mignon.

The first is timing - the second at brothers is easy peasy and pure chaos. But I can do the beef entree to my perfection either asleep or sloshed. The appetizers are just pure prep work. (Warm or present and serve)
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 05:33:43 AM »
I'll be on Aussie wine - sod the EU.  tiphat

:ROFL:

I don't really feel like buying anything French at the moment either!!

Stopped buying French a long time ago. There’s lots of other interesting wines out there.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2020, 05:37:02 AM »

Sounds like a good day planned.
What birds are going in the roast?
The shellfish starter sounds yummy.
I’m mulling over doing a king prawn and wild sm salmon starter with avocado and asparagus but it’s still being formulated in my head.
 The whisky is intriguing. Let us know what it is?

The three bird roast is one from our local butcher. Boneless, easy to carve and very tasty. Turkey/Chicken/Duck combo. I'll let you know about the fire water, I'm equally intrigued!!  ;D

Get on the smoked salmon/king prawn with avocado salsa DS......

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/smoked-salmon-avocado-salsa-prawns-recipe/0kiy0f9l
Looks nice.  tiphat
I have something a little different in mind. I’ll post a picture of the finished product tomorrow.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »

Same to you and your wife.  tiphat

How much do ya'll pay for a turkey over there. It's actually quite cheap here especially during the holidays

$50 wouldn't be unusual. I saw some for about $30 in Costco yesterday, I assumed they'd been discounted. It's a big business here, people are ordering them in September and October. You can get smaller ones or prepared breasts etc, but quality often goes hand in hand with price.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »
Over here in years past some grocery store promotions would give a Turkey free if they spent a certain amount. Not sure if that is still the case however they are probably still being discounted.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
I just posted something here and its not appeared, is there a lockdown stopping posts  somewhere???
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Well, that worked, but am not gonna write it all again...

Merry Christmas to each and every poster on the site wherever you are, may you all enjoy your repasts, and enjoy a virus free day tomorrow, stay healthy....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
we pay about $45-50 Cad.
but smaller bird and its organic
which increases price.

I think for grocery store bird,
20 pounder around $35

But as Manny said, you get what you pay for.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
I used to pay around £85 for a bird at our local butchers. Good quality meat.

Registration