The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Buying a dog in Russia  (Read 889 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Buying a dog in Russia
« on: December 06, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
So my wife would like to buy some chihuaha in Netherlands.

These dogs must be huuuugely popular, because the first 2 litters at most well-known breeders have already been reserved and the 3d litter would be one where we get a choice of puppy.
(there are 36 official chihuahua breeders in the netherlands).

So she diverted to a moscow-based breeder.

The whole process was actually quite painless. She paid some Russian bint 50 euro for advice only to get a 'feel' of the market, and then we selected & bought a puppy from a Russian breeder.

Second puppy we also bought from a kazakhstan breeder but that one is more problematic in that we still have to pay for the puppy and getting money from NL->kazakhstan is not easy. Eventually moneygram proved to be the mostly painless method.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Buying a dog in Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:51:06 PM »
Mark, Ik kan een antwoord geven, maar ik vermoed dat, de moderators verontwaardigd zouden zijn.

Ik zou in België op zoek gaan naar een hond. Ik moet zeggen dat ik een hekel heb aan hondtjes.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
So my wife would like to buy some chihuaha in Netherlands.

These dogs must be huuuugely popular, because the first 2 litters at most well-known breeders have already been reserved and the 3d litter would be one where we get a choice of puppy.
(there are 36 official chihuahua breeders in the netherlands).

So she diverted to a moscow-based breeder.

The whole process was actually quite painless. She paid some Russian bint 50 euro for advice only to get a 'feel' of the market, and then we selected & bought a puppy from a Russian breeder.

Second puppy we also bought from a kazakhstan breeder but that one is more problematic in that we still have to pay for the puppy and getting money from NL->kazakhstan is not easy. Eventually moneygram proved to be the mostly painless method.

Too bad you didn't look at miniature Australian shepherds, a much better breed IMO.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:53:22 AM »
Stuff like Paysend, Transferwise or XE doesn't work for Kazakhstan? I've used them successfully for some exotic destinations in the past.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:21:09 AM »
Stuff like Paysend, Transferwise or XE doesn't work for Kazakhstan? I've used them successfully for some exotic destinations in the past.
crap conversion rate from eur-rub-krb . It pays to check the cheapest route. Normally i couldnt care less but with prices of dogs it can save you 50 to 100 euro
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria