The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Licence to thrill  (Read 1786 times)

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Licence to thrill
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:25:02 AM »
Last week I passed my skills test/check ride and got my private pilots licence. It's quite a relief having been grounded through covid lock down and delayed by some pretty miserable weather but its all come together nicely.

I had 9 written exams to pass, 1 oral exam, complete the full programme of exercises, do a 150NM qualifying cross country landing at 2 away airfields including 1 controlled airport and then a 4 hour session with a CAA examiner who again grills you on everything from your flight planning, NOTAMS, aircraft GK, fuel calculations, MSA's and Tech docs before a 2.5 hour flight covering a navigation route with a diversion, basic instrument navigation, simulated engine failures, various configurations of stalling, high bank turns, flying with 'foggles' and only using the 6 pack dash followed by some circuit work landings, full flap, flapless, glide lands, aborted take off procedures etc.

Individually its reasonably straight forward but collectively and under assessment, its a long day trying to keep it all together. I had stressed about the day but in all honesty I was well prepared and actually enjoyed the test. I think I flew really well but the examiner was great, which always helps. As with many things, it was one of life most important mantra's which remained relevant - fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I put in the hours and on the day nothing was particularly difficult.

My online licence application has been submitted and I now look forward to enjoying the skies with my friends and family. Cant wait to do some island hopping for some lunch and enjoy the world from above.

:plane:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Licence to thrill
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:27:57 AM »
Last week I passed my skills test/check ride and got my private pilots licence. It's quite a relief having been grounded through covid lock down and delayed by some pretty miserable weather but its all come together nicely.

I had 9 written exams to pass, 1 oral exam, complete the full programme of exercises, do a 150NM qualifying cross country landing at 2 away airfields including 1 controlled airport and then a 4 hour session with a CAA examiner who again grills you on everything from your flight planning, NOTAMS, aircraft GK, fuel calculations, MSA's and Tech docs before a 2.5 hour flight covering a navigation route with a diversion, basic instrument navigation, simulated engine failures, various configurations of stalling, high bank turns, flying with 'foggles' and only using the 6 pack dash followed by some circuit work landings, full flap, flapless, glide lands, aborted take off procedures etc.

Individually its reasonably straight forward but collectively and under assessment, its a long day trying to keep it all together. I had stressed about the day but in all honesty I was well prepared and actually enjoyed the test. I think I flew really well but the examiner was great, which always helps. As with many things, it was one of life most important mantra's which remained relevant - fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I put in the hours and on the day nothing was particularly difficult.

My online licence application has been submitted and I now look forward to enjoying the skies with my friends and family. Cant wait to do some island hopping for some lunch and enjoy the world from above.

:thumbsup:  I could add Private flights from St Petersburg to the Uk now if you got a little jet :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:35:00 AM »

Congratulations!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:39:08 AM »
Well done!  :bow:

I started lessons some time ago, but didn't continue with it as although fun, I recognised what a lot of work it was going to be and wondered how much I'd actually use it when I passed it.

So when you want to fly now you rent one? How does it work when you've left the school?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:47:56 AM »

:thumbsup:  I could add Private flights from St Petersburg to the Uk now if you got a little jet :)

Corporate and cargo is the only way to make money out of aviation these days!!  :thumbsup:

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »
Well done!  :bow:

I started lessons some time ago, but didn't continue with it as although fun, I recognised what a lot of work it was going to be and wondered how much I'd actually use it when I passed it.

So when you want to fly now you rent one? How does it work when you've left the school?

I remember you offered me a spare log book once!

Yea flying is fun but when you start getting into the nuts and bolts of it, its a complicated game and it takes time and motivation to learn. I think the training process weeds out quite a few people early on for various reasons. For starters, the written exams are a lot more difficult than I had ever imagined and a lot of people get put off.

My biggest worry through all of this was the covid lockdown's. The CAA have built in a tolerance but essentially once you pass an assessment the clock starts ticking for the licence or rating and once its expired, its back to the beginning. I had 3 skills tests (final test) postponed due to bad weather at a time where the Scottish Nazi Party were looking at possibly locking us in our homes again. Thankfully that's all behind me now.

I'm a member at the flying club/flight school so I can buy hour packages (the more hours you buy the cheaper it is per hour) and then use their online booking system to hire a plane. They also have a full engineering & servicing department there so I feel its a bit safer than buying a share in a plane.

If I wanted to go commercial then I'd need to hour build anyway but with business currently doing alright, I'm planning to enjoy aviation in my spare time and see where the world goes over the next few years.

The school/club keep a record of my log book and it all counts towards whatever I may or may not do in future. Right now I'm thinking more about flying out to Islay for a lobster lunch with the wife or scallops in Skye for a mid morning breakfast.  ;D

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
Love it!

Some of the stuff written in one of Alan Sugar's books put me off too. He has had his licence for years and complained about the need to learn lots of hypothetical stuff he'll never need and retests and constant retraining. Although he has a jet not a prop so there's probably more to that.

If you fancy bobbing down, Barton is our nearest private airport. Near the Trafford Centre.  :plane:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 06:32:39 AM »
That’s great Rosco.
I had also started on a PPL programme some years ago but work, life got in the way. ( excuses, I know)
Have thought about doing it in Florida but again, finding a long spell to do it in one go isn’t easy.

One day perhaps!!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
Love it!

Some of the stuff written in one of Alan Sugar's books put me off too. He has had his licence for years and complained about the need to learn lots of hypothetical stuff he'll never need and retests and constant retraining. Although he has a jet not a prop so there's probably more to that.

If you fancy bobbing down, Barton is our nearest private airport. Near the Trafford Centre.  :plane:

Yea night ratings, multi engine and instrument ratings all need to be revalidated regularly so unless you're actually using it commercially, I could see it being a ball ache. As long as I fly once every 40 days I'm good with the flight school but the actual PPL currency isn't too bad.....so long as you're happy to take your life in your own hands!!

Absolutely. I'm planning on doing a fair bit over the next year or two so I'll keep it in mind!  :BEER:

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:27 AM »
That’s great Rosco.
I had also started on a PPL programme some years ago but work, life got in the way. ( excuses, I know)
Have thought about doing it in Florida but again, finding a long spell to do it in one go isn’t easy.

One day perhaps!!

Cheers mate.

It has been pretty demanding especially when you've got other plates to keep spinning, but very rewarding. Looking forward to using it now rather than preparing for assessment.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 07:15:38 AM »
That’s great Rosco.

One day perhaps!!

Cheers mate.

It has been pretty demanding especially when you've got other plates to keep spinning, but very rewarding. Looking forward to using it now rather than preparing for assessment.
Maybe you could offer to fly in Mobys woman 🤔

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
That’s great Rosco.

One day perhaps!!

Cheers mate.

Could you imagine the drama when I suggest he pays for the service? And where do I deliver her - Cyprus, France, Ireland, UK......I'd have EU directives and all sorts thrown my way...... :chuckle:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
Congrats Rosco!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
That’s great Rosco.

One day perhaps!!

Cheers mate.

Could you imagine the drama when I suggest he pays for the service? And where do I deliver her - Cyprus, France, Ireland, UK......I'd have EU directives and all sorts thrown my way...... :chuckle:
He’ll offer to pay for some fuel, no doubt.  :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
He'd offer to pay, after borrowing the money from some other mug. And then he'd argue about why he shouldn't have paid and why he can justify not repaying the €7 loan.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »
Congratulations on the license! I'd say I'm envious but I have no motivation to do the work involved.

New challenges keep us alive.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »

He'd want to pay you by PayPal though. You'd get a chargeback the week after.  :ROFL:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
Learning a new skill is almost always a good thing.

Sometimes in a formal setting, I instruct sailing which while not as technical as flying is an on odd skill, you can NOT see the wind or shoals and tacking and jibing are something I can do with my eyes closed, but conveying that knowledge, and even more important convincing a student that they can do it, is some times a challenge.  :travel: For what it is worth I have been complimented by the students and more important the subsequent instructors for the skill set the students arrive with for the next level. The odd thing the best instructors are those who enjoy sharing there skills and knowledge.

An open and willing student and an instructor who can communicate abstract concepts, preferably not in natural English, is essential.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
Congrats, very cool.
Something I have thought at looking at, but never took
the time, nearest school being an hour away doesn't help.
Time is my biggest enemy.

My brother inlaw did it, bought a small sea plane with a another guy.
They moved up to bit bigger ( 6 seater) I am sure costs went up with it LOL.

I can imagine the hard work, money and time. Nice to you get rewarded, enjoy  tiphat

There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »

Congrats on being High in the sky Roscoe.

High Flight
By John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.
"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »
Congratulations on the license! I'd say I'm envious but I have no motivation to do the work involved.

New challenges keep us alive.

Cheers Andrew. New challenges keep the grey matter ticking over!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 01:56:40 AM »
Learning a new skill is almost always a good thing.

Sometimes in a formal setting, I instruct sailing which while not as technical as flying is an on odd skill, you can NOT see the wind or shoals and tacking and jibing are something I can do with my eyes closed, but conveying that knowledge, and even more important convincing a student that they can do it, is some times a challenge.  :travel: For what it is worth I have been complimented by the students and more important the subsequent instructors for the skill set the students arrive with for the next level. The odd thing the best instructors are those who enjoy sharing there skills and knowledge.

An open and willing student and an instructor who can communicate abstract concepts, preferably not in natural English, is essential.

A couple of the companies I work with are global marine brands and I know quite a bit about sailing from the aspirational through to inshore and I take my hat off to you guys.

The bit about communication is pretty key in all relationships, none more so than a foreign wife.  :thumbsup:

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 01:58:43 AM »
Congrats, very cool.
Something I have thought at looking at, but never took
the time, nearest school being an hour away doesn't help.
Time is my biggest enemy.

My brother inlaw did it, bought a small sea plane with a another guy.
They moved up to bit bigger ( 6 seater) I am sure costs went up with it LOL.

I can imagine the hard work, money and time. Nice to you get rewarded, enjoy  tiphat

Thanks mate.

Yea aviation isn’t cheap but I’m contemplating 3 runs to Columbia & then retiring!!  ;D

Have you seen the movie, American Made with Tom Cruise? It’s worth a watch.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 01:59:31 AM »

Congrats on being High in the sky Roscoe.

High Flight
By John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.
"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Thanks Billy  tiphat

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 06:33:09 AM »
Better not advertising your flight plans and retirement?
:)

But please feel free to invite me to your retirement party on the Costa Del Sol!

Registration