The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tesla Electric Cars  (Read 566 times)

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Tesla Electric Cars
« on: September 20, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
Tesla is the biggest bubble on the markets.

Tesla manufactures in China but it is only for the Chinese market and hires most of its workforce from the Chinese population. It will be interesting to see if they have a future problem with China. Actually I think they will.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Tesla Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:20:28 AM »
Tesla manufactures in China but it is only for the Chinese market

That explains why I saw many Teslas in China. It would have been odd for them to import such an expensive car as it doesn't tick many of the boxes Chinese buyers like.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

Let's see how this post ages:

Trump will 100% be the President on Jan 20. History is about to be made and the World gets to see how real Americans deal with corruption.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:36 AM »

That explains why I saw many Teslas in China. It would have been odd for them to import such an expensive car as it doesn't tick many of the boxes Chinese buyers like.

There are a fair few here also.. they have a main dealer in Moscow. Only the other night some guy pulled up outside the restaurant in a brand new 100 grande model got a lot of people looking, Had a nose myself very nice interior just like the Space X rocket.. :thumbsup:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »

Tesla sold a lot of cars in China before they started to manufacture there. The reason for this some Chinese cities will not let new cars on the road unless they have zero emission. Before that a Chinese person would have to buy an old car and scrap it in order to buy a new one. The price of old cars got very high, making Teslas  good buy in China. This is what is called pollution control Chinese style. There are several up start companies in China who are going to make EV. In addition to that China is the worlds largest oil importer and they want to lose that status. So I would expect a very favorable environment in China for EV. If you want to invest in China look at EV car companies. I am pretty sure in the end the Chinese will do something dirty and make it un profitable for Tesla to sell cars there.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »

The Chinese are serious about new nergy vehicles (EV, hybrid and fuel cell) . They have a range of incentives to buyers. They were due to end this year but have been extended in a modified form for an extra two years.
Over there, NEV's are about 5% of new car sales (1.2 million in 2019) planned to be 25% by 2025.

Tesla have sold about 60K cars in China in 2020. They are made in Shanghai so I reckon that a lot of them are floating around that region.

It looks like Tesla cars will no longer be able to get manufacturer incentives due their price. Car buyers pay a 10% purchase tax on new cars. The rate is zero for EVs, hybrids and fuel cell vehicles. As far as I can see, that will still apply to Tesla's products.

Given the numbers, I bet there were a lot of NEVs that you would not have even noticed! Tesla is, at the moment, a tiny part of the sales of NEVs.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
I am not sure what you call tiny they sell more ev than anybody else in the world. Like I wrote a couple of years ago everyone will be making an EV by 2020. My bet is either a  new ev battery chemistry needs to happen or we will end up with everyone using fuel cells.

Surprise your not into cryptos. Many countries are going to be going to digital currency and all the dark money is likely to need to end up in cryptos. This is like the biggest move in cryptos ever. Trillions of dollars of worth currencies need to find a home someplace when they can no longer be in government based currency.  The USA dollar is likely to go digital next year and all paper will cease giving the government complete control over who has money. If they do not like you they just delete your money.  It will be a huge change.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »

On battery day Tesla announced their new batteries will no longer use any cobalt. The new battery will cost less than 1/2 as much as the battery now in use. It will have a power to weight ratio improvement of about twenty per cent. The new batteries will produce less heat while charging and discharging. Tesla tells us this is a very important improvement. Tesla will come out with a new model for twenty five thousand dollars and will be price competitive with gas.  The down side of all of this none of it will be seen in new tesla cars for three years.

The factory in China is ramping up productions. This is the first year they are producing there and they are still ramping up production. The plant only open in late 2019 and had to shut down because of the virus. Tesla is planning a second plant in China as the first plant will not be able to keep up with expected demand even when fully on line.

Tesla is trying to build two plants in Germany. One for batteries and one for 500,000 cars. They are having all kind of problems with Germany causing construction delays. Gee they should of built the plants in Ukraine or even Poland.  Germans do not want new jobs.

Tesla is selling off today like I expected. Down about ten percent and down about 20 per cent from recent highs. I thought it would be hard for investors to be happy with the results. My guest is investor would like to see more of this come about sooner. It appears the new battery requires a very different manufacturing process and the machines have yet to be designed and built to manufacture these batteries in mass quantities.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
While I sort of understand the opinions of posters it might be more interesting to have a dedicated Tesla thread. Oddly enough N. Tesla has a White Slav background. For the good order he has no connection to the 'car' company.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:54:59 AM »
While I sort of understand the opinions of posters it might be more interesting to have a dedicated Tesla thread.

Good idea. Et voila.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

Let's see how this post ages:

Trump will 100% be the President on Jan 20. History is about to be made and the World gets to see how real Americans deal with corruption.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 07:09:27 AM »
Texan77, are you lazy or illiterate?
Perhaps both. Go read (or get someone else to read to you) my posts. Don't imagine what I wrote. If you don't understand ask a question.

To make it simple for you: Tesla might become the largest producer of NEVs in China.

I made a simple point that there are many more NEVs on the road in China, many of which would not even be recognised as such by a casual visitor.

Tesla cars, on the road, form only a tiny part of that group of cars. The numbers are there in my posts.

Stop imagining that which you are unable to understand.

I am willing to help people with difficulties such as yourself - that's why I took the time to explain, for your benefit, in a subsequent post. Only by learning and improving can we progress.

Online cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 08:22:33 PM »
IIRC I saw a innovation video that indicated there are over 400+ EV Companies including many startups in China - a reason so Many Japanese, German and USA Car Companies introducing 100% EVs...

As I like to go Trout and Salmon fishing up in the mountains and by the Sea I still prefer plug-in Hybrids and need to find remote gas stations which are plentiful between here and Montreal...  The Hyundai Sonata has a new Plug In Hybrid I saw some adverts for - My Favorites are the Lexus Hybrid line - not sure how many are plug in Hybrids... with a Solar Powered home most of your local travel with a Plug In charged at home over night would be free - Perhaps another reason so many Middle East Oil Emirates/Kingdoms are rushing into Peace/Technology deals with Israel they see the writing on their Oil Based Economy Walls...

Offline Texan77

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 04:44:59 PM »
Tesla is acquired the rights to mine 10,000 acres for lithium in the USA. It has claimed that it has develop away to mine lithium out of clay which to date has never been commercially done.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/tesla-aims-to-mine-its-own-lithium-after-dropping-m-a-plan/ar-BB19vNhb?ocid=msedgntp

Tesla also make batteries. That have announce that they are cutting the cost of their home power wall by 27 per cent and cuts for commercial power systems batteries for power commercial companies. This is a picture of Tesla battery plant. The plant has been up since 2016 but is still not complete. When complete it will be one of the largest building in the world and mainly powered by renewables. (Wind and solar) It will only make batteries and it is close to where tesla plans to mine Lithium. 

Offline Filip

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:00 AM »

For example, what problems will be?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 06:58:32 AM »
Texan77, Tesla does NOT make batteries - other than perhaps a few as part of its own research and development.
Panasonic makes the majority of the batteries that go into Tesla products. The Panasonic plant is part of the Tesla car manufacturing site in Nevada.

Tesla also has contracts with two other companies: South Korea's LG Chem Ltd and China's Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd.

To be fair, it is easy to understand your confusion. Tesla uses careful language to disguise the truth and many journalists don't bother to clarify when they write.

Online Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »
Porsche Taycan to compete with Tesla model S.

I know which one I would buy, if I had the money and a desire to purchase all electric. Porsche baby, all day long!

Although in reality I would consider a hybrid car like a Honda or a Toyota, I am not interested in all electric.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/entry-level-porsche-taycan-tesla.amp
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Registration