The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Turkey-Greek war  (Read 943 times)

Online Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Turkey-Greek war
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »
I wonder how this will end up being the fault of the USA? A Greek war ship had an intentional collision last night with a Turkey war ship. Now Germany is going to try to sort this out but oh they forget to fund their military. So why is anyone going to listen to them. It seem Turkey is going broke and is getting desperate. So they want to try to get some money and the best way to do this is to pull a Chinese move and is to steal a few Greek Islands with oil on them. The USA not wanting to get involved and no leadership in Europe we are on the brink of war.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/war-between-greece-and-turkey-now-real-possibility-165465
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Turkey-Greek war
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
steal a few Greek Islands with oil on them. The USA not wanting to get involved .......

If there's stealing to be had and oil, you lot will be there soon enough. Nobody cares about Greece or Turkey so you have a clear run.

Get Hillary down there with flags and cookies. Hunter Biden needs a job, I'm sure he is eminently qualified to work in a a Greek or Turkish utility as he was in Ukraine.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Texan77

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:30:30 PM »
steal a few Greek Islands with oil on them. The USA not wanting to get involved .......

If there's stealing to be had and oil, you lot will be there soon enough. Nobody cares about Greece or Turkey so you have a clear run.

Get Hillary down there with flags and cookies. Hunter Biden needs a job, I'm sure he is eminently qualified to work in a a Greek or Turkish utility as he was in Ukraine.

What fake RT news story is that comment based on?
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »

Factual history.

See the "revolution" in Ukraine for details.

That ended well with US intervention in Russia's backyard didn't it? Oh wait, it didn't.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Texan77

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »

Factual history.

That ended well with US intervention in Russia's backyard didn't it? Oh wait, it didn't.

Nothing was stolen from the Ukraine send story and lets expose it. We are talking about stealing now!!!

Russia has occupied the Ukraine for three hundred years. They finally broke free. You hate the Ukraine for this act of freedom.  So there is nothing about what is good for the Ukraine in anything you write. Getting rid Russia was the best thing to happen to the Ukraine. There number one trade partner now is China. China has more product to offer Ukraine at lower prices and is willing to buy more from Ukraine than Russia was ever. The USA did not steel anything from Ukraine. Please present RT news story where we did. The Ukraine did not belong to Russia. That is where Russia is wrong. Now Ukraine makes its own choices of who it want to do business with.

Online Texan77

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »
Hell the last I heard we did not even claim Vladivostok. Belarus will  soon be part of the Chinese empire also.  For the same reason I just listed. They trade less with Russia every year now more with the EU and China. Notice the trade between Ukraine and the USA is very small. They just do not have anything we need nor do they want anything we make. About all that is happen is we send them a few hundred million in low tech military aid and take up their cause in the UN.

Putin acts like a spoil brat killing thousand of people because Ukraine prefers to trade with the EU. No body took anything from Russia. The Ukraine did not belong to them. Now Ukraine does not belong to the USA neither. It does what it want to do.

Maybe you need to look at maps, see when the borders are for sovereign countries and look up what that means. 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:11 PM »

Factual history.

Lets look at the reality, excluding the Krim, a more unified Ukraine that elected in a fair election by international standards a surprisingly strongly Western oriented president.

A nation that under intense pressure that continues to export essential products.

The Ukraine economy has contracted but is more resilient than the predictions from the Kremlin of 6 months ago.

Further the only oil is on the surface of the sea. And some antiquities in Davy Jones locker. The Greeks and Turks are squabbling like grumpy teeners as they have done for a couple centuries.

Reminds me a frequent poster.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:54:20 AM »
A Greek war ship had an intentional collision last night with a Turkey war ship.

It's Turkish.

The USA not wanting to get involved and no leadership in Europe we are on the brink of war.

Don't be silly.

Nothing was stolen from the Ukraine...

It's Ukraine. Not The Ukraine.

Russia has occupied the Ukraine for three hundred years. 

It's Ukraine and do they teach you this stuff at school in the US?

You hate the Ukraine for this act of freedom.

It's Ukraine.  :whistle:

So there is nothing about what is good for the Ukraine in anything you write.

It's just, Ukraine.  :'(

Getting rid Russia was the best thing to happen to the Ukraine.

Come on Tex FFS.

There number one trade partner now is China.

*Their

I also fact checked you and you're wrong. China was the largest trading partner for the first 1/4 of 2019. China isn't Ukraine's largest trading partner.  :dh:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/ukr
http://www.worldstopexports.com/ukraines-top-15-import-partners/

The USA did not steel anything from Ukraine.

*Steal? You're spelling is almost as bad as your grasp of reality.

The Ukraine did not belong to Russia.

It's still just, Ukraine. I thought you'd been there?  :coffeeread:

Belarus will  soon be part of the Chinese empire also.

Classic Tex with his hill Billy North American views.  :Zzzzsleep:

They (Belarus) trade less with Russia every year now more with the EU and China.

That's because Lukashenko is trying to play Putin off with the West. It's not been the general trend like, ever. This will also be his downfall in the coming days and weeks. Don't try and make this out to be anything else.

Putin acts like a spoil brat killing thousand of people because Ukraine prefers to trade with the EU. No body took anything from Russia.

USA USA USA  :gousa: Ya'll keep sticking your head in the sand now. Yeehaa.  :ROFL:

The Ukraine did not belong to them. Now Ukraine does not belong to the USA neither. It does what it want to do.
Maybe you need to look at maps, see when the borders are for sovereign countries and look up what that means. 

It's still just Ukraine Tex.  :biggrin:

Maybe you need to read a bit of history, maybe not the Uncle Sam version and you might understand better?

Tex - ignoring your grammar, its still hard to appreciate almost anything you write due to your warped views and bigoted take on current affairs and geopolitics. You appear to have consumed decades of US propaganda and we can all see how you really struggle discussing this sort of stuff. I'm not sure whether to blame US education or your laziness but I think you really need to look further than the East/West coast of North America, if you wish to form accurate global opinions.

Back to the main point. Do you really believe Turkey and Greece are genuinely on the brink of war?

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 05:13:51 AM »
A Greek war ship had an intentional collision last night with a Turkey war ship.

It's Turkish.

The USA not wanting to get involved and no leadership in Europe we are on the brink of war.

Don't be silly.

Nothing was stolen from the Ukraine...

It's Ukraine. Not The Ukraine.

Russia has occupied the Ukraine for three hundred years. 

It's Ukraine and do they teach you this stuff at school in the US?

You hate the Ukraine for this act of freedom.

It's Ukraine.  :whistle:

So there is nothing about what is good for the Ukraine in anything you write.

It's just, Ukraine.  :'(

Getting rid Russia was the best thing to happen to the Ukraine.

Come on Tex FFS.

There number one trade partner now is China.

*Their

I also fact checked you and you're wrong. China was the largest trading partner for the first 1/4 of 2019. China isn't Ukraine's largest trading partner.  :dh:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/ukr
http://www.worldstopexports.com/ukraines-top-15-import-partners/

The USA did not steel anything from Ukraine.

*Steal? You're spelling is almost as bad as your grasp of reality.

The Ukraine did not belong to Russia.

It's still just, Ukraine. I thought you'd been there?  :coffeeread:

Belarus will  soon be part of the Chinese empire also.

Classic Tex with his hill Billy North American views.  :Zzzzsleep:

They (Belarus) trade less with Russia every year now more with the EU and China.

That's because Lukashenko is trying to play Putin off with the West. It's not been the general trend like, ever. This will also be his downfall in the coming days and weeks. Don't try and make this out to be anything else.

Putin acts like a spoil brat killing thousand of people because Ukraine prefers to trade with the EU. No body took anything from Russia.

USA USA USA  :gousa: Ya'll keep sticking your head in the sand now. Yeehaa.  :ROFL:

The Ukraine did not belong to them. Now Ukraine does not belong to the USA neither. It does what it want to do.

It's still just Ukraine Tex.  :biggrin:

Maybe you need to read a bit of history, maybe not the Uncle Sam version and you might understand better?

Tex - ignoring your grammar, its still hard to appreciate almost anything you write due to your warped views and bigoted take on current affairs and geopolitics. You appear to have consumed decades of US propaganda and we can all see how you really struggle discussing this sort of stuff. I'm not sure whether to blame US education or your laziness but I think you really need to look further than the East/West coast of North America, if you wish to form accurate global opinions.

Back to the main point. Do you really believe Turkey and Greece are genuinely on the brink of war?
It’s a long running battle this one with Texan  :chuckle:
But guess what, artist of all types including web site builders are among the most unreliable people you find in the USA also. The Ukraine is just not better. I have a good time when I go to the Ukraine and most of the people are usually very nice to me.
Is it just me or how on earth can anybody have a sensible debate with a bloke who after nearly 4 years of membership still can't grasp the fact that there is no "the" in front of the word "Ukraine"!!

How many times????

Wheres the exploding head smiley?
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »

Reminds me a frequent poster.

Except he isn't .. Manny says he's sulking .. You DID mean an actual Greek chap, yes ?

As for the spat .. Turkey was actively sniffing around and surveying in Cypriot waters ...

The US stopped it ;)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »
Rosco, very funny  :laugh:...... you have far more patience than me, I read that short post by Texas earlier and there was so much about it that really jarred with me, but in the end, I thought why bother  :dh:

Bruce, I have been telling people since 2007 there is no 'The' in Ukraine, I've given up now  (:)

I guess Winston Churchill nailed it:-  Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 06:31:39 AM »
I could do a tweak so if someone types 'the Ukraine' it comes up as 'the Ukraine' - but it would be site wide.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 06:32:42 AM »
I could do a tweak so if someone types 'the Ukraine' it comes up as 'the Ukraine' - but it would be site wide.

I bet Tex would find a way round it though, so he could still insert his favourite word  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Online Texan77

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
OK Manny Where is the list of all the things the USA took from the Ukraine. Or is just helping an country who want to be independent stealing now? Maybe you are just full of crap!!!!

Why do you think many Ukrainians helped Germany in ww2? Maybe they hated Russia!!! Poland wants to get rid of it monuments to Russian victories in Poland. So Putin threatens them if they get rid of these. Many Polish people felt there were the Germans Nazis and the Russian Nazis not really much difference. No big victory for them.  Now they are much happier and free. Their country is becoming prosperous.

A huge dislike for Russia is real reason behind Maiden and not wanting to be part of the Russia's trade group and defense pack.  So Putin was concern Ukraine would join the EU and latter NATO and wanted to do everything to destroy Ukraine so this could not happen.   

Just listen to you guys talk. To this day as always the people of Ukraine were always treated as second class by Russia and Russians. This is true of most people here with Russian wives. Centuries of being treated this way has cause this breaking free a great moment for many in the Ukraine. 

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
OK Manny Where is the list of all the things the USA took from the Ukraine. Or is just helping an country who want to be independent stealing now? Maybe you are just full of crap!!!!

Why do you think many Ukrainians helped Germany in ww2? Maybe they hated Russia!!! Poland wants to get rid of it monuments to Russian victories in Poland. So Putin threatens them if they get rid of these. Many Polish people felt there were the Germans Nazis and the Russian Nazis not really much difference. No big victory for them.  Now they are much happier and free. Their country is becoming prosperous.

A huge dislike for Russia is real reason behind Maiden and not wanting to be part of the Russia's trade group and defense pack.  So Putin was concern Ukraine would join the EU and latter NATO and wanted to do everything to destroy Ukraine so this could not happen.   

Just listen to you guys talk. To this day as always the people of Ukraine were always treated as second class by Russia and Russians. This is true of most people here with Russian wives. Centuries of being treated this way has cause this breaking free a great moment for many in the Ukraine.

Chris's wife is from Ukraine. Roscoe's wife is from Belarus. NS1's wife was from Ukraine. Not sure if Av is still married however she's from Ukraine.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »

Just a guess but it most likely is a dyslexic thing with Tex. It takes one to know one.

While I might be wrong translated Ukraine means (The Borderlands) before The Ukraine. Long ago the Rada decided to drop the 'The.' I can respect and accept this, so should Tex.

Online Texan77

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 10:08:19 PM »
In most Slavic languages, "kraina" means "country" or "land" and it what it means to the people of Ukraine who speak Ukrainian. In Russian they make it mean  outskirts or border area. It is just another small way Russia marginalizes Ukraine. 

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »
In most Slavic languages, "kraina" means "country" or "land" and it what it means to the people of Ukraine who speak Ukrainian. In Russian they make it mean  outskirts or border area. It is just another small way Russia marginalizes Ukraine.

Of course it does Tex. Back to bed now pal.  :thumbsup:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 09:34:18 AM »
Not the first time this has come up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine

first used in reference to a part of the territory of Kievan Rus' in the 12th century. The name has been used in a variety of ways since the 12th century, referring to numerous lands on the border between Polish and Kievan Rus' territories. In English, the traditional use was "the Ukraine", which is nowadays less common and officially deprecated by the Ukrainian government and many English language media publications

Kiev Rus is closer to slavic languages like Ukrainian and Serbian than Russian ......
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »
We have an aged topic on this here: "The Ukraine" or "Ukraine" - Which is Correct?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
BRILLIANT!   :smokin:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 08:10:46 PM »
BRILLIANT!   :smokin:

Indeed!

As some belittle other regarding semantics. We watch nations become shells and nationalities become skeletons.

It is reassuring there is no poster in public service.