The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Electrical converter  (Read 854 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Electrical converter
« on: August 12, 2020, 02:28:47 AM »
I have a nice electrical converter that supports regular American plugs (ie my laptop) and also usb ports. 

I've had it since 2013 and I've taken it on numerous trips. 

Considering that I don't want to be left without my laptop working in the middle of a trip I was wondering if anyone knows the life expectancy of these units under normal use? 

I'm not sure if I should purchase another one to have as a backup. 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Electrical converter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 03:52:57 AM »
If its just a step down unit, which is European 220-240v down to US 110-120v and whatever USBs run, maybe 5v, it should last a long time if its a decent one.

There isn't much in one of those to go wrong and as long as you're not running any big amps through it like kettles, heaters, etc. It will be fine. If you're using it for low demand stuff like phones, computers, etc, its is doing no work.

But if such a thing conked out mid trip, you'd buy a local charger. And then you'd have one.

Last time I was in China I'd forgot my plug converter for my phone. I was directed to a nearby shop, and a moment later had a Chinese charger (which is way cooler than the original Apple one actually).
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 03:59:02 AM »
I only use it to charge the laptop, phone and camera. 

I didn't know they sold these overseas because since the laptop requires the electrical conversion it needs to have a port for an american plug. 

The phone can work with just an adapter. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 04:11:20 AM »
Bought one of these ..

Used it on a yacht, narrow boat, ( using mains and inverted supply at 240v), Rep of Georgia, UK, FR ..not 110V .. but covers N.America, UK, EU ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QMVB2WK/

Anker kit is pretty solid
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 04:21:16 AM »
Mine is this type but a different brand.  I need to search in my travel bag for the exact brand.  but its this same layout. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:22:14 AM »
Your laptop runs at something like 19v. If you use a US lead, the usual configuration would be there would be a box inline and 120v goes in and 19v comes out to the unit.

If you buy a European one, 220-240v goes in and the same 19v comes out.

Depending on brand, if the converter box has the 120v lead with a plug on the end into the box, you can put any input in there. On the computer box it would say something like input 50-250v, output 19v". In that case, only the mains lead differs between countries.

But the unit you have looks good for travel.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 05:23:43 AM »
Bought one of these ..

Used it on a yacht, narrow boat, ( using mains and inverted supply at 240v), Rep of Georgia, UK, FR ..not 110V .. but covers N.America, UK, EU ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QMVB2WK/

Anker kit is pretty solid

I bought one like that with a 2 pin Euro plug on while away earlier in the year so kids could all charge phones and other things all at once. Pretty useful for a fiver actually.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Most power supplies for your 'devices' will be compatible with both 110 and 220 volts. Just check the labels on the power supplies and you'll see. In no small part that's down to the type of power supply being used - switching power supplies (the type usually found powering small electronic devices) usually support a wide range of input voltages.

If your plug is just a universal adaptor for the plugs then it will last forever - or at least until you break it. I have one of those devices which I use worldwide. Mine also has a handy USB outlet so I can ditch my fone and tablet chargers. I have one similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VNRBCPH/

The linked device supports devices using up to 880 watts on US wimpy volts and over 1800 watts at 8 amps on proper power. The USB output is good for about 14 watts output.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
Speaking of USB powered devices, as we have a heatwave at the moment, I picked up a couple of these at happy money.

Brilliant little USB powered fan for by my laptop at work.

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 11:51:10 AM »
Just about every laptop, computer, phone, camera I have seen and or bought in the last 20 years has been dual voltage, only required a plug adapter.  What kind of electronics are you buying?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »
Sailor, some old laptops including some from Apple, as I recall, had 'regional' power supplies. It was a marketing limitation, an attempt to get people to buy laptops in their local market. There was a time when such devices were cheaper purchased in the USA so power supplies would not work outside the USA/Japan. Back then power supplied were quite costly. These days £25 will buy a universal power supply but I recall that buying a replacement laptop power supply was not at all cheap.

Back then, I bought a cheap(ish) universal supply in the USA. Used it as a spare for years - still have it but God knows where the adaptor tips are now. It also had a handy USB outlet so it became my first choice power supply both at home and when travelling.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration