Information & Chat > News & Political Discussion

Police Use Smoke Bombs, Tear Gas, Water Cannons to Disperse Protesters in Minsk

(1/4) > >>

Manny:
A large crowd of citizens, dissatisfied with the exit poll on Sunday, have been gathering for an unauthorised rally at Victory Square in Minsk.

Police have used smoke grenades and tear gas to clear protesters in Minsk following Sunday's presidential election, a Sputnik correspondent on the ground reported.

Officers carrying shields and batons then lined up to push the protesters back. Two water cannon vehicles moving ahead of the police column also periodically doused the protesters with water.

According to the correspondent, there have also been clashes between protesters and riot police.

Witnesses on the scene said dozens of protesters have reportedly been arrested. Several ambulances were earlier sent to the site of the protests.

Meanwhile, demonstrators have started to erect barricades of dumpsters in the centre of Minsk, after police pushed them back from the stela Minsk Hero City.

The exit polls and first data from polling sites showed that Lukashenko is set for a landslide victory with about 80 percent of votes. The opposition claims that falsifications took place during the vote.

Source with video

rosco:
Mrs Rosco wasn't happy about the situation over the last month or so and had been contacting UK media to cover the election. Lukashenko managed to manipulate his majority as expected but this time it appears as though the people have had enough. Wifey's friends have been joining protests and things are getting a bit heavy handed.

Today, the internet was cut off and she cant even contact her friends or family.

Just what happens next, remains to be seen. Over the last few months, Mrs Rosco was telling me that Putin had snubbed Lukashenko on a couple of occasions and Russian support was wavering. Today she read something in the Russian press that Putin would potentially support Lukashenko with Russian troops if things kicked off. She's now really worried about a potential civil war with spilled blood and a Ukraine mark II situation happening.

Other than todays press reports, it seems like the UN/EU/Western alliances don't really care all that much about Belarus and have turned a blind eye up until now. Mrs Rosco feels that the people have now had enough and the alleged death, beatings, aggressive police control, Internet blackout and arrests may start an uprising. If they do, I hope that the poor people get the support from those who claim to stand for democracy and justice.

If Belarus had gold or oil, I'm sure this would be getting played out on the news big time and the US would be sending carriers to the Med as we speak.

BillyB:

Some Presidential candidates were jailed. Others fled to country so they won't be jailed. If Trump jailed Biden, there would be heavy protesting and riots in American streets.

--- Quote from: rosco on August 10, 2020, 11:29:56 AM ---If Belarus had gold or oil, I'm sure this would be getting played out on the news big time and the US would be sending carriers to the Med as we speak.

--- End quote ---

Crimea has trillions of dollars of fossil fuel off its waters. USA did not send the military to go get Crimea back for Ukraine so we can be rewarded with cheap energy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/world/europe/in-taking-crimea-putin-gains-a-sea-of-fuel-reserves.html

Manny:

--- Quote from: BillyB on August 10, 2020, 12:01:07 PM ---USA did not send the military to go get Crimea back for Ukraine

--- End quote ---

Because they couldn't have done so if they tried.

The US only fights those it thinks cant fight back. And in places it can loot stuff or acquire long term interests after the place has been destroyed. They won't do anything in Russia's back yard.

I agree with Rosco we hear almost nothing about Belarus on UK news. I bet most people couldn't find it on a map.

rosco:

--- Quote from: Manny on August 10, 2020, 12:39:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: BillyB on August 10, 2020, 12:01:07 PM ---USA did not send the military to go get Crimea back for Ukraine

--- End quote ---

Because they couldn't have done so if they tried.

The US only fights those it thinks cant fight back. And in places it can loot stuff or acquire long term interests after the place has been destroyed. They won't do anything in Russia's back yard.

I agree with Rosco we hear almost nothing about Belarus on UK news. I bet most people couldn't find it on a map.

--- End quote ---

I'll not repeat what Manny posted above but that's pretty spot on.

Billy, don't try and suggest that the US never invades other countries for their own benefit. If you're struggling with google I'll happily give you a couple for starters?

The US is too scared/nervous/not stupid enough to do anything bold in Russia's back yard. What they did in Ukraine has given them a taster for what might happen again. It's a conflict the US cant win. Had the US attempted to take Crimea even the most stupid yank would have expected the worst. Could you imagine Russia occupying Hawaii?

My point about the carrier in the Med was tongue in cheek. The US knows better than to do that.

Belarus still needs some kind of support though because if things go wrong and innocent people die, Russia might watch whilst the rest of the world are too scared to join in. Lukashenko needs the boot but it cant come from the US.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version