The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Digital Services Tax  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Digital Services Tax
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:33:08 AM »
The UK Digital Services Tax that seeks to impose taxes on the likes of Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc. is moving ahead it seems.

As an Amazon seller, I got this today:

Quote from: Amazon
Dear Seller,

We wanted to update you on some changes the Government has introduced in the UK.

This spring, the Government brought in a 2% Digital Services Tax (“DST”) in the UK which will impact fee rates on Amazon UK. While the legislation was being passed, we continued our discussions with Government to encourage them to take an approach that would not impact our Selling Partners and absorbed the increase.

Now that the legislation has passed, we wanted to let you know we will be increasing Referral fees, Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) fees, monthly FBA Storage fees and Multichannel Fulfilment (MCF) fees by 2% for items sold in the UK to reflect this additional cost. We will not apply the increased charges retroactively, but starting 1 September, 2020, the above fee types will increase.

For example, on an item for which the referral fee on Amazon.co.uk is currently 15.0%, you will pay a fee of 15.3%, and for a parcel with a current UK rate of £2.27 (standard parcel ≤0.5kg), you will pay a fee of £2.32 starting 1 September, 2020.

For more information about these upcoming changes, including fee definitions, examples and FAQs, refer to our Help page: https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/help/G366DPWD5P5QFDJP.

Regards,

Amazon Services Europe

So Amazon are passing it onto sellers instead of sucking it up. Most sellers will pass it along to customers I expect. So the tax on Amazon will end up a tax on their sellers and customers.

And it wont stay at 2%...........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Digital Services Tax
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
The UK Digital Services Tax that seeks to impose taxes on the likes of Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc. is moving ahead it seems.

As an Amazon seller, I got this today:

Quote from: Amazon
Dear Seller,

We wanted to update you on some changes the Government has introduced in the UK.

This spring, the Government brought in a 2% Digital Services Tax (“DST”) in the UK which will impact fee rates on Amazon UK. While the legislation was being passed, we continued our discussions with Government to encourage them to take an approach that would not impact our Selling Partners and absorbed the increase.

Now that the legislation has passed, we wanted to let you know we will be increasing Referral fees, Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) fees, monthly FBA Storage fees and Multichannel Fulfilment (MCF) fees by 2% for items sold in the UK to reflect this additional cost. We will not apply the increased charges retroactively, but starting 1 September, 2020, the above fee types will increase.

For example, on an item for which the referral fee on Amazon.co.uk is currently 15.0%, you will pay a fee of 15.3%, and for a parcel with a current UK rate of £2.27 (standard parcel ≤0.5kg), you will pay a fee of £2.32 starting 1 September, 2020.

For more information about these upcoming changes, including fee definitions, examples and FAQs, refer to our Help page: https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/help/G366DPWD5P5QFDJP.

Regards,

Amazon Services Europe

So Amazon are passing it onto sellers instead of sucking it up. Most sellers will pass it along to customers I expect. So the tax on Amazon will end up a tax on their sellers and customers.

And it wont stay at 2%...........

:thumbsup: Welcome to the UK.. expect lots more taxes on the way soon to pay for the cover shit..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 02:33:20 AM »
So the UK government is trying to get Amazon (and others) to pay a reasonable amount of tax and Amazon isn't actually paying the tax - vendors are.

So you know whether Amazon have increased prices of their own offerings or have they eaten those costs? I can see that the services I use don't seem to have done, yet,  but their physical products I can't tell.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:07:08 AM »
So the UK government is trying to get Amazon (and others) to pay a reasonable amount of tax and Amazon isn't actually paying the tax - vendors are.

So you know whether Amazon have increased prices of their own offerings or have they eaten those costs? I can see that the services I use don't seem to have done, yet,  but their physical products I can't tell.
So?

In the physical world this isn't any different. You even get a nice receipt telling you exacly how much you paid in taxes for your purchases. why is this any different in the online world.

Travel companies:

Base price: xxxx
VAT : yyyy
tourism tax: zzzz <- this would be new in amazons case
total: aaaa
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
Mark, in principle I don't disagree but, and there is a but, the British government is concerned that several large online businesses are doing huge business in the UK. Extracting billions of pounds from British buyers and affecting UK based businesses unable to compete with these non-uk businesses.

As I understood it, the idea is to get companies such as Amazon to pay a more representative amount of tax.
Passing the tax on to customers means that the purpose of the new regulations is being sidestepped. Amazon's post tax revenue is unchanged - I am pretty sure that was not the government's intent.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
Its funny when someone says, someone else should suck it up lol.
Reality is the end user pays for everything in one way or another.
why is this any different. Its the way the free market works.

The buyer will determine worth or costs on whether they buy it or not.
supply and demand. every company wants to get their margins.
if costs are lower, higher margins.

Governements always looking for new revenue streams to keep the big wheel
rolling and to cover their waste and scams. ( make MAfia look like amateurs) :)
There is nothing permanent except change.