The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chinese embassy ordered shut in Houston  (Read 1939 times)

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Chinese embassy ordered shut in Houston
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »
The Trump administration has given the Chinese embassy in Houston 72 hours to close. 

A member of the Trump administration was quoted as saying that they should also close the San Francisco embassy due to all the technological companies located in the area. 

Any thoughts?  Good or bad move? 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Chinese embassy ordered shut in Houston
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:04:00 AM »
Good or bad depends on your criteria.
If the United States are seeking to maintain the current state of relations with the rest of the world then this is not a good move.

Given that the United States seem bent on disrupting relations with the rest of the world, especially China, then this is a great move.

China has announced that the US will be leaving their consulate in Chengdu which is situated strategically close to Tibet.

It is likely that the USA will present this closure as an escalation and will use that to further lessen the quality of the bilateral relationship between the two countries. About 200 personnel will be leaving the consulate.

It is likely that the Houston closure was a reaction to the Chinese requirement that US consular staff entering China should undergo testing and isolation before taking up their posts in the Wuhan consulate. The United States wanted to give diplomatic immunity to the coronavirus, something clearly unacceptable to the Chinese.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Omega1982

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:35:58 AM »
ETA Pravda moi drug

Online Texan77

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:19:33 AM »
Ever since China locked down Wuhan but then let thousands of citizens leave to go to the USA and Europe, their relationship with the USA
 went from bad to worse. Now USA opens up air base in Spratly Islands which China claims. This is not a type of video I like but you get the message we are building an airbase.

India, UK, EU, Australia, Japan, and Philippines have all joined forces to displace China out of the south China sea. China lost a world's court case and we are now enforcing the ruling of the case. 

China is has become very disruptive in the USA and we are needing to displace them out of much of the country. There are 1300 patent and 70 espionage cases complaints against China per month which is far more than he rest of the world combined. China is causing us more harm by being here than we are getting good by being in China. So likely there will be a number of embassy closing before it is over. This is to reduce Chinese influence in the USA.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »
Ever since China locked down Wuhan but then let thousands of citizens leave to go to the USA and Europe, their relationship with the USA
 went from bad to worse. Now USA opens up air base in Spratly Islands which China claims. This is not a type of video I like but you get the message we are building an airbase.

India, UK, EU, Australia, Japan, and Philippines have all joined forces to displace China out of the south China sea. China lost a world's court case and we are now enforcing the ruling of the case. 

China is has become very disruptive in the USA and we are needing to displace them out of much of the country. There are 1300 patent and 70 espionage cases complaints against China per month which is far more than he rest of the world combined. China is causing us more harm by being here than we are getting good by being in China. So likely there will be a number of embassy closing before it is over. This is to reduce Chinese influence in the USA.
I think you need to be careful about posting such hype and disinformation.
Firstly, the video you posted is just about the Philippines repairing an old airstrip in the Spratlys and is not, as you describe, about the US establishing an airbase there.

Secondly, India, the UK, EU, Japan, Australia and the Philippines have not, as you put it, joined forces to displace China out of the SCS.

Thirdly, China had a ruling against its claim to its 9 dashl line in an arbitration case lodged by the Phillipines under UNCLOS but China refuses to accept the ruling.
No country is rushing to enforce the ruling.
There is an informal grouping called the Quad consisting of the US, India, Japan and now possibly Australia which conduct interoperability maritime exercises known as Malabar. ( Australia is not yet party to it but may now be invited to join)

Facts are important. Your video is a lot about nothing.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »

I think you need to be careful about posting such hype and disinformation.
Firstly, the video you posted is just about the Philippines repairing an old airstrip in the Spratlys and is not, as you describe, about the US establishing an airbase there.

Secondly, India, the UK, EU, Japan, Australia and the Philippines have not, as you put it, joined forces to displace China out of the SCS.

Thirdly, China had a ruling against its claim to its 9 dashl line in an arbitration case lodged by the Phillipines under UNCLOS but China refuses to accept the ruling.
There is an informal grouping called the Quad consisting of the US, India, Japan and now possibly Australia which conduct interoperability maritime exercises known as Malabar. ( Australia is not yet party to it but may now be invited to join)

Precise facts are very important! Thx Dogsoldier for input.

And where is Gypsy? He’s also a very factual poster.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
The Trump administration has given the Chinese embassy in Houston 72 hours to close.   

I was going to post about this but had no time the last few days.

There was an incident where an embassy in the US was burning some papers - I think Houston as it made me think of Tex - and it became a dramatic incident with firetrucks, etc.

I read on Wechat today they will respond in kind and close two in China. Maybe Chengdu and Hong Kong. They've also cut funding for a US school I read that now has to close.

The US is being rather foolish I think. There's a lot of Chinese money in the US (and in the UK if we end up joining in this silliness). That means jobs, investments, many well paying students, etc. The Chinese can bring a lot of financial pressure to bear. It's better to maintain good relations with them than head towards a new cold war as Trump is doing.

The long and short of it is they are an enemy the US can never beat. Better to play nice.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Texan77

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
Now USA opens up air base in Spratly Islands which China claims. This is not a type of video I like but you get the message we are building an airbase.

The Philippines are open up an air base in what was Chinese Spratly Islands in the middle of the south china sea with USA protection.

The have all agree to send number ships to the south China in defiance of China's control.

The USA is now!!! But each country has to ask for our help. The first country is the Philippines and the Spratly islands as in the video.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 01:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Texan77

The Philippines are open up an air base in what was Chinese Spratly Islands in the middle of the south china sea with USA protection.
Nope. It’s not the Chinese Spratly Islands, it’s what they claim.
As far as US protection goes, that isn’t the case either.

Quote from: Texan

The have all agree to send number ships to the south China in defiance of China's control.
No, they haven’t. What some navies ( the US, UK and Japan) are doing is conducting FNOPs (Freedom of Navigation Ops) in waters the Chinese claim as theirs but which the rest of the world doesn’t.

Quote from: Texan

The USA is now!!! But each country has to ask for our help. The first country is the Philippines and the Spratly islands as in the video. [/font]
Please explain how the US is rushing to enforce the ruling of the Arbitration court. Such vacuous statements are meaningless without some factual basis of corroboration.  :coffeeread:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »

Any chance of getting your frigging bases out of the UK ?? God I wish I lived close to one I would cause lots of problems day after day for all the personal there .. If I was in charge you would get 48 hours to get the hell off the island .. :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »
Texan77, you poor dear, where do you get your propaganda from? Is it pulled fresh from your arse as and when you feel its needed or is it passed to you, plucked steamy, stinky, and dirty from some other anal fundament?

Why not do some learning. You may be old but even an old dog can learn some new tricks!

Have a look here, written by a real expert with solid sources and published on a site that deals with professional IP matters.

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/05/07/rapid-changes-chinese-legal-system-attractive-venue-ip-litigation/id=96099/

I bet that you'd be surprised to know that China registers more patents than the US, Japan, Korea, and European patent offices combined. In 2016 more than 1.3 million patents were registered in China.

It is hard for you guys to understand what China is today. You've been conditioned to think that the USA is the world leader in everything. It isn't true. I have spent a while in China, a lot less than in the USA, but I can tell you this, in many respects the United States looks like a run down, backward place compared to China.

Go renew your passport. Buy a flight ticket, go visit China. Start to correct the years of enforced blindness, prejudice and discrimination. Its not too late.

The country is far from perfect but there's an important difference between the two countries. China is building for the future, the USA can no longer even maintain its past. The contrast is shocking.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Texan77

Online Texan77

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Propaganda source. Pompeo  He is giving a news talk everyday on China almost everyday. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »

Nations spy on each other but certain things cross the lines. Some here may allow a guest to steal from their home. Trump doesn't allow it. China better hope Biden wins.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
I bet that you'd be surprised to know that China registers more patents than the US, Japan, Korea, and European patent offices combined. In 2016 more than 1.3 million patents were registered in China.

It is hard for you guys to understand what China is today. You've been conditioned to think that the USA is the world leader in everything. It isn't true. I have spent a while in China, a lot less than in the USA, but I can tell you this, in many respects the United States looks like a run down, backward place compared to China.

Go renew your passport. Buy a flight ticket, go visit China. Start to correct the years of enforced blindness, prejudice and discrimination. Its not too late.

The country is far from perfect but there's an important difference between the two countries. China is building for the future, the USA can no longer even maintain its past. The contrast is shocking.

Curious Andrew when were you last in China or for that matter Asia? Based on other postings of Texan and for that matter BillyB they are more clued in to an Asian mentality.

My brother has a marine (sailing school and a number of patents) on a regulat basis he gets solicitations to register his patents in China. Since there is at best a fledging interest in yachting from China he passes on the associated costs. I suspect most of the new patents are for items developed outside of China.

Last year at a boat show there was a new product from China, upon examination various parties came to the same conclusion it was a splashed version of a classic design. That is fine and in fact a copy is a form of flattery. But give credit where it is due.

In my world there is a very large lawsuit from the artist J. Koons against a number of Chinese concerns where they have forged his work and displayed it as authentic. While in no way am I admiring or giving respect to Koons 'art' it is indicative of how the China business model works.

Yes China is building for there future. But it is at the cost of screwing the rest of the world.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »
I think Andrews point is that the Chinese continue to innovate by themselves. Not everything is copied. And when it is, they often use that as a springboard to develop what they copied into something better.

His point about much of the US being run down and lacking infrastructure compared to China is also true. When I first went to China I was very surprised that what I found was way better than what I’d imagined. I’ve since been to lots of cities in China and even random places like Ningbo are modern, clean and full of people buzzing about on the fast trains enjoying the free WiFi prodding their Huawei phones.

Many in the west imagine the place to be a filthy, rat infested hell hole full of wizened people who earn a dollar a day eating bats and dogs. Not true.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Texan77

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 01:37:40 AM »
Where the troops are now and how they got there.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 02:21:43 AM »
Where the troops are now and how they got there.

What a load of nonsense. If you’re getting all your ‘info’ from these propaganda clips it’s no wonder you’re fact poor.
If you believe this, then WW3 is just around the corner.

While there are undoubtedly issues with China asserting dubious and refuted claims in the SCS, a few assorted videos of naval formations manoeuvring at sea lends a false import of gravitas to actuality.

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
I read on Wechat today they will respond in kind and close two in China. Maybe Chengdu and Hong Kong.

Bang on cue, the US is kicked out of their embassy in Chengdu over the weekend: U.S. national flag lowered in Chengdu consulate general

You can even watch the video.  :chuckle:

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
 No surprise there, it's not the first time China has stolen ideas from the US    :ROFL:

Offline BillyB

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
I read on Wechat today they will respond in kind and close two in China. Maybe Chengdu and Hong Kong.

Bang on cue, the US is kicked out of their embassy in Chengdu over the weekend: U.S. national flag lowered in Chengdu consulate general

That sucks. We won't be able to steal the latest Chinese technology coming out of Chengdu anymore. I didn't see American personnel burning documents in that video which means there's nothing worth burning
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online Omega1982

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 02:08:56 AM »
Who uses paper files anymore?  I sure don't. It could very well be fake news the whole burning files story

Online Omega1982

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 02:10:46 AM »
Besides isn't it a brighter idea to maintain good relations with a technologically advanced populous and wealthy major global player?  I personally would rather have someone like that as a friend.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 03:14:58 AM »

Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching the US flag lowered and staff kicked out of an embassy  tiphat
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 05:34:49 AM »
Who uses paper files anymore?  I sure don't. It could very well be fake news the whole burning files story
You’d be surprised.