The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Boycott Turkey?  (Read 864 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Boycott Turkey?
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »
Just saw a headline on BBC news app that Agia Sophia will be made a Mosque. If that is the case I will never use Istanbul as a hub, use Turkish Airlines and refrain from spending money in Turkey. The whole point was it being accessible to tourists.IF this is true... I hope that Turkey will 'wake up' or they are going to have lots of empty hotels.

BBC News - Iconic Istanbul museum 'could return to mosque'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53366307

I regularly holiday in Turkey and this should remain a museum. Atatürk and his modernisation of Turkey is in full retreat(
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Boycott Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:25 PM »
You'll never learn.

Who cares about some structure in Turkey?

The Muzzies will do what they want to do in their own lands. It's a Muslim country.

Hell, they pretty much do what they want to do in our land.

Are you bleating about Christian churches being converted to mosques in England? Nope, thought not.

Here you'll bleat we should be "inclusive" and support "diversity". But a building in a Muslim country being converted to a mosque you're up in arms.

Funny bloke.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
This discussion or conversion if you wish has been going on for over a year. Yes there are clear local politics involved. What is new?

As a matter of principle I will not visit for vacation a divided island or a Muslim nation. That is my (our) choice.

This 'building' was in fact the largest Christian cathedral in the world when it was finished. Seen by many of the Christian Orthdox followers as something of a 'holy site.'
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
I regularly holiday in Turkey and this should remain a museum. Atatürk and his modernisation of Turkey is in full retreat(
I never holiday in Turkey, cause you know, Erdogan.

And finally you're catching on to what the rest of us have been saying for years!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 12:30:28 AM »

I never holiday in Turkey, cause you know, Erdogan.

And finally you're catching on to what the rest of us have been saying for years!

IF you go, you'd realise that Turkey is VERY much split between those adhering to the Ataturk principles of secularism and those with an agenda to make Turkey as 'Muslim' country.

I do't believe for a second that the 'coup' was anything other than a false flag to lock up those who stood in the way of change, but if you go to the 'tourist areas' , secularism still reigns. 

When VVP told Erdogan, " no Russian tourists" Erdogan had to back down and say 'Sorry' for shooting down a RU jet..If the tourists say "we'll stay away"... the same effect might happen

Who cares about some structure in Turkey? 

Well, I know you don't ...  :chuckle:

The Muzzies will do what they want to do in their own lands. It's a Muslim country.

You see, you tell me do to comment on N.Korea and then prove you don't understand Turkey.. Islam IS the dominant religion, but it's founder was wise and made the state secular

Hell, they pretty much do what they want to do in our land.

You mean Turks or followers of Islam ?

AGAIN, you don't go to the places you talk about .. You'll find Christian Churches in Turkey and in N.Cyprus

Are you bleating about Christian churches being converted to mosques in England? Nope, thought not.

I'm 'bleating' about a MUSEUM to both religions being turned back into a place of worship for one. when there's a HUGE Mosque, nearby hat doesn't fill up ..THe concept of it's being SECULAR is the issue.

I bleat about the desecration of the G.Orthodox places of worship in '74 on Cyprus ... bte ( you just don't pay attention

Here you'll bleat we should be "inclusive" and support "diversity". But a building in a Muslim country being converted to a mosque you're up in arms.

Funny bloke.

Yup, YOU don't get it ..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 12:35:18 AM »
This discussion or conversion if you wish has been going on for over a year. Yes there are clear local politics involved. What is new?

As a matter of principle I will not visit for vacation a divided island or a Muslim nation. That is my (our) choice.

This 'building' was in fact the largest Christian cathedral in the world when it was finished. Seen by many of the Christian Orthdox followers as something of a 'holy site.'

..and a Russian Tzar ( Nicholas I) wanted to 'free Istanbul from Islam and return Agia Sophia to Christendom, but France and Britain thought he wanted control of the Dardanelles and Bosporus :coffeeread: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 07:42:22 AM »
We are not going there again anyway.. It has become full of rag heads!! Full of nutters and the food has gone down hill .. disgusting I would say, filthy dirty, even some of the best restaurants are serving up re-heated food yuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk..

I used to like Istanbul but not any more :sick0012:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 03:30:13 AM »
We are not going there again anyway.. It has become full of rag heads!! Full of nutters and the food has gone down hill .. disgusting I would say, filthy dirty, even some of the best restaurants are serving up re-heated food yuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk..

I was last there in March and noted that ( at least in tourist areas and the airports ) that ( visibly) hygiene stds were on the up ...

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 05:31:41 AM »

I was last there in March and noted that ( at least in tourist areas and the airports ) that ( visibly) hygiene stds were on the up ...

My guess if you are at the bottom there is only one direction to go.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 07:14:14 AM »
No desire to visit Turkey.

Nothing worse than smarmy Turks leching over women trying to enjoy their holiday.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 05:01:22 AM »

Your 'guesses' being so reliable? ;)

Seriously, when were you last in Turkey ?  I have had food poisoning two times in my life ..... both times in ..the UK :(

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:20 PM »

Seriously, when were you last in Turkey ?  I have had food poisoning two times in my life ..... both times in ..the UK :(

Perhaps this is indicative of the sort of places you frequent.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
Nothing worse than smarmy Turks leching over women

My wife connected through there last year and mentioned that. Looking at flights and possible routes to Russia recently, she said Turkish Airlines and any connection through there was the absolute last resort.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Guile

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:32 PM »
Turks have a bad rep with Russian women which is well deserved... i saw a few trying to hit on some in resorts and it wasn't pretty.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:04 AM »

Perhaps this is indicative of the sort of places you frequent.

1/ 1973 - Young's Frozen Prawns at my Uncle's Grandma and I fell ill on the coach back to Bedford

2/ 2019  after eating Blackened Welsh home-made  Beef burgers at a pub on the Llangollen Canal ...(meal was £45 for two main course only and a couple of beers each ) .. not 'down market'

Hmm, you avoid answering my question and suggested I ate at trashy places ? How interesting ..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 01:42:57 AM »
Turks have a bad rep with Russian women which is well deserved... i saw a few trying to hit on some in resorts and it wasn't pretty.

Well, some Turks refer to FSU W as Natasha's as that is what FSU W prostitutes are called ..

I know not a few stories of FSU W happily married to Turkish guys who do not behave like the stereotypical suggestion on here

For sure, many Turkish guys realise the appeal of FSU W and particularly on the streets of Kiev, one can, in normal circumstances, note not  few TR guys with local girls ..

SC has two acquaintances married to Turks and the hubbies have RU nationality, now .. There was a largish TR community in the retail and construction sector in Sochi - that closed down overnight when the Turks shot down a RU warplane ...many of those biz' closed down, but have returned.

Whist many FSUW don't seek a TR hubbie, there's plenty to be seen in Sochi and they like their wives to have blonde hair ..

I dated a lass from Novorossiysk who had a profile photo of her standing on a yacht ... As I like yachts and sail in TR I recognised the background and it was the opening 'salvo' in courtship.. She was the rather spoilt daughter of a high ranking former Soviet missile base Officer... but she was clearly not adverse to dating a Turk ( or me :chuckle: )  She was 170cm tall, weighed 49Kg, and she knew she turned heads ( including mine ) .. She wanted me to move to Barcelona or Nice.. and found someone from one of those cities and it didn't work out .. (

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 03:47:23 AM »

A friend of mine is a super attractive blonde and was on holiday there a few years ago with her husband and 2 kids. She told me that the Turkish men were just walking up to her on the street in front of her husband and kids and asking her to go away with them. The lecherous behaviour and the stalking wasn't even the worst part for them. They'll never go back.

There's no shame, no class but above all else, no respect. I avoid these sort of places like the plague and Mrs Rosco isn't interested either.

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell me that his experiences supersedes anything else and that we're all wrong.  :dh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 05:09:27 AM »

A friend of mine

Funny, when I mention such things and their experiences, they aren't 'real' ;)

is a super attractive blonde and was on holiday there a few years ago with her husband and 2 kids. She told me that the Turkish men were just walking up to her on the street in front of her husband and kids and asking her to go away with them. The lecherous behaviour and the stalking wasn't even the worst part for them. They'll never go back.

While I talk to SC on the blower, Russian guys pay her compliments and ask for her phone number ..  Does than mean you won't go to Russia ?   On the beach in Limassol ( 'Greek side' ) Violetta would encounter Cypriots who proffered their business cards and asked if they could take her to lunch, even though she was wear her wedding ring on the RIGHT hand ( Orthodox cluebat) ..So, Rosco won't go to Cyprus, either ?  :coffeeread:

Both SC and V lie on beaches in Turkey and Cyprus and expect such 'attention' .. Normally, another Turk / Cypriot is on hand to send the more persistent romeos on their way .. Most FSU W are used to such attention and can handle it ...

There's no shame, no class but above all else, no respect. I avoid these sort of places like the plague and Mrs Rosco isn't interested either.

May be Belarus men are different ? For sure RU guys aren't backwards in coming forwards.. Yesterday, in Perekrostok ( RU supermarket ) SC got propositioned, twice ... :chuckle:

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell me that his experiences supersedes anything else and that we're all wrong.

'Someone' is wondering why you are posting guff on a thread about a UNESCO heritage site - that has been a Christian and Islamic sacred place - then 'Secularised' into a museum... being changed 'back' to a Mosque when attendance is not that great that nearby Mosques are 'full'  :coffeeread:

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 07:58:44 AM »

Seriously, when were you last in Turkey ?

Just curious is it a comprehension issue or a poor and declining memory that is your problem?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
Deflection AND obfuscation?....

You'l be telling us next that no Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn novel was translated into English by 1974...

Next time Manny tells me I shouldn't comment on N.Korea, I'll be thinking of you ..

Offline AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
Deflection AND obfuscation?....

You'l be telling us next that no Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn novel was translated into English by 1974...

Next time Manny tells me I shouldn't comment on N.Korea, I'll be thinking of you ..

Please stop swerving!

Is it such a challenge for you to stay on the topic of the thread you started? I asked a simple question.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 04:33:59 AM »
Please stop swerving!

Is it such a challenge for you to stay on the topic of the thread you started? I asked a simple question.

What ARE you blathering about, AvHdB ?

You're the chap who makes daft historical pronouncements and can't recognise fact from fiction ..

THIS thread is about a UNESCO site ... being used to make a point .. by a 'leader' who is corrupt and taking his country to a dark place

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »

A friend of mine

Funny, when I mention such things and their experiences, they aren't 'real' ;)

is a super attractive blonde and was on holiday there a few years ago with her husband and 2 kids. She told me that the Turkish men were just walking up to her on the street in front of her husband and kids and asking her to go away with them. The lecherous behaviour and the stalking wasn't even the worst part for them. They'll never go back.

While I talk to SC on the blower, Russian guys pay her compliments and ask for her phone number ..  Does than mean you won't go to Russia ?   On the beach in Limassol ( 'Greek side' ) Violetta would encounter Cypriots who proffered their business cards and asked if they could take her to lunch, even though she was wear her wedding ring on the RIGHT hand ( Orthodox cluebat) ..So, Rosco won't go to Cyprus, either ?  :coffeeread:

Both SC and V lie on beaches in Turkey and Cyprus and expect such 'attention' .. Normally, another Turk / Cypriot is on hand to send the more persistent romeos on their way .. Most FSU W are used to such attention and can handle it ...

May be Belarus men are different ? For sure RU guys aren't backwards in coming forwards.. Yesterday, in Perekrostok ( RU supermarket ) SC got propositioned, twice ... :chuckle:

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell me that his experiences supersedes anything else and that we're all wrong.

'Someone' is wondering why you are posting guff on a thread about a UNESCO heritage site - that has been a Christian and Islamic sacred place - then 'Secularised' into a museum... being changed 'back' to a Mosque when attendance is not that great that nearby Mosques are 'full'  :coffeeread:

:ROFL:

What a mentally retarded, argumentative old man you are. It needn’t matter what I wrote, you’d choose to object with screeds of absolute bollocks anyway.

Unlike you, people take my words at face value because I don’t lie, argue, twist and duck in every thread and every forum. That’s why you’re just an old creep who nobody can be bothered wasting time on.

Now f@ck off and go shake your monkey in your mummy’s basement.

Registration