The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Arrival cards for Russian visas  (Read 2428 times)

Offline TwoBitBandit

Arrival cards for Russian visas
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »
My first two Russian vias came back from the consulate with these pre-printed arrival cards in them.  The customs people would retain the card after I left Russia.  (I'm NOT talking abou the card they give you on the airplane pick up in the lobby at the arrival hall in the airport.)

However, my most recent visa didn't come with one of these.

Is that an oversight by the consulate?  Or are these cards no longer required?  I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or not...

Offline mogurx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Arrival cards for Russian visas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
I just received a new tourist-double entry visa  from RU.  Same, nothing more attached or added.  It is glued in the passport pages of a new "electronic" USA passport.

FWIW
Serious error.
Screen. Heart. Both are blank. 
You are 404

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:12:47 PM »
My first two Russian vias came back from the consulate with these pre-printed arrival cards in them.  The customs people would retain the card after I left Russia.  (I'm NOT talking abou the card they give you on the airplane pick up in the lobby at the arrival hall in the airport.)

However, my most recent visa didn't come with one of these.

Is that an oversight by the consulate?  Or are these cards no longer required?  I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or not...

Same with mine when I went in March, no problems entering or leaving Russia at all.
Слава Україні

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
OK, thanks guys.

Offline chivo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:52:49 AM »
Just a FYI in case you didn't already know. The visas rules changed after the New Year. All you need is the visa itself. The process has become easier, especially for the business visas.

Here's another change for those of you (Americans) travelling through Russia to another country. Apparently you will need a transit visa to exit. May want to double check with your visa company to make sure all is well before you leave should this be the case. good luck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1301661.stm

chivo

Offline ardillas

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »
As others have stated, those "arrival" cards are no longer required.  Even when they did come affixed to the page preceding the page containing one´s actual Russian visa, I never saw anyone look at them or collect them.  Rather, the real arrival card distributed on the plane prior to landing (or picked up in the airport arrivals area before passport control) and filled out prior to having one´s passport checked were all that any Russian border officials ever cared about.  I never did understand what purpose those cards previously attached to one´s passport ever served.
"Doveriaj, no proveriaj"