The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: more "little green men" in "grey aircraft" fly into Libya  (Read 765 times)

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
more "little green men" in "grey aircraft" fly into Libya
« on: June 01, 2020, 04:53:05 AM »
Very interesting story in the Murdoch press;
I still can not get my head around the Russian denials of every incursion, that can be tracked by open sources, let alone military resources.  :popcorn:

https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/putins-big-lie-about-moscows-intervention-in-libya/news-story/9e670693c2f32da71f599d61087ac59b

Now I am not saying the US doesn't supply equipment to "favourite" rebels....but they rarely lie about it the way Putin and his lapdogs do. As I've said before, the 1000s of Russian mothers getting their sons bodies back from "training accidents" don't believe it

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: more "little green men" in "grey aircraft" fly into Libya
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 05:39:37 AM »
About two weeks ago I recall glancing at an article where troops of one of the factions fighting in Libya had to withdraw from Behghazi? ? This pull back which sounded more like a major defeat & retreat included a large number of Russian advisors and tactical employees of a Kremlin controlled security company.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 06:09:04 AM »
About two weeks ago I recall glancing at an article where troops of one of the factions fighting in Libya had to withdraw from Behghazi? ? This pull back which sounded more like a major defeat & retreat included a large number of Russian advisors and tactical employees of a Kremlin controlled security company

Sighs,

allow me to help you with FACTS ..

You seem to be mixing up TRIPOLI with Benghazi ..

The UN supported govt in Tripoli has gain territory to the WEST and SW, but the Russian and Saudi based side are pushing up from the south and east to Tripoli

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:25:17 AM »
 :Zzzzsleep: If people with too much sand on there hands want to kill themselves and each other, that is there business. As I noted I glanced briefly at the article, but before I knew where Tripoli and Benghazi are on a map.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 07:32:13 AM »
..and some refer to me 'swerving'  ..

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
Very interesting story in the Murdoch press;
I still can not get my head around the Russian denials of every incursion, that can be tracked by open sources, let alone military resources.  :popcorn:

https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/putins-big-lie-about-moscows-intervention-in-libya/news-story/9e670693c2f32da71f599d61087ac59b

Now I am not saying the US doesn't supply equipment to "favourite" rebels....but they rarely lie about it the way Putin and his lapdogs do. As I've said before, the 1000s of Russian mothers getting their sons bodies back from "training accidents" don't believe it

The US and the  U.K. had no business overthrowing the government of Libya, stealing natural resources and pretending we were spreading “democracy” amidst the chaos and bloodshed.

But this one is funny:

“If the warplanes are in Libya, they are Soviet, not Russian,” Kremlin defence committee chief Viktor Bondarev insists.“

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
The US and the  U.K. had no business overthrowing the government of Libya, stealing natural resources and pretending we were spreading “democracy” amidst the chaos and bloodshed.

No mention of this yet on RT but there is this interesting side story: https://www.rt.com/news/490257-libya-us-russia-fake-money/

As ever, the comments are fun.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
About two weeks ago I recall glancing at an article where troops of one of the factions fighting in Libya had to withdraw from Behghazi? ? This pull back which sounded more like a major defeat & retreat included a large number of Russian advisors and tactical employees of a Kremlin controlled security company

Sighs,

allow me to help you with FACTS ..

You seem to be mixing up TRIPOLI with Benghazi ..

The UN supported govt in Tripoli has gain territory to the WEST and SW, but the Russian and Saudi based side are pushing up from the south and east to Tripoli

From the looks of this map, Avhdb is completely right . Benghazi appears to be overrun and they are now marching towards Tripoli, the capitol of Libya. A lot has changed in 2 weeks then.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »

From the looks of this map, Avhdb is completely right . Benghazi appears to be overrun and they are now marching towards Tripoli, the capitol of Libya. A lot has changed in 2 weeks then.

Markje, another 'Vodafone' moment ? ;)

The map doesn't SHOW, Benghazi, as it is off to the North and East - opposite end of the Gulf of Sidra .. 

Where you IN Libya as this kicked off, Cornfed ?  I was working in Benghazi .. and after I left Gaddafi's army was just about at the city gates ( tank column) when the FRENCH planes strafed the column - enforcing a UN no fly zone ... [/quote]

Do tell us what 'benefit' the US / UK have had re resources ?

I only ask as Tony Blair had broked deals in 2007 - hence the ex-pat community in Tripoli and Benghazi and British Schools ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1553044/Blair-Gaddafi-and-the-BP-oil-deal.html

But this one is funny:

“If the warplanes are in Libya, they are Soviet, not Russian,” Kremlin defence committee chief Viktor Bondarev insists.“

There probably were ... given the kit the Russians have ...

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

Where you IN Libya as this kicked off, Confederate?  I was working in Benghazi .. and after I left Gaddafi's army was just about at the city gates ( tank column) when the FRENCH planes strafed the column - enforcing a UN no fly zone ...

Do tell us what 'benefit' the US / UK have had re resources ?

I only ask as Tony Blair had broked deals in 2007 - hence the ex-pat community in Tripoli and Benghazi and British Schools ...

Polluting every thread with your tripe as usual.

Libya was a very successful and peaceful country prior to the immoral and unlawful invasion by the military forces of the U.K., France and the USA.

Gaddafi planned to have a pan-African currency based on Libyan oil and gold prosperity. That didn’t sit to well with the central bankers.

Post some photos proving you were in Libya at that time. More importantly explain what you were doing there.

Did you get fired by British Intelligence for incompetence? Is that why you are what you are now, a pathetic “businessman” who can’t afford a proper rental car or business hotel?

Someone else can correct you as to why the West immorally destroyed yet another country, and what assets were stolen.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 09:59:52 PM »

“In 1967 Colonel Gaddafi inherited one of the poorest nations in Africa; however, by the time he was assassinated, Gaddafi had turned Libya into Africa’s wealthiest nation. Libya had the highest GDP per capita and life expectancy on the continent. Less people lived below the poverty line than in the Netherlands.

After NATO’s intervention in 2011, Libya is now a failed state and its economy is in shambles
. As the government’s control slips through their fingers and into to the militia fighters’ hands, oil production has all but stopped.”

https://www.globalresearch.ca/libya-from-africas-richest-state-under-gaddafi-to-failed-state-after-nato-intervention/5408740

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 04:25:06 AM »
The map doesn't SHOW, Benghazi, as it is off to the North and East - opposite end of the Gulf of Sidra .. 

You are no military strategist, thats for sure.

Although I can't compare RTS games to real wargames, the basics there apply here as well. You don't move in on a capitol city unless the surroundings have been pacified.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:14 AM »

You are no military strategist, thats for sure.

I never claimed to be, and you're still digging a hole for yourself ...  Please can ANYBODY find us 'news' from 2020 that Benghazi is under 'siege or attack'..

Right now, your stance is akin to someone suggesting Washington was under attack in Dec 1941 and at risk of falling .. 

Although I can't compare RTS games to real wargames, the basics there apply here as well. You don't move in on a capitol city unless the surroundings have been pacified.

Again, YOU brought up war games.. A good General would know where battles where ..

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 08:38:50 AM »
 It was Tripoli not Benghazi

"Now, the Moscow-backed forces of self-proclaimed Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar’s have suffered a serious defeat. The Libyan National Army (LNA) assault on the capital Tripoli – which was supposed to be their crowning victory – was repulsed.

This was despite the presence of large numbers of heavily-equipped and well-trained Russian troops among their ranks, including sniper and missile units along with drone operators. The Russian-led international coalition includes support from France, Egypt, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates."

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »

THANK YOU

I cannot believe some folks insisted, otherwise

Online AvHdB

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »

"Now, the Moscow-backed forces of self-proclaimed Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar’s have suffered a serious defeat. The Libyan National Army (LNA) assault on the capital Tripoli – which was supposed to be their crowning victory – was repulsed.

This was despite the presence of large numbers of heavily-equipped and well-trained Russian troops among their ranks, including sniper and missile units along with drone operators. The Russian-led international coalition includes support from France, Egypt, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates."

Redoo, Thank you for the clarification. I remember glancing at the article and thinking you can't win every away game. I realize now I never read to the end of your original source.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Hands up who has been to Libya ?

I was there while Gen G was about to lose his grip on the east . 

I installed comms kit in Benghazi at a school . . .

Doing a quick search for Benghazi and Libya the above is the only post going back some 10 plus years that ms (msmoby & 1msmoby) claims to have been to Libya.

Registration