The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: In the market for a big screen 65"  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
In the market for a big screen 65"
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:05:08 AM »
I'm in the market for a big screen TV, 65" to be exact.

Has anyone bought one recently, or does anyone have any expertise on the subject. I've been researching this for over a week now and it's starting to drive me crazy. It's been almost 15 years since I last bought a TV.

Budget 50-70000 roubles ($600-1000).

I've boiled it down to Samsung series 7 and 8, but still can't decide if there's any difference between the two or truly know what is what.

Experts welcomed.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: In the market for a big screen 65"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:11 AM »
Differences: http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-samsung-series-7-and-series-8/

Higher refresh rate? Put some soccer on the two tvs in the shop. Does the 8 look better than the 7? If so buy it. Some people don't like the effect it can have on normal content. It's turned off on my TV.
Local dimming is handy when watching movies. It increases contrast without blowing out the highlights. It's worth paying for if you have decent quality video content.
Better inherent contrast. Blacker blacks is usually a good thing.

I'd look at the two next to each other on identical content see if you think the difference is worth paying for.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
Totally depends on the sources of your content and std... if you ain't an expert .. buy the cheaper one

Example: There's less than 10 RU TV channels that broadcast in 4k

You need a demo of both showing the same 4K content

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
Differences: http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-samsung-series-7-and-series-8/

Higher refresh rate? Put some soccer on the two tvs in the shop. Does the 8 look better than the 7? If so buy it. Some people don't like the effect it can have on normal content. It's turned off on my TV.
Local dimming is handy when watching movies. It increases contrast without blowing out the highlights. It's worth paying for if you have decent quality video content.
Better inherent contrast. Blacker blacks is usually a good thing.

I'd look at the two next to each other on identical content see if you think the difference is worth paying for.
So I gather the higher refresher rate doesn't make a difference to the untrained eye.

Am I crazy to think when we're talking about this price range, whether series 7 or 8, they're all about the same technology-wise?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Where would you want to put such a big thing?

If you count eye-distance to TV , you'd have to have at least 4 meters of unobstructed living room.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
I suggest that you will be happy with the newer 8 version rather than the old model 7...

I have a this, its 66"
https://www.mvideo.ru/products/televizor-samsung-ue70tu7100u-10023533
Super....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
I don't sell TVs but for sure there's differences between the two that justify the price difference. Only you can judge the value though.

The higher refresh rate isn't real though. It is software that creates in between images so that fast moving images look sharper, less blurred. Most often notices on sports programming with fast balls flying around.

The contrast stuff, it's real. But if your sources are relatively poor quality then you'll not notice much difference. I like the micro dimming on my TV and its less good than on the Samsung. I also like seeing images where black is black not dark grey.

Neither TV is going to be bad. Not having seen the TVs but if one is at the top of your range and the other is at the bottom I might use the difference in price and bob it toward a spa weekend. If its much closer then just give the man the money and buy the better TV.

Markje, the distance thing depends upon your standards and what you're watching but for sure I'd not be giving a 65" TV so much space if I were watching a movie in 4k you're at about 2m.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »

If you count eye-distance to TV , you'd have to have at least 4 meters of unobstructed living room.
on the wall in the main room. i read that for a 65", 2.5-4 meters is ok, is that wrong? I have about 3-3.5 meters depending on where I'm sitting.

I looked at few 65" before the lockdown, so I try to visualize it in the room.

I suggest that you will be happy with the newer 8 version rather than the old model 7...
I have a this, its 66"
https://www.mvideo.ru/products/televizor-samsung-ue70tu7100u-10023533
Super....
I'm leaning that way.

That's a nice TV and a little more than what I want to spend. That's why I asked, I just want a solid TV nothing fancy for a guy like me who will mostly watch movies and do a little gaming in my price range. Both 7 and 8 seem, as Andrew said, like solid TV's and I just need to decide.

thanks guys, helpful stuff.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
I have a 7 series.
No complaints. It does what it says in the book.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
Welp, I have a TCL TV, not a Samsung and here's a thing, while one can absolutely see the difference between it and an LG or Samsung of the same generation when standing next to each other when it's on its own - nope. Its perfectly fine.

BUT

Things that matter:
Local dimming. I have that and there's a real difference between on and off.

Good black levels. The best you can get without blowing out the highlights. Mine is a bit gray. I notice it compared to the displays on my monitors.

Thing that doesn't matter: high refresh rate. Most of the time you won't notice. After all movies you watch are not filmed at 240hz so your TV is inventing stuff to fill the gaps.

A suggestion. Buy a TV stand on wheels. Move it forward to watch 'seriously' move it back for 'can't be bothered viewing'. Here's the thing. Move your TV forward by 12" and it will look like a 70" or bigger TV. Or buy a better, but smaller, TV.

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »
I've been casually researching TVs in recent months.

I am not a fan of Samsung as a brand generally so don't buy anything Samsung. That's just a personal thing from their crap phones and a satellite box they did that the software was never right on, and they had no inclination to fix it despite the net being full of the issues.

I'm not big on LG as its traditionally a down market brand, but the current wisdom says their TVs are very good.

I would naturally be erring towards Sony, and secondarily JVC but would look at LG with advice.

From talking with him and knowing a little of his history, Andrewfi is the bloke I'd consult with personally.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »

on the wall in the main room. i read that for a 65", 2.5-4 meters is ok, is that wrong? I have about 3-3.5 meters depending on where I'm sitting.

I looked at few 65" before the lockdown, so I try to visualize it in the room.

Depends on the resolution.

For 1080p something between 3.5 and 4 meters is really a must, I assume you are not buying lower than that.
For 4K closer will be ok too, between 2-3.5 meters will be viewable.

As to refresh-rate , andrew is right , 240hz is really unnecessary. The human eye can't see above 50hz, which is why most old -tech is around t hat range. However, it does do unnoticable flicker so they upped that to 100hz to make sure the screen is always solid with 50hz.

With LCD, plasma, and other modern technologies that isn't necessary anymore as it will always appear rock-solid. 50hz is really all you need for refresh rate.

Mark.
PS: Uncanny isn't it how the electrical net in USA is 60hz and in Europe 50hz. thats because old-tech used the sinus-rythm for timing before the resonance-crystals did the job :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »

Do not buy a tv that has more than 60hz refresh rate. Movies and tv shows are filmed at 24-60 frames per second. You'll probably never benefit from a tv that gives you more than 60hz refresh rate.

Don't waste money on a 4K tv. Very few stations are broadcasting in 4K.

If you have a high end video camera that does 4K and lots of frames per second, then you benefit from a better tv. If you're a gamer with a high powered graphics card that does 8K resolution and hundreds of frames per second, you can benefit from an 8K tv. Also keep in mind, a cheap HDMI or Display Port cable will limit your frames per second. A high quality tv or monitor needs a high quality cable.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 11:58:36 PM »

I am not a fan of Samsung as a brand generally so don't buy anything Samsung. That's just a personal thing from their crap phones and a satellite box they did that the software was never right on, and they had no inclination to fix it despite the net being full of the issues.

I'm not big on LG as its traditionally a down market brand, but the current wisdom says their TVs are very good.

I would naturally be erring towards Sony, and secondarily JVC but would look at LG with advice.

From talking with him and knowing a little of his history, Andrewfi is the bloke I'd consult with personally.

LG is not “down market” they actually make LED’s for Sony.

Sony had to farm that out to LG, yet Sony is still a leader in some ways.

Your concerns about Samsung are from how many years ago? Did moby by any chance have something to do with your defective “satellite box”?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-relaunching-OLED-TVs-using-LG-made-panels

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 01:00:53 AM »

Don't waste money on a 4K tv. Very few stations are broadcasting in 4K.

Where?  The US ?

In the UK - if you pay for it, the latest films and much of the UK based sport is broadcast / downloadable in 4k

Into youtube subscriptions.. ?  Much of the content is uploaded from 'Go pros' and similar in 4k

Google has let you down, BillyB

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 01:14:03 AM »

Your concerns about Samsung are from how many years ago? Did moby by any chance have something to do with your defective “satellite box”?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-relaunching-OLED-TVs-using-LG-made-panels

Cornfed,

You are nearly as 'clued' up on tech as Manny ;)

1/ ONLY LG make panels for OLED TVs - so OF COURSE they make Sony's panels ..

2/ Samsung use QLED - they are the only manufacturer using this technique... their TVs look brighter, but the contrast is poorer and each pixel is not independently lit. The tech is inferior

As ever, only viewing the TV in your home will tell you which tv set is 'better' for one's individual tastes

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 02:22:29 AM »

I have LG, Samsung, Phillips and Blaupunkt smart TV's, the LG is 55" and about 6 years old now, its still has by far the best picture quality, actually the picture quality is amazing and puts the others to shame. The next best is the Samsung, only a year old, but not as good as the LG, then the Phillips and Blaupunkt come in last, would never buy either of them again, both crap, but only occasional TV's for my study and kitchen so not that bothered.

We also have a LG washing machine, it is now about 8 or 9 years old, fantastic piece of kit, not a moments trouble with it since new, has a direct drive motor with free 10 year warranty.

LG is fantastic equipment, really good quality and if buying again wouldn't hesitate to buy more LG stuff.

Wifey and I both have Samsung phones, far better than the I Phones we had, all the I Phones we had trouble with, since moving to Samsung about 5/6 years ago we have had no problems. I also have Samsung tablets and wifey has an I Pad, they are both very similar and do the jobs we both need them for.

I used to sell Samsung tablets many years ago with part of our surveying bundle, and never had any problems with any of them, very rare was there any need for warranty claims.

I think some manufacturers are better for certain items eg TV's and some better for others, eg washing machines, tablets etc, but the two pieces of LG kit I have are by far the best all round and most reliable items in our house.

Just my 2 pence worth!  tiphat
Слава Україні

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 03:38:56 AM »
Thanks Manny, for the kind words.

I have a bit of a weekend lie in and wake up to find sooooo much overnight willy waving!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 03:45:16 AM »
LG kit I have are by far the best all round and most reliable items in our house.

What must folks don't realise is there is far too much badge engineering going on with TVs

Got a 6 year old  'smart' 42"  LED LG in the UK which I got Ma and it has been utterly reliable and and our 3.5 year old 32" LG TV in Sochi has developed a common fault ( that specific model ) that has rendered it useless ( locks up on start )  ... until I can get back and solder a dry joint ...  We would buy another TV, but SC will need it mounted on a bracket and I don't want anyone going in our place, while Russia's infection rate continues to be high. She has a 22" Sony mounted from a bedroom, for now.

Got a 19" Panasonic LED that is a cheap Chinese brand .. Only found out when trying to mach the SKY remote and had issues .. It is 7 years old and only strong for all that ..

This is a UK article from a few days ago re OLED v QLED and it end with a link to the 'best' TVs ( article 3 days old)

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/oled-vs-qled-which-best-tv-technology

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 03:53:47 AM »
Danchik, you'll be needing a bit of credit (second mortgage) for this one but I bet you'd be happy with it. At the size of this behemoth (88") you'll probably find yourself pinned to the most distant wall of your home theatre room to watch it. Your neighbours will be asking you to move house when you turn up the volume.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/bang-olufsen-and-lg-team-up-for-88-inch-8k-oled-tv-4034671/amp

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 04:08:25 AM »
Welp, I have a TCL TV, not a Samsung and here's a thing, while one can absolutely see the difference between it and an LG or Samsung of the same generation when standing next to each other when it's on its own - nope. Its perfectly fine.

BUT

Things that matter:

Good black levels. The best you can get without blowing out the highlights. Mine is a bit gray. I notice it compared to the displays on my monitors.

Thing that doesn't matter: high refresh rate. Most of the time you won't notice. After all movies you watch are not filmed at 240hz so your TV is inventing stuff to fill the gaps.

A suggestion. Buy a TV stand on wheels. Move it forward to watch 'seriously' move it back for 'can't be bothered viewing'. Here's the thing. Move your TV forward by 12" and it will look like a 70" or bigger TV. Or buy a better, but smaller, TV.
I saw a very well-price, decent looking TV while I was looking a few weeks back.

It was Hisense. I kinda shied away from it simply because it isn't a brand I'm familiar with. Someone told me not worry about it because most of these companies use the same suppliers for their parts. True?

I used to feel the same way about Korean products. Hyundai, for instance, was nothing more than a disposable car back in the day, but they started to poach engineers from Toyota in the 90's and I would have no problem buying either a Hyundai or Kia now (the same company nowadays).

I was a big Sony guy years ago, but all the other electronic companies did the same as Hyundai, poached engineers from Sony, and seem to have caught up technologically.

Seems to me most products/companies have a better grasp of technology these days, so it comes down to specifics and/or personal preferences.

I have LG, Samsung, Phillips and Blaupunkt smart TV's, the LG is 55" and about 6 years old now, its still has by far the best picture quality, actually the picture quality is amazing and puts the others to shame. The next best is the Samsung, only a year old, but not as good as the LG, then the Phillips and Blaupunkt come in last, would never buy either of them again, both crap, but only occasional TV's for my study and kitchen so not that bothered.

We also have a LG washing machine, it is now about 8 or 9 years old, fantastic piece of kit, not a moments trouble with it since new, has a direct drive motor with free 10 year warranty.

LG is fantastic equipment, really good quality and if buying again wouldn't hesitate to buy more LG stuff.

Wifey and I both have Samsung phones, far better than the I Phones we had, all the I Phones we had trouble with, since moving to Samsung about 5/6 years ago we have had no problems. I also have Samsung tablets and wifey has an I Pad, they are both very similar and do the jobs we both need them for.

I used to sell Samsung tablets many years ago with part of our surveying bundle, and never had any problems with any of them, very rare was there any need for warranty claims.

I think some manufacturers are better for certain items eg TV's and some better for others, eg washing machines, tablets etc, but the two pieces of LG kit I have are by far the best all round and most reliable items in our house.

LG was at the top of my list, right there with Samsung. I might take another, closer look at them.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 05:48:16 AM »

Confederate:

You are nearly as 'clued' up on tech as Manny ;)

1/ ONLY LG make panels for OLED TVs - so OF COURSE they make Sony's panels ..

2/ A moot point, the specialty of a jackass.

As ever, only viewing the TV in your home will tell you which tv set is 'better' for one's individual tastes

“ONLY LG make panels for OLED TVs”

That wasn’t the point jackass.

The point I made, if you bothered to read what was written, is that LG isn’t “downmarket” as Manny mistakenly suggested.

And your second point is moot, because he doesn’t care for Samsung products.

Try actually reading and comprehending what others write moby. Not that you’ll ever change your ways.

Best post by far goes to Chris.  tiphat

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 05:51:25 AM »

Very well said Chris!  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 05:57:50 AM »

BUT

Things that matter:

I saw a very well-price, decent looking TV while I was looking a few weeks back.

It was Hisense. I kinda shied away from it simply because it isn't a brand I'm familiar with. Someone told me not worry about it because most of these companies use the same suppliers for their parts. True?

I used to feel the same way about Korean products. Hyundai, for instance, was nothing more than a disposable car back in the day, but they started to poach engineers from Toyota in the 90's and I would have no problem buying either a Hyundai or Kia now (the same company nowadays).

I was a big Sony guy years ago, but all the other electronic companies did the same as Hyundai, poached engineers from Sony, and seem to have caught up technologically.

Seems to me most products/companies have a better grasp of technology these days, so it comes down to specifics and/or personal preferences.

LG was at the top of my list, right there with Samsung. I might take another, closer look at them.

Hisense manufacture all TV's bearing the Sharp brand name, in fact they bought Sharps US assets about 4 or 5 years ago, my elder daughter last year bought a Hisense Smart TV 55",  its very good, but the picture quality is still not as good as my 6 year old LG smart TV.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 05:58:25 AM »

Very well said Chris!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!  :thumbsup:
Слава Україні

Registration