The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: In the market for a big screen 65"  (Read 5119 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: In the market for a big screen 65"
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 06:44:59 AM »
[Insults removed]

The point I made, if you bothered to read what was written, is that LG isn't "downmarket" as Manny mistakenly suggested.

You know, this reader 'got that', but you clearly didn't know they were THE ONLY manufacturer of OLED panels  ( as we see with B&O's product for those with more dosh than sense )  LG panel :coffeeread:

And your second point is moot, because he doesn't care for Samsung products.

But then 'HE' will know if it's QLED, it's a Samsung underneath .. :popcorn:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »
Where?  The US ?

In the UK - if you pay for it, the latest films and much of the UK based sport is broadcast / downloadable in 4k

Like I said, very few stations are broadcasting in 4K. If you want to say the majority of UK stations are broadcasting in 4K, prove it.

Into youtube subscriptions.. ?  Much of the content is uploaded from 'Go pros' and similar in 4k

I said people would benefit from a better tv if their video camera does 4k. You don't think a go pro is a video camera? But if one does not have a video camera, are they going to watch YouTube videos all day on their 4K big screen? If not, it's a waste of money.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
Danchik, I don't know which Hisense model you saw. Here's a point.
In the end the thing costs what the thing costs. The market makes sure of it. You might pay a little more more for brand cachet, or a little bit less for a brand that's less well known. But the tv/hifi/fridge/car at any given price will have much the same basic ingredients and of broadly speaking the same level of quality.

Of course, just as with making a cake, one might vary the ingredients to optimise for softness, or flavour, or moisture, but the cost of making the cake won't vary much.

So, if you buy the Hisense model, it might have a slightly lower price if the brand is not as well known in Russia as Samsung. But overall, if the price is similar then you're going to get similar performance.

Sometimes though one makes a buying choice on different grounds. For example, I mentioned my TCL TV, I bought it over any others at a similar price because it uses Android TV as its operating system rather than a manufacturer only operating system. Three years later and I know that I made the right choice. I took for granted a basic level of picture quality and that too worked out pretty well. Today there are better TVs out there and prices per inch of display have gone down, but I won't change just yet.

So, long post to say that if you buy the Hisense you will probably be happy with it.

If you're concerned enough about specific parts of the 'recipe' then you'll need to do some research to find which unit is best optimised for your taste.

If you're not that bothered about the specifics then buy the biggest TV that you can afford without squealing.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »

Like I said, very few stations are broadcasting in 4K. If you want to say the majority of UK stations are broadcasting in 4K, prove it.

There goes our Silly Billy putting words in peoples mouths .. YOU suddenly made up the majority 'criteria'

UK 4K capable channels via SKY

9 sports channels

10 Movie channels

plus Netflix via SKY

Box sets and downloadable content in the hundreds

12 general ent Channels

5 Natural History / History channels

4 Kids Channels

Amazon Prime / Vimeo TV
Youtube / Vimeo have MILLIONS of UHD/ 4k / Ultra HD   GoPros have had such capability for over half a decade

'Sorry' to burst your bubble.. You should have googled before proving you didn't understand .. another example below ..

You don't think a go pro is a video camera? But if one does not have a video camera, are they going to watch YouTube videos all day on their 4K big screen? If not, it's a waste of money.

1/ Naturally, I know what a GOPro is .. I brought the item up ....

2/ As you tube has supported up to 4096 x 3071 for some time .. one can enjoy sum of the fab content available in 4k ..   

example: 

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
I think what Andrew is saying is that if it’s just a TV you want, go for the one which gets you the biggest bang for your buck.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
I think what Andrew is saying is that if it’s just a TV you want, go for the one which gets you the biggest bang for your buck.

Pretty much, yeah!

Back when I was selling TVs we used to reckon that a good one should last at least 10 years. A cheapy might last 5 years.
When I sold TVs the biggest commonly available size was 24" and toward the end you could get 27" sets. There'd been no other substantial changes in over a decade.

Today TVs are dirt cheap relative to back then. You'll be lucky to have the same unit in 5 years, so treat them as disposable - because they are.

The main thing that most people ever notice about a modern TV is its size. Next comes the size of the bezel - a totally pointless matter but people pay for thinner bezels.

So, yeah, unless you have a boner for some particular specification then buy the biggest cheapest TV you can get and be ready to get another one in a few years.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »

Moby, since you're promoting 4K so much, can you post of photo of your 4K tv?
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2020, 10:37:13 PM »
We haven't got one.

That's a choice.

I have a near eight year old car, too.

Now, what has that got to do with your lack of knowledge re 4K tv channel availability outside your state?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:36 AM »
We haven't got one.

I knew it. I haven't got one either and I don't promote 4k either for a variety of reasons. For most people, 4k tvs doesn't make sense and is a waste of money. I do have a 4k monitor and a graphics card that will do up to 8K though. I do a lot of work on the computer and don't use tv much.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:21 AM »

I knew it. I haven't got one either and I don't promote 4k either for a variety of reasons. For most people, 4k tvs doesn't make sense and is a waste of money. I do have a 4k monitor and a graphics card that will do up to 8K though. I do a lot of work on the computer and don't use tv much.

Once again, BillyB makes stuff up..

When was I 'promoting' 4K?  ...

I DID point out there were more than a few 'UHD' channels for those with compatible TV.

Online Guile

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:45 AM »
We haven't got one.

That's a choice.

I have a near eight year old car, too.

Now, what has that got to do with your lack of knowledge re 4K tv channel availability outside your state?

Are you sure that is by choice and not your limited financial funds?  :ROFL: :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »
Hmmm, those don't have a 4k TV reckon they're pointless. Those do know otherwise.

Billy, unless your eyes are very poor (and I know we mentioned that possibility in the past) then a 4k TV is well worthwhile. Of course you need 4k content but that's not hard to manage. Much of my viewing is in 4k and that's increasing pretty fast.

Possibly even more noticeable is HDR, that's a real step up in picture quality and enjoyment. But, again, it's hard to buy, at least over here in the civilised world, a large screen TV that does not offer some form of HDR. So, it's pretty much a given just like 4k is on a modern TV.

4k shows itself off on larger screens, so if you have an old 49" or smaller TV, in most living rooms 4k requires too close a viewing distance.

Even with my fading eyes I can see a clear difference in the way an image is rendered in 4k as compared to 1080.

There's a bigger difference between 1080 and 4k than there is between 720 and 1080. Of course the built in up scaling makes even 720 or 1080 look better than on a native 1080 or 720 (hd ready) display.

Billy, don't rely upon what you've been told - you usually seem to fall prey to bad information. Go to a friend's house. Look at their TV showing 4k YouTube or Netflix. Not the best 4k but if you really cannot see the difference then you, for the safety of other road users, should ask your wife to drive home and get an urgent eye test!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
I do not get this whole thread and why this guy (famed stock market trader) is worried about the price of a TV.

The difference between 2 and 4k which recently has become nearly none so why should someone why buy 2K. Here, it is hard to even find a 2k TV any more. The shipping from China is the same on either set which is a big part of the cost. I think the manufacturing cost is about the same and most of the 2K on the market are just left overs. Why buy something that is already obsolete and will get more so in a few years?  A TV usually last over ten years. So don't buy for what is currently works but what you will need and want ten years from now. My advice is stop being so cheap and buy an 86 inch 4K TV. Price range 2 to 3 thousand dollars. It is twice as big as 65 inch. You will use it for very many years. Wal mart had a 75 inch TV for 850 dollars. There is a lot of 75 inch TVs which is now becoming the new standard size for right around 1000 dollars plus or minus a little. I think if you buy anything smaller than 75 inch you will be sorry in a few year.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
I do not get this whole thread and why this guy (famed stock market trader) is worried about the price of a TV.

The difference between 2 and 4k which recently has become nearly none so why should someone why buy 2K. Here, it is hard to even find a 2k TV any more. The shipping from China is the same on either set which is a big part of the cost. I think the manufacturing cost is about the same and most of the 2K on the market are just left overs. Why buy something that is already obsolete and will get more so in a few years?  A TV usually last over ten years. So don't buy for what is currently works but what you will need and want ten years from now. My advice is stop being so cheap and buy an 86 inch 4K TV. Price range 2 to 3 thousand dollars. It is twice as big as 65 inch. You will use it for very many years. Wal mart had a 75 inch TV for 850 dollars. There is a lot of 75 inch TVs which is now becoming the new standard size for right around 1000 dollars plus or minus a little. I think if you buy anything smaller than 75 inch you will be sorry in a few year.

No, that’s BS as to size.

As to how long it should last, I agree. Don’t buy crap and it should last 8-10 years.

55 to 65” is more than adequate for most sized living rooms.

Tex are you going blind? How large is your TV room?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2020, 09:25:05 AM »

The difference between 2 and 4k which recently has become nearly none so why should someone why buy 2K.

?

I can buy a Samsung 55" for £399 and and OLED LG 4K 55" is £1800 ...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Texan, it's not Danchik being a cheapskate. That's Billy.

As to why not buy a huge TV?
If you buy one that's too big, with too small a viewing distance then it will look shit because you'll start to see pixels, anti aliasing artefacts, motion blur and content that's less than 4k will just look like a big bag of crap.

Of course, if you're a blind old man then you need a big display in order to see anything - in which case, same advice as for Billykins: stop driving until you've had your eyesight checked and corrective eyewear purchased.

From what Danchik told us, an 85" TV would be stupid in a room of the size he indicated - unless he too were legally blind.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
Billy, don't rely upon what you've been told - you usually seem to fall prey to bad information.

I think you are smart enough to know my second business is manufacturing and selling thousands of computers every year that get connected to tvs and monitors. But you want everybody here to think I read bad info and have no experience. Andrew being Andrew again making stuff up. Read my signature line. What to make any revisions yet?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »
Billy, in that case you simply don't know what you're talking about. Or you're blind.

If you genuinely cannot see the difference then you're blind and my genuine advice to you is that you stop driving immediately until you have had your eyes tested and suitable corrective eyewear has been provided.

If your 'knowledge' tells you there's no benefit to a 4K panel then your knowledge is sadly lacking.

I confess, I have no way to reasonably ascribe your statements to poverty and thus inability to afford a modern TV. If you have decent eyesight and your claim to be knowledgeable is honest then justifying your claim on the basis of poverty seems to be about the last rational surmise that a reader of your words might be able to make.

As for your signature line, apart from making you look like the ass you seem to want to be, no changes are needed.

You might want to ask a helper what the difference between a month and a year is. As we have discussed before, you might have an issue with the concept of quantity. That might be a cultural issue derived from your original homeland and culture. Are you originally from a culture whose concept of quantity is limited to one, two, many?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »

If your 'knowledge' tells you there's no benefit to a 4K panel then your knowledge is sadly lacking.

I clearly said who would benefit from a 4K tv upthread. I don't think you're dumb. You know what you're doing. You know how to bullshit. You want to work for me as a salesman?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Billy, I don't work for simpletons - you make life too complicated.

You said that 4k tvs were not worth buying for most people. That's silly on all the levels I pointed out.

Given that you'd be hard pushed to buy a large TV that's not 4k your point fails if for no other reason than the purely practical. Of course I don't live where you live - it's possible that in your environment 4k TV is not normally sold. Given that you live in North America that seems unlikely - do you live in a very deprived area where manufacturers dump old stock?

So, tell us, why are 4k TVs not worth buying for most people? Give the people a laugh!

Or is this 'most' thing related to your problem with the concept of quantity? One, two, most?
In that context I get it. In your eyes if 4K is not worth having for more than 3 people then it is generally unsuitable.

If that's the case you might want to get some help with that, it's got to be bloody inconvenient for those from a more advanced society  who must deal with you.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
I don't work for simpletons

You are a simpleton. Ever since I showed up on this forum, you talked down to me because you felt threatened. Other people don't have a problem with me. They don't have self esteem issues. I'm not going to repeat all the dumb stuff you say so I eventually decided on a signature line that sums up the ass you are.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2020, 12:59:07 AM »
I guess calling you a Ukrainian puppet touched a nerve. What I don't get is why you talk about Russia so negatively of course, when you have no clue, nor have never stepped foot in Russia. yeah, yeah, your "girl" is from Donbass region IIRC.

Judging by the stocks and shares thread seems to me you're the "world famous trader".  (:)

Oh, and the reason I started this thread was to gather as much information I could before I made the purchase. Call me crazy, but I tend to do this when I'm about to buy a big ticket item.

FWIW, I ended up buying a Samsung 65" TV (perfect size for the room) that is currently hanging on my living room wall. I'm very happy about it and believe it or not Tex, some of the info I read here helped in my decision making. smh.

Thanks agin to all who had positive replies.  :)
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2020, 01:34:24 AM »
I guess calling you a Ukrainian puppet touched a nerve. What I don't get is why you talk about Russia so negatively of course, when you have no clue, nor have never stepped foot in Russia. yeah, yeah, your "girl" is from Donbass region IIRC.

Judging by the stocks and shares thread seems to me you're the "world famous trader".  (:)

Oh, and the reason I started this thread was to gather as much information I could before I made the purchase. Call me crazy, but I tend to do this when I'm about to buy a big ticket item.

FWIW, I ended up buying a Samsung 65" TV (perfect size for the room) that is currently hanging on my living room wall. I'm very happy about it and believe it or not Tex, some of the info I read here helped in my decision making. smh.

Thanks agin to all who had positive replies.  :)

Excellent choice. I really like Samsung tablet computers as well which sync w/ their TV’s.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2020, 02:14:25 AM »
Dan, enjoy your new TV!

Billy, I talk down to nobody. I do not suffer fools gladly - you noticed that.

Some people can learn, you find that tough. Whether that's down to laziness or lack of ability, I don't know. I'd prefer it were laziness because that can be changed. Sadly, dumb is just dumb.

Your choice of signature line does rather reflect on your ongoing difficulties with numbers. I have no problem with it remaining there but it is probably not sending the message you think it does. Sadly, for you, I expect that hubris makes it impossible for you to change it.

One thing that I do try to respect you for: you do seem to display at least a modicum of imagination. It is hard to otherwise explain how you might feel that you could pose any kind of threat to me. Perhaps not so much imagination as projection given that imagination requires active cognition?

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2020, 10:14:18 PM »
I don't work for simpletons

You are a simpleton. Ever since I showed up on this forum, you talked down to me because you felt threatened. Other people don't have a problem with me. They don't have self esteem issues. I'm not going to repeat all the dumb stuff you say so I eventually decided on a signature line that sums up the ass you are.

I needed that.   
     :ROFL:         :ROFL:         :ROFL: