The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Stocks and Shares  (Read 46865 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Stocks and Shares
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
I am not wanting to short it here but find myself looking for shorting opportunities more then going long.

I'm more for going medium.

A lot of fundamentally good stocks have fallen on emotion. They'll go back up first.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Texan77

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2020, 08:00:12 PM »
If a stock in the USA is going to recover it most likely has already. I am looking at NEE New era energy. This is a fast growth stock which was 17 dollars per share in 1995 and has climbed nearly every year since to where it is today at 233 per share. It had a pause in growth for four years in 2008 to 2012. The company is converting the USA to wind and solar. There is a lot of room for growth. When the white house changes to the liberals ( democrats) they have already said all coal power plants are going off line very fast. No new natural gas or nuclear will  be able to be built. In califorina they has set a dead line of 2030 for all power to be renewables. The democrat are wanting to do this to the whole country.  This company is the largest solar and wind power company in the USA and is most like the only company that would be able to the build enough solar and wind electric generation to demands of not having coal. . 

The stimulus has been so good and they are getting paid so much for being off work that the white house is thinking of paying people to go back to work.  :laugh:
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
In the USA if it is going to recover it most likely has already. I am looking at NEE New era energy. This is a fast growth stock which was 17 dollars in 1995 and has climbed nearly every year since to where it is today at 233 per share. It had a pause for four years in 2008 to 2012. The company is converting the USA to wind and solar. It has a very long ways to go. When the white house changes to the liberals they have already said all coal plants are going off line very fast. No new natural gas or nuclear will be able to be built. This company is the largest solar and wind power company in the USA and is most like the only company that would be able to meet the demands of this expansion. 

The stimulus has been so good and they are getting paid so much for being off work that the white house is thinking of paying people to go back to work.  :laugh:

This is a challenge to read & understand the gist, perhaps it could be polished? I suspect the stock is Next Era Energy; NEE on the NYSE.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Texan77

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
Yes you are right. Next Era Energy on the NYSE. ( NEE )I found is a couple of weeks ago while doing a scan for long term growth stocks.  This is the one I thought looked most promising.

http://www.nexteraenergy.com/

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2020, 01:03:20 AM »
Adidas I really like and what about Vodaphone?

It's VodaFone

Show how attentive you are..

I was one of their first mobile phone customers.. hence I'd know.

If you are going to correct someone, at least get the name right.
VodafoneZiggo.

https://www.vodafoneziggo.nl/en/vodafoneziggo

VodafoneZiggo is a Dutch company offering fixed, mobile and integrated communication and entertainment services to consumers and businesses. VodafoneZiggo is a joint venture of Liberty Global, the biggest international TV and broadband internet company, and Vodafone Group, one of the world’s biggest telecommunication companies.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2020, 03:10:03 AM »

It's VodaFone

VodafoneZiggo.

VodafoneZiggo is a Dutch company offering fixed, mobile and integrated communication and entertainment services to consumers and businesses. VodafoneZiggo is a joint venture of Liberty Global, the biggest international TV and broadband internet company, and Vodafone Group, one of the world’s biggest telecommunication companies.
[/quote]

Markje,

I'd try heading your very own 'advice', if I were you ..

Your 'Vodafone' is merely a joint venture company .. THE big daddy company IS Vodafone Group PLC ..

Owners: Vodafone Group Plc (50%), Liberty Global (50%)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2020, 04:38:18 AM »
I have some long term stocks, but I've become more of a pattern trader in the last couple of years.

1 stock I'm following now is Celsion Corp. CLSN. If anyone is interested, take a look at last week's activity.

It has gone from $1.20 to $3.65 in the last 4 days. These are types of companies/stocks I'm more inclined to look for. Those with a lot of volatility that start showing 20-30% fluctuations or more.

This is still in its early volatility stage, but there's profit to take for sure.

another is MGEN Miragen Therapeutics that has nice volatility and in the last 2 weeks has gone from .53 to .75 and is fluctuating nicely. In at .55-60 out at .70 is a very nice return of 15-30%.

and the last one is NK Nanktwest Inc. which has fluctuated between $3.50 and $6. I'll let you all do the math, but all very nice returns if you can get in that range.

Also, I did ok with pot stocks 2 years ago, but the market has been bearish to say the least, especially the last 18 months. However, it's bouncing back at the moment and worth a look for more volatility.

Some I have been following for some time now are spiking nicely.

CVSI is a CBD one I have short and long term holdings. Since Monday of last week it has gone from .36 to $1.19, over a 200% spike.

VFF - Village Farms has gone from $2.86 to $5.87 is that same period of time. You an do the math. Very happy with this. 

CWBHF - Charlotte's Web a CBD company I think is the best in the biz has gone from $3.75 to $7.38 in the last week.

And Aphria - APHA - just  listed on NASDAQ this week and has gone from $2.78 to $4.33 in the same time period.   

I like these stocks and expect them to rise long term and show fluctuations in the meantime. Good luck.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2020, 08:01:16 AM »

It's VodaFone

VodafoneZiggo.

Ooh la la me was corrected by moby.... :laugh: :laugh:

I’m not a U.K. resident and it showed.   :biggrin:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2020, 08:04:06 AM »
I have some long term stocks, but I've become more of a pattern trader in the last couple of years.

1 stock I'm following now is Celsion Corp. CLSN. If anyone is interested, take a look at last week's activity.

It has gone from $1.20 to $3.65 in the last 4 days. These are types of companies/stocks I'm more inclined to look for. Those with a lot of volatility that start showing 20-30% fluctuations or more.

This is still in its early volatility stage, but there's profit to take for sure.

another is MGEN Miragen Therapeutics that has nice volatility and in the last 2 weeks has gone from .53 to .75 and is fluctuating nicely. In at .55-60 out at .70 is a very nice return of 15-30%.

and the last one is NK Nanktwest Inc. which has fluctuated between $3.50 and $6. I'll let you all do the math, but all very nice returns if you can get in that range.

Also, I did ok with pot stocks 2 years ago, but the market has been bearish to say the least, especially the last 18 months. However, it's bouncing back at the moment and worth a look for more volatility.

CVSI is a CBD one I have short and long term holdings. Since Monday of last week it has gone from .36 to $1.19, over a 200% spike.

VFF - Village Farms has gone from $2.86 to $5.87 is that same period of time. You an do the math. Very happy with this. 

CWBHF - Charlotte's Web a CBD company I think is the best in the biz has gone from $3.75 to $7.38 in the last week.

And Aphria - APHA - just  listed on NASDAQ this week and has gone from $2.78 to $4.33 in the same time period.   

I like these stocks and expect them to rise long term and show fluctuations in the meantime. Good luck.

I like a man with the courage to invest in penny stocks,

jump up and down so we can hear your big brass balls!  :chuckle: :chuckle: tiphat

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »

Ooh la la me was corrected by moby....

You just spelt the company name wrong,

Given Vodafone's presence in 150 nations around the world, it simply proves some of us get about more

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:40 AM »

I like a man with the courage to invest in penny stocks,

jump up and down so we can hear your big brass balls!  :chuckle: :chuckle: tiphat
I trade penny stocks, not invest. I've learned my lesson quickly  :P.

CVSI, for instance, was at $9 at one time 2 years ago. It's a profitable company that should be in the $2-4 range.

Oh BTW, NK went from $5.10 to $8.34 yesterday. This is the type of "trading" I look for these days. Cheers.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 08:21:34 AM »

Ooh la la me was corrected by moby....

You just spelt the company name wrong,

Given Vodafone's presence in 150 nations around the world, it simply proves some of us get about more

MoldyTurd being childish and petty as always, what a surprise! Not.

Online Texan77

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Market makers can move penny stocks where ever they want because of the low volume. Many of the stocks are fake and the news about them can be fake. Usually one gets their advise on these from some type of advisory letter from a penny stock expert. Even some of those are fake in that they help to pump and dump the stocks. I had looked at some penny stocks from an letter. The outcome was not good. You get the advisory letter then the stock is already quite a bit higher. I could of bought and then it went higher for a few days then one day it was back to where it was before the recommendation meaning if I would bought I would lost money.  But the service would say bought at the price before the recommendation and sold at price when the recommendation to sell show a big gain but if you tried to do it you lost money.  So much money is taken out of the market by market makers in penny stocks most people lose money. I was reading about Canadian gold mines in penny stocks. The article showed how legitimate companies were often put put of business by market makers having nothing to do with the assets. They would pump the stock then drive the price lower. The companies loans are based on the stock price so their loans get called and the company goes broke. Then people who knew the market maker would buy the property assets at a real low price. I am not saying that no money can be made but you need some system better than the dart method because there is a big hill to climb to see a profit. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
Well. I am a decade or more out of practice, but I've picked a few more up the last week or so. I sold half of my BT to bag a little profit. That's the only "trading" I did. I'm currently 12% up.  :smokin:

ila_rendered
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
[Mod note: the topic is Stocks and Shares - not you or who you were "correcting"]

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »
Interesting value picks on the floor... After major A leg down in March now at top of major B wave .618 retracement turning into corrective C leg down...

You’re not predicting a V shaped recovery then?

There’s been a lot of QE this side of the pond.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
Interesting value picks on the floor... After major A leg down in March now at top of major B wave .618 retracement turning into corrective C leg down...

LOL It is "QE to infinity" here with 41 Million Americans on official unemployment roles drawing state plus Fed $600 per week supplemental "UI"... Forty One Million being incentivised to stay on UI  holiday.

So no "V" or "U" but a protracted bathtub shaped recovery while small biz gets hosed with a government caused workers shortage while big biz demanding more H1B indentured Indian immigrant replacement workers.

Minneapolis riots and fires last night... Wait till UI largesse runs out mayhem and food riots occur in the core urban jungles.

:trainwreck: :trainwreck: :trainwreck:

Online Texan77

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 03:48:31 PM »
Manny, It looks like you have been in it for a while now. It looks like you doing good and I hope your continued success.

Offline Manny

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
Manny, It looks like you have been in it for a while now. It looks like you doing good and I hope your continued success.

Thanks Tex. I hope you'll share some of your thinking on the topic here. I think you know about a lot of this stuff.

I'm no expert. I did a bit of it in the 90s/early 00s. But on the 4th May I started this account after years of thinking about dabbling again. This is three weeks in. As we know, it may all change tomorrow, but I'm sure I can beat 1.3% PA bank interest come what may. This is in a tax free ISA account too, so any profit is free and clear.

I'm looking next at real estate agencies and betting shops (gambling), both are about to start working again and the prices are on the floor. I like looking at what happened last week to see where the UK money is flowing too, let people have some profit after the Sunday papers tips and wait for the second dip: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/stock-market-summary/ftse-100/top-volume

Online Texan77

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
Look at what is happening on the Hang Seng. The Chinese beiges book was showing China was rolling over before there was a virus. This does not mean that what you doing will not work. If you are following the money and getting in on bad things that are getting ready to get less bad you might still make something. If the Hang Seng breaks below where it low was during the virus sell off it is not a good sign else where.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/stock-market-summary/hang-seng      Set the chart to six months and you will see what I mean.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »

Thanks Tex. I hope you'll share some of your thinking on the topic here. I think you know about a lot of this stuff.

I'm no expert. I did a bit of it in the 90s/early 00s. But on the 4th May I started this account after years of thinking about dabbling again. This is three weeks in. As we know, it may all change tomorrow, but I'm sure I can beat 1.3% PA bank interest come what may. This is in a tax free ISA account too, so any profit is free and clear.

I'm looking next at real estate agencies and betting shops (gambling), both are about to start working again and the prices are on the floor. I like looking at what happened last week to see where the UK money is flowing too, let people have some profit after the Sunday papers tips and wait for the second dip: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/stock-market-summary/ftse-100/top-volume

Here in the USA Citibank is at a guaranteed rate of 1.55% for a savings account.

It isn’t much yet far better than I was getting at (Large bank) so the one is being closed and the new Citibank savings is getting funds tomorrow or perhaps Saturday if I’m too busy.

Also found 3 banks which offer incentives for a new account. HSBC now out of London offers $225.00 for a new account.

I will probably go with one of the two others which are US based.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »

LOL It is "QE to infinity" here with 41 Million Americans on official unemployment roles drawing state plus Fed $600 per week supplemental "UI"... Forty One Million being incentivised to stay on UI  holiday.

So no "V" or "U" but a protracted bathtub shaped recovery while small biz gets hosed with a government caused workers shortage while big biz demanding more H1B indentured Indian immigrant replacement workers.

Minneapolis riots and fires last night... Wait till UI largesse runs out mayhem and food riots occur in the core urban jungles.

:trainwreck: :trainwreck: :trainwreck:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/28/nation/national-guard-called-respond-minneapolis-after-riots-break-out/

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »
Well. I am a decade or more out of practice, but I've picked a few more up the last week or so. I sold half of my BT to bag a little profit. That's the only "trading" I did. I'm currently 12% up.  :smokin:

(Attachment Link)

Congratulations.

I like Royal Dutch Shell very much!

And still like Adidas as well. Have you considered Boeing?

Online Texan77

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
This explains the problem we are having in the USA. Out of 125 million households we have 41 million people laid off. Sure some of them will go back to work but how many?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/millions-relying-on-pandemic-aid-can-see-its-end-and-they-re-scared/ar-BB14JpQq?li=BBnb7Kz

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:25 AM »

(Attachment Link)
Nice play.  tiphat

Staying sharp is key.

Congratulations.

I like Royal Dutch Shell very much!

And still like Adidas as well. Have you considered Boeing?
I'm following JetBlue and CCL (Carnival Cruise Lines) also and like the movement/volatility.

Adidas looks interesting and I just put it on my watchlist :). I like swing trading more than day trading mostly because of my schedule.

I have a few rules I "try" to follow when trading:

Rule number 1 - don't be greedy and take the profit. Maybe the hardest thing to do. Timing the market is impossible. I usually look at 10% profit as a rule. I might wait a bit if it continues to climb and then lock in a stop limit and move it accordingly, but I'll take 10% profit all day long.

I've been up 30-60% before only to end up losing money because I got greedy (especially in my early days of trading), wanted more and then the stock tanked and I couldn't get out in time.

Rule #2 - trading is basically gambling IMO so risk management is crucial. While stocks can move any direction at any moment, a 2-3% loss and I'm out. Live to play another day so to speak even if the stock changes direction. I find this works best for me.

If I'm taking on average a 10% profit and losing on average 2-3%, I can lose more times than I win and still profit. IOW, I can lose 70% of the time and still profit in the long run.

Like Andrew said, at least 80% of investors/traders lose money (I think it's more like 90%). IMO this is the most important rule of them all. You're going to lose more trades than you win in general. Minimize your losses.

rule #3 - don't get emotional or at least try and stick to your plan. Always have a plan going in, e.g., how much profit/ loss?, what support/resistance trends have formulated?, what's my goal?, etc.

rule #4 - don't fall in love with a stock. It doesn't love you. Holding on to a stock past its usefulness just because you touted it is a killer.  ;D See rule #2.

rule #5 - keep your ears open but do your due diligence . Simple.

rule #6 - Trade the same stocks. Stocks have patterns. When you follow a stock over a few months you'll notice tendencies, e.g., support and resistance.

rule #7 - be generous with any profit. It's just good karma.

All the above may seem simple to do and I think most of you know this, but when you're in the heat of the moment it's incredibly hard to keep your emotions in check.

There are some really good bargains these days.

Registration