The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Stocks and Shares  (Read 45555 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Stocks and Shares
« on: May 18, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
I wonder if we have many stock market investors here?

I used to do some day trading a few years ago. I’ve recently opened up another trading account (in a tax free ISA wrapping you can put £20k pa in) so I can have a play again.

I’ve dropped a few quid in and bought some stuff. I’m no expert but much of it is just maths and common sense with a touch of feelz.

I reckon anyone can outperform circa 1.5% bank interest in a depressed Coronavirus market with his eyes closed. I’ll be disappointed if I can’t do 10% pa.

Anyone else doing this? Let’s talk stocks....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Stocks and Shares
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »

I used to do some day trading a few years ago. I’ve recently opened up another trading account (in a tax free ISA wrapping you can put £20k pa in) so I can have a play again.

I’ve dropped a few quid in and bought some stuff. I’m no expert but much of it is just maths and common sense with a touch of feelz.

I reckon anyone can outperform circa 1.5% bank interest in a depressed Coronavirus market with his eyes closed. I’ll be disappointed if I can’t do 10% pa.

I have some cash invested in the market via an investment trading account. I’ve been playing the market over the past few years and have had some very healthy returns via dividend payouts and capital gains.
One year I had a 20% ROI.
However, at the moment I’m taking a beating and don’t see a return to the black for some time to come.  :GRRRR:

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:38:27 AM »
I have a finance background and have been investing for a long time.  Made good money with US tech stocks.  Still getting my dividends and will ride out the market.

Have seen the big crashes but humans are greedy and things will always go back up.  If you are starting out I would buy into an index fund like the S&P 500, Dow Jones, Nasdaq.  Then a bond fund to balance.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:39:11 AM »
Anyone with existing holdings will have taken a hammering. They’ll mostly come back.

I had some BT which is on the floor, so I’ve just had a load more.

Look at airlines like Ryanair. They’ll be flying again soon, and before you know it, they will be transporting every council estate occupant back to the Costa del Chlamydia.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Wiz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:55:25 AM »

;D ;D ;D
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:40:14 AM »
I have several trader friends in St Petersburg who have lived here like 20 years , they work from home buying futures and so on , both are investing millions, making a lot of money have companies in the usual places and own vast amounts of property here , like millions and millions worth of property apartments every where.. I know them them pretty well and  we are often out together one guy from the US has lots of multi million dollar clients ... I have asked if its all legit  :laugh: apparently so...
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
I reckon anyone can outperform circa 1.5% bank interest in a depressed Coronavirus market with his eyes closed. I'll be disappointed if I can't do 10% pa.

Obviously, it can change by the minute. But I'll celebrate 4% in a few days to say I havent lost my touch. I'll share here what I punted on recently.

ila_rendered

Based on that, I could cash out and after fees still beat a year of bank interest.

I'm not worried about Tesco or Sainsburys (inc. Argos), they'll move soon enough. For our friends over the pond, these are huge UK supermarkets. And during the virus, people have been panic buying groceries as we know. They've all raised prices because they can. Any downtrend is emotion only. Next results will be epic.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
Adidas I really like and what about Vodaphone?

This guy has piqued my interest, what is this $6 stock he’s pushing?

https://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/near-future-report-the/whats-the-6-stock-pitched-by-jeff-brown-for-the-1-tech-pick-of-the-decade-the-c-v2x-revolution/

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
If you are starting out I would buy into an index fund like the S&P 500, Dow Jones, Nasdaq.  Then a bond fund to balance.

These are safe plays for the bank investor that doesn't want 1%, surely? 

I'm looking here at dropping in some free Boris money play money. £10-20k pa. Just common sense plays, common sense sectors, common sense blue chips. I'd only play a minnow on a hunch or tip I trusted. Worst case scenario at the moment is losing maybe 10-20% short term, make it up with dividends anyway. I'm not seeing a downside. Were IN the downside. This is the time to buy......

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

You're right, but with BT in the basket, I was toying with o2 and Vodafone too, but didn't want to over-expose in telecoms in a few days with a small new portfolio until I saw a trend. But yes, I was poised over Vodafone at the same time as BT (British Telecom).

https://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/near-future-report-the/whats-the-6-stock-pitched-by-jeff-brown-for-the-1-tech-pick-of-the-decade-the-c-v2x-revolution/

I dislike those squeeze pages, and I dont know that site, but I agree NOK (Nokia) might be worth doing some reading on.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »

You're right, but with BT in the basket, I was toying with o2 and Vodafone too, but didn't want to over-expose in telecoms in a few days with a small new portfolio until I saw a trend. But yes, I was poised over Vodafone at the same time as BT (British Telecom).

I dislike those squeeze pages, and I dont know that site, but I agree NOK (Nokia) might be worth doing some reading on.

I’m planning on purchasing “the near future” stock market report by Jeff Brown of Silicon Valley fame aka Bonner and partners, in the next few weeks as it’s only $49. I won’t tell you what he’s recommending other than perhaps a major blue chip, however I will report back as to if I think it is worth the price.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »

I’m planning on purchasing “the near future” stock market report by Jeff Brown of Silicon Valley fame aka Bonner and partners, in the next few weeks as it’s only $49. I won’t tell you what he’s recommending other than perhaps a major blue chip, however I will report back as to if I think it is worth the price.

I think it's about feeling a sector first. Its feelz....

Airlines: on the floor, downsides priced in already, they'll be flying soon.

Street Retail: Lost fortunes, big overheads, nobody rushing back - avoid.

Telecoms: Lost value on feelz, people still buying phones and internet.

Food: We all need. Where do you shop? Can't fall very far.

Oil: on the floor - we'll soon be buying petrol (gas) again and Russia and the Arabs will force the price up a bit.

I'm thinking about really common sense plays.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »

I think it's about feeling a sector first. Its feelz....

Airlines: on the floor, downsides priced in already, they'll be flying soon.

Street Retail: Lost fortunes, big overheads, nobody rushing back - avoid.

Telecoms: Lost value on feelz, people still buying phones and internet.

Food: We all need. Where do you shop? Can't fall very far.

Oil: on the floor - we'll soon be buying petrol (gas) again and Russia and the Arabs will force the price up a bit.

I'm thinking about really common sense plays.

You like dividends? Boeing will come roaring back pretty soon, IMO.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
If you are starting out I would buy into an index fund like the S&P 500, Dow Jones, Nasdaq.  Then a bond fund to balance.

I'm looking here at dropping in some free Boris money play money. £10-20k pa. Just common sense plays, common sense sectors, common sense blue chips. I'd only play a minnow on a hunch or tip I trusted. Worst case scenario at the moment is losing maybe 10-20% short term, make it up with dividends anyway. I'm not seeing a downside. Were IN the downside. This is the time to buy......

Funnily enough I considered taking out the bounce back loan & dropping some 0% interest cash into a few fairly solid investments. Spread 40k for a year and get a return before sending Boris his cash back 12 months later.

Have you done this?

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 01:18:01 AM »
No, I got some free Boris loot through the business rates on a couple of buildings and then if self employed there was a further 80% of three months drawings free money. But if there’s 0% money out there and you could cover any downside, why not?

If you do, you could do an ISA for you and wifey (unless you’ve used this years allowance already) @ £20k each and any gains will be completely tax free. 0% money and tax free profits: double bubble.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »

Funnily enough I considered taking out the bounce back loan & dropping some 0% interest cash into a few fairly solid investments. Spread 40k for a year and get a return before sending Boris his cash back 12 months later.

Have you done this?

Rosco,

Yes that's free money for 12 months or so they promote, but beware, if you take the full £50k (BBLS) you are responsible for the 2.5% interest for the interest free period which equates to £1250, so as long as you use the money wisely and get better than 2.5% return on it, then you will come out ahead.

We don't need the money, but like you, was considering taking it as its free cash  (:), but you need to cover the £1250 (2.5%) that the Government guarantees to the lender if you want to pay it back in 12 months time.

You can if you so wish, start the loan process and go right through to the end of it online, without hitting submit and it will give you all the info as you do it, this is the bounce back loan scheme, not the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS), you need to give PG's for that one.

So in effect, it is free for 12 months, but then at month 13 you have to start paying, or you can pay it back at any time, but will be liable for the first years interest. Check it out and see if that is how you read it, I looked at it a few days ago through Lloyds.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 02:05:39 AM »
No, I got some free Boris loot through the business rates on a couple of buildings and then if self employed there was a further 80% of three months drawings free money. But if there’s 0% money out there and you could cover any downside, why not?

If you do, you could do an ISA for you and wifey (unless you’ve used this years allowance already) @ £20k each and any gains will be completely tax free. 0% money and tax free profits: double bubble.

I doubt it would work in Rosco's place or mine using the (BBLS),  if he takes the cash out of the company (Limited Co), then it would be classed as Dividends I assume? so would pay tax on those eventually, then the ISA would need to be paying a lot more than 2.5% PA, just to cover the loan as I mentioned above, that's without any tax liabilities that he may have from dividends. IMHO anyway.

I checked ISA's out (we already have them) but best rate I could get was with Paragon at 1% with a 120 day notice period. Ours are paying a lot less than 1% at the moment, but even the Paragon one would fall short in the example above.
Слава Україні

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 02:44:34 AM »
Surely there is no money in selling stocks and shares if its just a few bob's worth your buying?

So maybe some one could enlighten me what profit you could expect to make on say 50k over 12 months investing and buying then exactly 12 months later cashing it all in and getting your cash back with profit ?? How much would you expect to get back?

52k?

55K?

75K?

100K?

Or ?

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:54 AM »

Have you done this?

Rosco,

Yes that's free money for 12 months or so they promote, but beware, if you take the full £50k (BBLS) you are responsible for the 2.5% interest for the interest free period which equates to £1250, so as long as you use the money wisely and get better than 2.5% return on it, then you will come out ahead.

We don't need the money, but like you, was considering taking it as its free cash  (:), but you need to cover the £1250 (2.5%) that the Government guarantees to the lender if you want to pay it back in 12 months time.

You can if you so wish, start the loan process and go right through to the end of it online, without hitting submit and it will give you all the info as you do it, this is the bounce back loan scheme, not the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS), you need to give PG's for that one.

So in effect, it is free for 12 months, but then at month 13 you have to start paying, or you can pay it back at any time, but will be liable for the first years interest. Check it out and see if that is how you read it, I looked at it a few days ago through Lloyds.

I forgot to update you but I did get the £10k business grant a while back and both the wife and I have been furloughed through our business. Sadly the dividend wasn't included in our earnings but 2 x 80% of £772 a month for a number of months keeps us ticking over. We don't really need the bounce back cash but I've been thinking about projects I could do with the cash.

I'm just wondering if there will be some re-possessed flats or something we could buy cheap, do up and flog on at full whack in 12months or so. There's something in the notes pre loan saying that you cant use it for personal gain, but the reality is, what business wouldn't use it for profit.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 03:07:50 AM »

I doubt it would work in Rosco's place or mine using the (BBLS),  if he takes the cash out of the company (Limited Co), then it would be classed as Dividends I assume? so would pay tax on those eventually, then the ISA would need to be paying a lot more than 2.5% PA, just to cover the loan as I mentioned above, that's without any tax liabilities that he may have from dividends. IMHO anyway.

I checked ISA's out (we already have them) but best rate I could get was with Paragon at 1% with a 120 day notice period. Ours are paying a lot less than 1% at the moment, but even the Paragon one would fall short in the example above.

Sadly, you're bang on Chris.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »
Those low returns are for a cash isa. There's other options that should give much better returns.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 04:33:10 AM »
Those low returns are for a cash isa. There's other options that should give much better returns.

Yes, I was referring to a stocks and shares ISA.

https://www.hl.co.uk/partners/search/stocks-shares-isa

Offline Chris

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 07:05:27 AM »
Surely there is no money in selling stocks and shares if its just a few bob's worth your buying?

no not really, unless its long term

So maybe some one could enlighten me what profit you could expect to make on say 50k over 12 months investing and buying then exactly 12 months later cashing it all in and getting your cash back with profit ?? How much would you expect to get back?

52k?

55K?

75K?

100K?

Or ?

Current interest rates are very low of course, the Bank of England base rate is at ca.0.1% and I doubt it will rise very much in the foreseeable future. So the interest you can earn if you just put your money in a Cash ISA is not going to build up very much.

Lets assume a 2% interest rate (that's very generous)  £10,000 put away in a cash savings account today, (assume you want to double your money)  will compound to just £20K but that is over the course of 40 years, how many here have that long to wait  :)

By contrast, investing that same £10,000 in the stock market at an annual return of, say, 5% (you can do better but also worse) that will compound to a much more impressive £70K over the same period, but both examples are long term outlooks, making good returns in the short term is much harder, although there may be other income to derive from shares in the form of dividends etc.

It really depends on ones risk aversion.

HTH
Слава Україні

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »

52k?

55K?

75K?

100K?

Or ?

Current interest rates are very low of course, the Bank of England base rate is at ca.0.1% and I doubt it will rise very much in the foreseeable future. So the interest you can earn if you just put your money in a Cash ISA is not going to build up very much.

Lets assume a 2% interest rate (that's very generous)  £10,000 put away in a cash savings account today, (assume you want to double your money)  will compound to just £20K but that is over the course of 40 years, how many here have that long to wait  :)

By contrast, investing that same £10,000 in the stock market at an annual return of, say, 5% (you can do better but also worse) that will compound to a much more impressive £70K over the same period, but both examples are long term outlooks, making good returns in the short term is much harder, although there may be other income to derive from shares in the form of dividends etc.

HTH

But in 40 years time 70,000K will buy exactly what? A second hand car if your lucky .. It would be no different to having the 10K right now sure? But you will just be a little older 40 years to be precise ?

Offline Chris

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »

52k?

55K?

75K?

100K?

Or ?

HTH

But in 40 years time 70,000K will buy exactly what? A second hand car if your lucky .. It would be no different to having the 10K right now sure? But you will just be a little older 40 years to be precise ?

Agreed, but I only used 40 years to show how long it would take to double your money if you put it in a bank savings account paying 2% and what the same amount could in theory make on the SM.  I wouldn't want to have to wait 40 years for sure.
Слава Україні