The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Juicing and Blending  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Juicing and Blending
« on: May 16, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »
Apart from the Greek Salat, we also eat vegetarian Greek recipes and  I also eat a lot of Fish  and some  meat, plenty of Fresh Orange juice, fruit ..... and water!.
I hope it's fresh squeezed OJ. Store bought in cartons/bottles is pasteurized and have too much sugar, almost at the level of a soda because much of the skin (not peel) has been removed and it breaks down as simple sugar fructose.

Make sure it's fresh squeeze only, but whole oranges are better with satiation. I would also recommend a blender over a juicer because the skin is not removed with a blender.

Definitely no sodas of any kind and only fresh squeezed OJ, and no more than a glass a day. There's a reason they say "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", because too many spike your glycemic levels. Same with oranges or any other "sugary" fruit.

Sodas are some of the worst things you can put in your body, period.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Juicing and Blending
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »
Apart from the Greek Salat, we also eat vegetarian Greek recipes and  I also eat a lot of Fish  and some  meat, plenty of Fresh Orange juice, fruit ..... and water!.
I hope it's fresh squeezed OJ. Store bought in cartons/bottles is pasteurized and have too much sugar, almost at the level of a soda because much of the skin (not peel) has been removed and it breaks down as simple sugar fructose.

Make sure it's fresh squeeze only, but whole oranges are better with satiation. I would also recommend a blender over a juicer because the skin is not removed with a blender.

Definitely no sodas of any kind and only fresh squeezed OJ, and no more than a glass a day. There's a reason they say "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", because too many spike your glycemic levels. Same with oranges or any other "sugary" fruit.

Sodas are some of the worst things you can put in your body, period.

100% agree with this.
All store bought juices are the devils drink as well.
I do buy a ‘green juice’ which is a blend of freshly squeezed celery, mint, spinach, OJ. Once a week or so.
Otherwise it’s no bother to hand squeeze a couple of oranges which is about 200ml of juice. More than enough.

I also have a juicer which we use to make fresh juice for the family using mixes of carrots, apples, oranges, celery, pineapple and anything else that’s at hand.

Online Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:19:20 PM »
I think I made clear that I follow a Mediterranean healthy diet.

Don't forget I was born in Greece and in our house no process food has place of any kind. Yes I do have all the necessary tools for fresh food and OJ etc.......

Thanks for all the advice

tiphat

Here in the UK, where most fruits and other items are imported, people don't really know that all of them are refrigerated during transportation and the taste is not the same as in the hot Med countries. Today my wife and I had a long discussion.... about it! and we both agreed that the taste is not the same as in Spain and Greece.

Not a lot we can do and when air travel starts.... I am going to book a holiday to Greece......

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
I like juicing my own oranges too. Moulinex do a very simple but rather good electric juicer.

You dont see them so much in the UK. I got mine in France for maybe 20 Euros.

Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
I think I made clear that I follow a Mediterranean healthy diet.

Don't forget I was born in Greece and in our house no process food has place of any kind. Yes I do have all the necessary tools for fresh food and OJ etc.......

Thanks for all the advice

tiphat

Here in the UK, where most fruits and other items are imported, people don't really know that all of them are refrigerated during transportation and the taste is not the same as in the hot Med countries. Today my wife and I had a long discussion.... about it! and we both agreed that the taste is not the same as in Spain and Greece.

Not a lot we can do and when air travel starts.... I am going to book a holiday to Greece......

(Attachment Link)

tiphat

Did you get that on the antique road show?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
I like juicing my own oranges too. Moulinex do a very simple but rather good electric juicer.

(Attachment Link)

You dont see them so much in the UK. I got mine in France for maybe 20 Euros.

Thats just an entry level juicer.. :laugh: Wife just ordered one for us actually 315.00 quid!!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
I would also recommend a blender over a juicer because the skin is not removed with a blender.

You blend the entire fruit, skin and all?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Wiz

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:07:48 AM »
I would also recommend a blender over a juicer because the skin is not removed with a blender.

Apples, Pears, peaches and few others we eat them with the skin.....Oranges and Tsatsouma without the skin!

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 05:56:08 AM »
Я люблю соки, и в чистом виде, и добавлять в воду делая лимонады, и смешивать разные. Часто делаю СМУЗИ, мне такой напиток даже прием пищи может заменить. Всем бы советовала иногда вместо ужина, или второго завтрака  :thumbsup:

I love juices, both in pure form, and add to water making lemonades, and mix different ones. I often make SMOOTHIES, even a meal can replace such a drink. I would advise everyone sometimes instead of dinner, or second breakfast.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »

Apples, Pears, peaches and few others we eat them with the skin.....Oranges and Tsatsouma without the skin!

Skin has highest concentration of nutrients.

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Вы о каких фруктах и овощах говорите? Просто явно не все можно с кожурой для сока использовать  :)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 12:29:01 AM »
Вы о каких фруктах и овощах говорите? Просто явно не все можно с кожурой для сока использовать  :)

For juicing with a blender one can juice apples, peaches, pears and tomatoes all with the skin on.

If you’re juicing oranges then peel them first. However you can still eat an orange peel in small pieces; it’s a bit tangy and very nutritious.

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

For juicing with a blender one can juice apples, peaches, pears and tomatoes all with the skin on.

If you’re juicing oranges then peel them first. However you can still eat an orange peel in small pieces; it’s a bit tangy and very nutritious.
Спасибо. Это полезная информация, многие чуть ли не все фрукты и овощи с кожурой в соковыжималку отправляют  :nod:
А цедру апельсина, лимона, грейпфрута, памело я часто превращаю в цукаты, это очень вкусно.
А ещё ее можно для выпечки использовать, настаивать водку на кожуре цитрусовых... :)

Thank you. This is useful information, many almost all fruits and vegetables with peels are sent to the juicer :nod:
And I often turn the zest of orange, lemon, grapefruit, pomelo into candied fruits, it's very tasty.
And you can also use it for baking, insist vodka on the peel of citrus fruits ... :)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 04:29:01 AM »
I haven't posted much on these topics recently, but still feel it's important because of all the (scientific) research available.

I will start back with my new smoothie mix:
Half of 1 banana
1-2 celery sticks depending on size
1-2 leaves of kale depending on size.
1 medium size carrot
A handful of blueberries
Pinch of mint leaves
3-4 walnuts
Handful of pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
cinnamon sticks to your taste
splash of freshly squeeze OJ to make it all blend
1 tray of ice
Optional - 1/2 cup spinach instead of kale or both together
kiwi instead of blueberries depending on season and availability
a small chunk of ginger if you like

Yes, it seems like a lot of ingredients, but once blended, not really.

Tastes fantastic and I could/would never sit down and eat all this at one time, and I don't particularly like kale (it tastes good in a smoothie though), but it's a great way to get most of your RDA of vitamins/minerals from fruits and veggies at once.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.