The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Walking my way to fitness and health.  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Walking my way to fitness and health.
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »

I like to eat a big meal first thing and then downsize from there. Seems to satiate me for the rest of the day. Your photo looks more like last night for me as I had pistachios and an orange for dinner tiphat.

Nuts are a great source of "good" fat. I usually bring back an assortment of pure nut butters from America when I return to Moscow. Cashew, almond, sunflower seed and mixed nut blends are my favs.

Impossible to find pure nut butters in Russia, except maybe peanut butter.

Nut butters for me are easier to deal with than nuts themselves and are more versatile when making different meals.
That’s not all of my breakfast. I mix nuts with whole fresh plain yoghurt with a banana or chopped apple and some organic whole grain cereal.
That keeps me going till lunch.

I like the idea of nut butters but they have high calorific value. What do you have them with?

The photo is actually a mix of 14 different cereals, not nuts, which are ground and blended together. You cook them for a few minutes and eat like a mushy porridge.
On its own, pretty tasteless but with a bit of honey and added nuts etc, quite edible.
Sometimes I spread them on whole grain toast with some honey. They also go well with celery and in smoothies.

Nobody knows you like yourself, but good quality fats will actually help you lose weight in the long run if you continue to stick to a regimen of exercise, fasting, quality sleep and healthy eating foods low in refined carbs, believe it or not.

My smoothie recipe:
1 banana a little overripe preferred but any will do
spinach - as much as you like
1 carrot about the same size as the banana
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2-3 fresh cinnamon sticks
a scoop (1 tbsp) nut butter of my choice
chunk of ginger
fresh mint to taste
fresh squeezed juice to your liking, just enough to get it all to blend
ice

Blend together to your desired thickness.

Tastes mighty fine, especially if you live in climates like the one you're in. A meal in and of itself. :)

I’ll get some cashew butter and try it out.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2020, 03:52:44 AM »
So far I’ve lost 2.1kg since I started my walk my way to health and fitness regime in early April.
That’s a little over 1kg/month.

At this rate I will reach my target weight by December.

I’ve also purchased a Fitbit to more closely monitor my activity and adjust it so as to benefit the most.
The one I have is the Huawei Band 4 Pro-014.
No complaints so far.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
Congratulations.  tiphat

I stopped the 5:2 and I again use an app called "Lose It" I find quite good: https://www.loseit.com/

You fill it with data, including what you eat, tell it where you want to be and it plots your calories daily to get there. You can subtract your exercise. It does it all. I call it the drink wine and eat kebabs diet.  It doesnt matter how you consume the calories as long as the daily totals are right, you'll lose weight. I've done 1.8kgs in few weeks.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »
I started the diet again a week ago. Back on the vlcd. A long term journey.

Last time I weighed myself I found that I'd put on 2 kg since coming of the diet at the end of February. Less than I'd expected.
Now back to where I was back then.

Next stage toward the long term goal. A long road to be sure.

My best wishes to all on a similar journey but my admiration to those able to foreswear food in favour of a diet of nuts and dried fruit.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »
I started the diet again a week ago. Back on the vlcd. A long term journey.

Last time I weighed myself I found that I'd put on 2 kg since coming of the diet at the end of February. Less than I'd expected.
Now back to where I was back then.

Next stage toward the long term goal. A long road to be sure.

My best wishes to all on a similar journey but my admiration to those able to foreswear food in favour of a diet of nuts and dried fruit.

It’s not all nuts and dried fruit.  :laugh:
This morning I had a banana and mixed berries smoothie and a roast dinner later.

I agree that there’s no short term fix and only a long term strategy incorporating a rounded approach to diet and exercise will ensure weight loss and good health.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
Glad that it's not all nuts and dried fruit!

On the whole, it seems to me that although I'd love to have already reached my target, going in this way, following my motivation is better than not doing it at all or seeing a setback as a failure.

I was encouraged to have only put on 2 kilos during a time of enforced idleness and less than perfect eating. Its clear that my diet has improved in a manner that I had not noticed.

So, time to get rid of the next 10 kilos.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2020, 02:11:17 AM »

On the whole, it seems to me that although I'd love to have already reached my target, going in this way, following my motivation is better than not doing it at all or seeing a setback as a failure.

I was encouraged to have only put on 2 kilos during a time of enforced idleness and less than perfect eating. Its clear that my diet has improved in a manner that I had not noticed.

I’m sure that with perseverance and dietary strictures in place, the desired change will ensue.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2020, 02:18:56 AM »

I’m sure that with perseverance and dietary strictures in place, the desired change will ensue.
Slow and steady wins the race. Discipline is also a must.

It wasn't until after 1 year of IF that the benefits really started to kick in. It's like going to the gym, or learning another language, people get frustrated when they don't see results quickly. But, if you stick to it, the benefits come in droves.

Also, when you go a bit astray from your plan, no worries, you still need to enjoy life :).
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2020, 04:27:26 AM »

Slow and steady wins the race. Discipline is also a must.

It wasn't until after 1 year of IF that the benefits really started to kick in. It's like going to the gym, or learning another language, people get frustrated when they don't see results quickly. But, if you stick to it, the benefits come in droves.

Also, when you go a bit astray from your plan, no worries, you still need to enjoy life :).
Definitely. The gains don’t happen in a hurry.
Saying that, I’m happy with progress so far and my body has adjusted to the fasting times so no more pangs in the evening.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2020, 02:46:48 AM »
Yoga ain't for sissies anymore.  ;D

I remember back a few years ago, one of my associates (part time yoga instructor) asked me if I'd like to come to one of her yoga classes. My first thought was, do I look gay?  :P

Of course, it's a joke, but I'm sure in the back of most men's mind, the thought exists.

I decided to take her up on her offer and away I went. I don't remember the exact type of yoga she taught, but a typical session was 2 hours with a 10-15 minute "sleep" activity at the end. Pretty f^&*^*&g gruelling if you ask me. ;D

Yoga, IMO, is a perfect compliment to any other training one might be doing. Stretching, while always an important part of any activity, is vital to one's overall health.

A typical stretching routine for me is around 30-40 minutes after my training session.

I'm looking to get back into some form of yoga as I really enjoyed it (I stop because of scheduling difficulties). I can tell you straight up, it isn't easy and it changed my mind about some of the stereotypes I had about it. The strength and control necessary are off the charts if done correctly.

If yoga is not for you, or you can't quite fit it into your schedule, don't underestimate the importance of a good stretch. A vital part of a healthy lifestyle, especially as you age.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
For the past month I have been walking every evening, in part to have some structure to my day during the Corona lockdown but also to stay fit and lose a few pounds which have been slowly accumulating around my waist.
A few weeks in I had a bit of knee trouble but that has passed and I have been ramping up the intensity and distance.

Yesterday I finished a 15km combination of running and fast walking in 2h 21min.
In the past week I’ve dropped 900gms.
- 900 grams per week is a very good result. I also am of the opinion that movement is not only life, but also health. And it’s not necessary to run or exhaust yourself in the gym, 12,000 steps a day and you will feel great! :)

- 900 грамм за неделю это очень хороший результат. Я тоже придерживаюсь мнения что движение это не только жизнь, но и здоровье. И совсем не обязательно бегать или изнурять себя в зале, 12000 шагов в день и вы будете себя прекрасно чувствовать!  :)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
It’s been a few months since I posted any updates.
TBH, after I stopped working from home in early September my exercise routine pretty much stopped. I can say that I got into a bit off a rut and some of the gains I had made crept back on.
One of the reasons was that all the streets around where we live and on my training circuit have been dug up for drainage works so to walk I have to drive 5 miles, park up, do my walk and drive home.
It consumed time in the evening I don’t really have.

I decided to do something about it and have engaged a personal trainer. An ex British Army PE Trainer.
I had my first session this afternoon. At about £60 a session it’s not cheap but a worthwhile investment, I feel.

Something Danchik said in another thread touched a chord with me.
Quote from: Danchik
Growth happens when you put yourself in unfamiliar, and yes, uncomfortable circumstances and situations and deal with it until it becomes comfortable.

Very true, indeed and so coincidental to my own personal circumstances in relation to what I described above.
In addition, each of us who have won over and married FSUW have ventured into new and, at times, hostile territory and faced down all the challenges that ensued.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Offline KachenkaPro

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 05:51:01 AM »
TBH, after I stopped working from home in early September my exercise routine pretty much stopped. I can say that I got into a bit off a rut and some of the gains I had made crept back on.
One of the reasons was that all the streets around where we live and on my training circuit have been dug up for drainage works so to walk I have to drive 5 miles, park up, do my walk and drive home.

I decided to do something about it and have engaged a personal trainer. An ex British Army PE Trainer.
I had my first session this afternoon. At about £60 a session it’s not cheap but a worthwhile investment, I feel.

Growth happens when you put yourself in unfamiliar, and yes, uncomfortable circumstances and situations and deal with it until it becomes comfortable.

Very true, indeed and so coincidental to my own personal circumstances in relation to what I described above.
In addition, each of us who have won over and married FSUW have ventured into new and, at times, hostile territory and faced down all the challenges that ensued.
Регулярность - это ключ к успеху. Не сдаваться, не останавливаться, проводить 3 тренировки в неделю (если нет травм), ну и питание откорректировать. Результат будет, это 100%! Желаю вам удачи :-)

Regularity is the key to success. Do not give up, do not stop, do 3 workouts a week (if there are no injuries), and correct your nutrition. The result will be, it's 100%! Wish you luck :-)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »

Регулярность - это ключ к успеху. Не сдаваться, не останавливаться, проводить 3 тренировки в неделю (если нет травм), ну и питание откорректировать. Результат будет, это 100%! Желаю вам удачи :-)

Regularity is the key to success. Do not give up, do not stop, do 3 workouts a week (if there are no injuries), and correct your nutrition. The result will be, it's 100%! Wish you luck :-)
Unfortunately I’m very demotivated at the moment and haven’t any inclination to go outdoors and exercise.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2021, 02:03:41 PM »
Unfortunately I’m very demotivated at the moment and haven’t any inclination to go outdoors and exercise.

With a broken wrist and forearm and 60 cms of snow on the ground. It is hard on your birthday to be enthusiastic.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot