The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Walking my way to fitness and health.  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Walking my way to fitness and health.
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:39:13 AM »
For the past month I have been walking every evening, in part to have some structure to my day during the Corona lockdown but also to stay fit and lose a few pounds which have been slowly accumulating around my waist.
A few weeks in I had a bit of knee trouble but that has passed and I have been ramping up the intensity and distance.

Yesterday I finished a 15km combination of running and fast walking in 2h 21min.
In the past week I’ve dropped 900gms.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Walking my way to fitness and health.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11:57 AM »
Here in Moscow we're not allowed to go out except for throwing out the garbage, for walking the dog (I don't have any) not further than 100 meters from home, for grocery shopping (by feet) or for going to the farmacy (also by feet).

Luckily enough, my fitness-club hast live broadcasts on Instagram 3 times a day - at 12:00, 15:00 and 19:00. So I try to join at least once a day...   :party0011:

...and I try to pack up garbage in smaller packages, to have something to throw out every day (paper \ plastic \ glass \ aluminium \ bio...).
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:15:10 AM »
Here in Moscow we're not allowed to go out except for throwing out the garbage, for walking the dog (I don't have any) not further than 100 meters from home, for grocery shopping (by feet) or for going to the farmacy (also by feet).

Luckily enough, my fitness-club hast live broadcasts on Instagram 3 times a day - at 12:00, 15:00 and 19:00. So I try to join at least once a day...   :party0011:

...and I try to pack up garbage in smaller packages, to have something to throw out every day (paper \ plastic \ glass \ aluminium \ bio...).
You could use the stairs instead of the elevator. A few times up and down a day is a pretty good workout.  :)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
For the past month I have been walking every evening, in part to have some structure to my day during the Corona lockdown but also to stay fit and lose a few pounds which have been slowly accumulating around my waist.
A few weeks in I had a bit of knee trouble but that has passed and I have been ramping up the intensity and distance.

Yesterday I finished a 15km combination of running and fast walking in 2h 21min.

Kudos Dogsoldier! Fresh air is good for both the body and the mind. I've been indulging in evening walks myself lately, but on average only 2 to 3km. 15km is quite a haul.  tiphat
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:37 PM »
Although not negatively affected by the lockdown, we’ve started walking every evening for an hour or so as well because the gym is closed.

I started back on the 5:2 diet this week as well and also dropped 900g this week.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »

I was smoking for more than 50 Year and back in September 2018, I was suffering with my breathing.... COPD, so I decided to stop smoking the same day (2 packets a day) and I did without any help, whatsoever.   Well after a 1 year and 1/2 ....last January 2020 decided to start a diet....... because I had put many kilos around my waste!

I discovered a diet book in Greece Intermittent Fasting and avoidance of Diseases  and started following. since last January. For me.... it's an easy diet to follow due to the fact that in our house, our main cooking is Mediterranean Cuisine   Well Result at the end of March....... locked in my prison cell.....I lost a few Kilos......and my exercise is dancing ZORBA THE GREEK few times during the day, subject to my mood.

From nearly 128 kg now I am down to 119-120 kg. and I hope soon to go down to 110 kg.

All I have to do is 2 days a week, like Monday and Friday, I am fasting .... not eating for over 12 hours between lunch and breakfast next morning. I normally every morning between 6 AM- 9 AM I eat 2 slices toast of brown beard, jam and feta cheese. Then I have lunch between 14-16 mostly Greek food and Salat..... and  of course between eating I like to eat some fruit....and drink Camomile tea with Honey and plain water from the tap.

The book now is in Greek language and I was told that is been translated into English.

tiphat     
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »
That's similar to the 5:2 diet. On the 5:2 you choose two days a week where you only have 600 cals, and eat what you like the rest of the time. Works a treat, I did 10kg on it the first time I tried it.

When you're feeling a tad heavy just go back on it for a month or two. It falls off.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »
That’s similar to the 5:2 diet. On the 5:2 you choose two days a week where you only have 600 cals, and eat what you like the rest of the time. Works a treat, I did 10kg on it the first time I tried it.

When you’re feeling a tad heavy just go back on it for a month or two. It falls off.

That is correct and I have lost almost the same amount..... without any exercise. Of course the lockout does not help me, to walk around, but as I said, I am happy to lose 1-2 kilos a month because I got used to eat Breakfast and Lunch and plenty of fruits in between.

To be honest I don't feel hungry in between meals and I can do it almost every day. :nod:

Fresh Greek Salad is my forte and fish ....... but Wife insists to share it!  :chuckle: :chuckle:

I have to admit stopping the smoking .... is doing miracles for my pocket, every day I am saving £20 at least! so ....... more holidays abroad, .... when they will start, if they start this year.

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »

Kudos Dogsoldier! Fresh air is good for both the body and the mind. I've been indulging in evening walks myself lately, but on average only 2 to 3km. 15km is quite a haul.  tiphat
I like to push myself and do the distance.
I was a long distance runner but that was in the days before I married a FSUW.  :ROFL:
Too much of the good life since then.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
Although not negatively affected by the lockdown, we’ve started walking every evening for an hour or so as well because the gym is closed.

I started back on the 5:2 diet this week as well and also dropped 900g this week.
There should be some nice walks around where you are.
How long do you diet for?
Eat some grechka regularly. That should keep you nice and trim.  :ROFL:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
About 7 weeks ago, I decide to try and get in better shape.
When I got married, I was about 88 kgs
over last several years, that has went up to 98
also  not much exercise.

I have mini Gym in basement so, I started using again
and instead of following a diet,  I slightly changed habits and
eat a bit smaller portions.

I have lost about 4.5 kg plan to lose another 4.
With how I am doing it, unlike diets, once you stop it
often goes on quicker than it came off.
SO changing eating habits and life style will help maintain
when I reach my goal. Have not given up anything I like.
Just a little less and little less often on bad stuff.

Great to see so many working on it.

There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
Although not negatively affected by the lockdown, we've started walking every evening for an hour or so as well because the gym is closed.

We are always on the gretchka!

I'm doing two days a week @ 600 cals a day. Only just started again, so will take a wee while. 500g to 1kg a week is typical loss, but sometimes you have a plateau for a week or two.

The gym being closed the last few weeks hasn't helped of course. I was there five mornings a week.

Quote from: Wiz
stopping the smoking ....

I stopped two or three years ago. Felt much better for it but you will put weight on. Everyone does I think.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
I stopped two or three years ago. Felt much better for it but you will put weight on. Everyone does I think.

The fact is that apart from COPD in general, I am fine with my health.

At my age I do not expect to act or be like when I was a young man...... tiphat

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:40:28 AM »

The fact is that apart from COPD in general, I am fine with my health.

At my age I do not expect to act or be like when I was a young man...... tiphat
I quit smoking 25 years ago. Never regretted it.
Haven’t smoked since. I didn’t put on any weight though.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 12:48:24 AM »

We are always on the gretchka!

I’m doing two days a week @ 600 cals a day. Only just started again, so will take a wee while. 500g to 1kg a week is typical loss, but sometimes you have a plateau for a week or two.

The gym being closed the last few weeks hasn’t helped of course. I was there five mornings a week.

Quote from: Wiz
stopping the smoking ....

I have the inside story of your regime diet from the wifey network.
The scallops looked good.

We are also experimenting with different foods like ‘cauliflower puree’  :rolleye0009:
and beetroot humus.

I’m not dieting as such but have cut back on portions like Trevor and drinking less.

Also increasing my intake of fresh salads Mediterranean style and fruit.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 02:34:33 PM »
I walk every day and try to do at least 5M (8KM) total, including a 1 hour walk in the evening.  I don't lose a ton of weight doing it but a guy I hadn't seen in 6 months went out of his way (and he is really very much *not* the guy would would do this ordinarily) to say that he could really see the difference  and asked what I was doing to trim up. 

I've chunked up a bit again over the winter, but never stopped walking and the health bennies are completely worth it. 

I had some success with intermittent fasting.  I will have to look into this "5:2" thing.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
I've chunked up a bit again over the winter,

That's when it gets you. I was lean last summer, I slimmed down while wifey was in Russia for six weeks, and through October when in China and Korea eating their stuff.

But relaxing towards Christmas and new year, then skipping some gym in January, holiday, birthday in February, it's suddenly back on.  :(

I have the inside story of your regime diet from the wifey network.
The scallops looked good.

They were hers. I'm not big on seafood. She decided to join me on the 5:2 diet to be generally supportive. She likes the idea of fasting generally. She decided she could lose 2-3 kilos so jumped on board. Her menu is way more varied as she eats stuff I don't. But I'm more regimented and can drop weight quickly.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 11:59:02 PM »
also a fan of 5:2 and walking since my metabolism burn shut down at 44

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 03:41:58 AM »
I walk every day and try to do at least 5M (8KM) total, including a 1 hour walk in the evening.  I don't lose a ton of weight doing it but a guy I hadn't seen in 6 months went out of his way (and he is really every much *not* the guy would would do this ordinarily) to say that he could really see the difference  and asked what I was going to trim up. 

I've chunked up a bit again over the winter, but never stopped walking and the health bennies are completely worth it. 

I had some success with intermittent fasting.  I will have to look into this "5:2" thing.

B/B
How long have you been walking for and at what sort of pace?
I do a combination of running/fast walking and increasing the running component each time.
Of course, I expect there to be some increase in muscle bulk which will negate any weight loss in the short term but once that has stabilised I expect to see a net loss.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 03:48:15 AM »
I've chunked up a bit again over the winter,

That’s when it gets you. I was lean last summer, I slimmed down while wifey was in Russia for six weeks, and through October when in China and Korea eating their stuff.

But relaxing towards Christmas and new year, then skipping some gym in January, holiday, birthday in February, it’s suddenly back on.  :(
Consistency is the key.

Quote from: Manny

They were hers. I’m not big on seafood. She decided to join me on the 5:2 diet to be generally supportive. She likes the idea of fasting generally. She decided she could lose 2-3 kilos so jumped on board. Her menu is way more varied as she eats stuff I don’t. But I’m more regimented and can drop weight quickly.
I get subjected to ‘Marathons’ and ‘Detox’s’ which are too extreme for me and which I don’t think are too healthy in the long run.
My objective is to sustain a long term change in diet combined with regular exercise.
Kill all the cake/torte/dessert/Konfetki overload which appears to be part and parcel of being married to a FSUW.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 04:49:19 AM »
You can't help but walk in a city like Moscow. 5-6km is normal even though I started to take more taxi's (Uber/Yandex mostly) about a couple of years ago. Moscow has some of the lowest taxi fares of any big city in the world.

One can easily walk 3-4km here just using the metro most of the day and a normal day of walking before I started using taxi's was around 8-10km a day. This is Russian walking too :laugh:, including walking up and down escalators.

I love this subject as I have always been one for health and fitness. If you looked at my history on my computer you will see articles/videos one after the other about exercise, nutrition, body mechanics, etc. as they dominate my time when reading or watching something. I can't get enough about this subject.

Want to best viruses like corona? Eat well (food is medicine), exercise, get enough sleep (listen to what the Drs say about sleep depravation), be optimistic, go outside and feel the sun, and have a nice support group of family and friends.

I've been doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting for the last 2 years and I swear by it.

rules I live by.

1) mediterranean diet. I eat mostly vegetables, less fruit because too much sugar in any form spikes insulin levels. Meat occasionally, but high quality meats like lean sirloin, turkey, veal and chicken with an occasional ribeye.

No deep fried foods, mostly steaming/boiling/sautéing and I sear my meats. I've seriously reduced my process sugar intake as process sugar is the devil.

Not easy to do, especially in the American diet, but highly recommended. I do have "cheat days" with ice cream (during American football season), but mostly no process sugar, absolutely poisonous to the body.

2) I do most of the cooking. I want to know what I'm eating and I'm a pretty good cook. It's rare for me to eat something in a restaurant that I can't prepare at home better and cheaper. Never had any complaints from my guests as well, on the contrary, most are quite surprised.

3) Weight resistance training mixed in with HIIT 5-6 days a week on top of the 3-5km of walking daily. I highly recommend some form of resistance training to everyone, especially women (higher incidence of osteoporosis compared to men as you age) as it really is the key to aging gracefully and more importantly, healthy.

Interval cardio at high intensity (HIIT) is much more efficient in raising your metabolic levels than cardio done at a static pace. You can do this even when walking.

I recently bought a kettlebell because gyms are closed. A kettlebell (Russian invention BTW) is a great tool if you don't want to join a gym. Very versatile and you can get a decent workout in 20-30 minutes. A nice compliment to walking DS.

4) I'm a big fan of Drs. David Sinclair and Rhonda Patrick because of their research and expertise into diet, exercise, longevity, the science of the body, etc. and calorie restriction and its effects with regard to optimal living.

Check out their interviews with Joe Rogan for starters. Highly informative about how your body reacts to foods, exercise, the benefits of stressing your body through yoga/saunas/fasting, etc.. and the interaction of foods to your body. Love this woman.

I believe in the power of spices, herbs and such, especially garlic, ginger and turmeric. I put turmeric and ginger in my tea and turmeric in my coffee. Great for inflammation and digestion as well as improving the taste of both. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste combination of turmeric with tea and coffee.

Garlic/ginger are other anti-inflammatory foods that are easy to use and add flavor to any meal. Of course, spices like black pepper, oregano, basil, etc.. are also beneficial. 

6) My fasting window is 1pm to 9pm. It wasn't easy to do at first, so I started with 3 days a week. I remember the first day waiting until 13:00 to eat. I ate like I had been in the desert for 3 days :chuckle:.

Now. I don't even think about it and do it daily as per my lifestyle. The benefits have been extraordinary from higher levels of concentration and energy to a BMI <10% total body fat and a myriad of other benefits.

I do have "cheat" days where I'll eat ice cream and an occasional double whopper (no mayo). When you fast and exercise and increase you metabolic levels your body will absolutely burn the calories up without much effort.

I remember eating a liter of ice cream one Sunday watching football on a cheat day and going to the gym the next day, weighing myself and actually losing half a kilo from the previous day. My metabolic resting rate is off the charts.

6) I supplement my diet with a good high-quality multivitamin I get at a specialty store when I'm in LA. I also take a high dose of vitamin D and fish oil.

Nevertheless, exercise without good eating habits is like smoking to lose weight, i.e. defeating the purpose and not getting the total benefit. They work hand in hand.

You only have one life to live; live healthy my friends.  :nod:
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 05:14:03 AM »
One more thing, lots and lots of extra virgin olive oil. Cooking with it and using it with everything as my source of fat - oleic acid, monounsaturated fat.

David Sinclair.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
2) I do most of the cooking. I want to know what I'm eating and I'm a pretty good cook. It's rare for me to eat something in a restaurant that I can't prepare at home better and cheaper. Never had any complaints from my guests as well, on the contrary, most are quite surprised.

Same here.

I put turmeric and ginger in my tea and turmeric in my coffee. Great for inflammation and digestion as well as improving the taste of both. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste combination of turmeric with tea and coffee.

Garlic/ginger are other anti-inflammatory foods that are easy to use and add flavor to any meal. Of course, spices like black pepper, oregano, basil, etc.. are also beneficial. 

This I found interesting. I eat lots of all those spices too.

Ginger in tea is very much a thing in Korea. I got lots of these while there I have on diet days.

I think a diet, exercise and lifestyle room might be a good idea here.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Great post Danchik.

I love this subject as I have always been one for health and fitness. If you looked at my history on my computer you will see articles/videos one after the other about exercise, nutrition, body mechanics, etc. as they dominate my time when reading or watching something. I can't get enough about this subject.

I’ve always had an interest in food but nutrition and diet are increasingly something I am taking a deep interest in, mostly because of the huge commercialisation of food and increasingly unhealthy lifestyles promoted by industry.
I have a deep aversion to the fast food culture and avoid MacDs like the plague.

I have been drinking hot water with lemon, ginger and honey instead of my morning tea for a few years now and I’m sure it has given a major boost to my immune system.
I rarely get colds now and if I do they are gone in a day.

I started watching the video but still to finish it. Very interesting so far.

I find working out in a gym quite boring. Being a past distance runner I’m quite enjoying getting back into a runners routine and hopefully will be racking up those miles again.

I quite like the idea of the kettle ball. Will look into it.

Online Guile

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »
If you guys are into fitness, listen to this guy"

Pavel Tsatsouline- USSR born, American raised.  tons of great info.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+rogan+pavel+tsatsouline