The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 2nd Anniversary of Telegram's 'ban' in Russia  (Read 209 times)

Online msmoby

• Resident Troll
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
2nd Anniversary of Telegram's 'ban' in Russia
« on: April 30, 2020, 01:53:13 AM »
Just over two years ago, Russia banned the Telegram app in Russia and proceeded to implement it's active blocking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_Telegram_in_Russia

Two years on ( and I asked SC hot to install it on her RU mobile) it is still working  and I receive updates from Vesti ( a Kremlin controlled news channel ) via ... Telegram. (  t.me/novostisochi )

I get message most days informing me another Russian in my contact list has 'joined Telegram' ...

I am not a terrorist and *I* use it as it is THE best way to talk, if calling folks in third nations without free roaming and will work when WhatsApp and Viber give up .. 

Does anyone know what is the legal status re the 'ban' and isn't it a bit of a joke that the state media channel uses it ?

You won’t make every topic about you. Think of it like containing a virus: you can’t have it infecting everywhere.

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: 2nd Anniversary of Telegram's 'ban' in Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »
The Wiki link says:

restricting access to Telegram messenger on the territory of the Russian Federation. The technical process of this restriction began on April 16, 2018. The blocking led to interruptions in the operation of many third-party services, but practically did not affect the availability of Telegram in Russia.

That's kind of a contradiction. How can it be restricted but available?

Also, out of interest, what does Telegram have that Whatsapp doesn't?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Were not these platforms banned because Russian military personel were being silly on 'vacation'?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »
I didn't write this but it conforms with my understanding:

Telegram is blocked in Russia because Telegram don't want that their uses data is got leaked by anyone and the Russian government forced the telegram to give the data of Russian individuals for their security purpose and for some enquiry that they found something miscellaneous going on and telegram refused to give the data of their members so that's why the government banned Telegram for the citizens because they can't get data from the telegram.

To use Telegram in Russia just use a VPN that routes through someplace outside Russia.

Lots of people use VPNs for perfectly ordinary reasons and there's loads of instructions about how to use Telegram with a VPN so any sentient being who wanted to access the site can do so.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online msmoby

• Resident Troll
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »
 :ROFL:

andrewfi just demonstrated he's not been in Russia.

You do not NEED a VPN..  it still works ..

MY question was, why 'ban' it .. fail to block it and then the state's own news channel promotes it as a way to connect ..?
You won’t make every topic about you. Think of it like containing a virus: you can’t have it infecting everywhere.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
2nd Anniversary of Telegram's 'ban' in Russia
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
Just over two years ago, Russia banned the Telegram app in Russia and proceeded to implement it's active blocking
Does anyone know what is the legal status re the 'ban' and isn't it a bit of a joke that the state media channel uses it?

Many governmental organisations use it - even the Moscow city administration informs the citizens about  :king:-virus via Telegram channel https://t.me/COVID2019_official

I guess some pseudo-IT guys from FSB just wanted to get lots of money to block Telegram, put 90% in their pockets, sabotaged a few fairly innocent businesses by blocking many IPs that hat nothing to do with Telegram... and as they haven't succeeded in stopping Telegram from running, the whole blocking story is now being washed away  :biggrin:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »
Never have claimed to be in Russia however, mystic, you are wrong. It may be possible for many people to access Telegram, but it sure as sh!t is not universal as is evidence by questions online from folks unable to access the site and seeking advice as to how to do so, the advice given is to use a VPN.

And yes, as usual, I bothered to check before writng rather than doing as some do and merely bloviating.

As Olga noted, it seems likely that the block will quietly slide away over time. It seems that the Russian government's use of Telegram for virus information updates is a tacit acceptance of the reality.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online msmoby

• Resident Troll
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 09:53:03 PM »
Never have claimed to be in Russia however, mystic, you are wrong.

No, I'm not, andrewfi..  You just did your usual, "I'll Google this and post like I know",  and failed ..

In the earliest days there was all sorts of 'fun and games' as, in attempts to block Telegram, other ( legit in RU ) service providers were taken out - but rarely Telegram and if so, not for long.

It's a popular platform because ...it is reliable. - esp. in weak signal areas - hanging on, when other platforms audio is too poor.

It may be possible for many people to access Telegram, but it sure as sh!t is not universal as is evidence by questions online from folks unable to access the site and seeking advice as to how to do so, the advice given is to use a VPN.

Ancient history.

And yes, as usual, I bothered to check before writng rather than doing as some do and merely bloviating.

'Yeah' you 'checked'..  I get near hourly messages from RU Telegram users ( in Russia ) during 'working' hours and have been - constantly - since I got introduced to it in 2015.  The 2018 'blips' did not last long.  It is more likely that most users THINK they are cocking a snook at the authorities.

As Olga noted, it seems likely that the block will quietly slide away over time. It seems that the Russian government's use of Telegram for virus information updates is a tacit acceptance of the reality.

What 'block' ?