The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: When will scheduled International air travel resume?  (Read 6323 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: When will scheduled International air travel resume?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »
Moby, Texan77's Ukrainian contact thought that it would not be possible to go to Germany until the end of August.

That is incorrect. The link I shared gave the correct information.

You posted a reply, presumably, without reading the provided information.

Had you read the link provided you'd have known the correct information which is that Germans are advised to not travel out of Germany until August 31st. Incomers from countries including Ukraine will be able to travel into Germany from July 1st. Of course that's subject to change.

If you'd read the link you'd have been properly informed and thus could not HONESTLY post as you did and continue to do.

Hence my suggestion to read.

Moby, it is always a mistake to assume that other people are like you. Usually you will be wrong.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
I just found out today, via the "Weekend Australian" newspaper, that the Australian Government's ban on International travel for Australian Citizens and residents, which commenced March 18 and was legislated til June 17 was very quietly extend in May and will now run til September 17.

At this point I am still not even allowed to fly from the west coast to the east coast as Western Australia have yet to set any date for dropping their "hard" border.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2020, 02:38:27 AM »
Well new law came in yesterday and just being passed.. Im no expert on Russian law but it looks like they will not be letting the vast majority of foreigners in till 15th September , some countries are allowed in July .. but looks like Europe and US no..Of course everyone has different circumstances and if you have Russian family you maybe able to get in with an already valid visa, cos looks like there will be no business visa's issued some thing like this anyway even private visa's .. who knows cos Russian immigration officers always have their own view of the law..

Good news is it gives key board romeos a good excuse why they cannot make it for some time and more time to save up for the air fare.. ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2020, 02:58:39 AM »
Moby, Texan77's Ukrainian contact thought that it would not be possible to go to Germany until the end of August.

Well now, andrewfi, Tex's contact was more up on info than you..

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

"Germany
On June 15, Germany will lift border restrictions for travellers coming from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and the United Kingdom."

Last time I checked Ukraine does not fit the category of nationalities allowed to travel to Germany

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2020, 04:49:08 AM »
It’s going to take long time for scheduled flights to get back to any semblance of normality, if ever.
Expect airfares to cost significantly more henceforth with less choice of destinations as airlines make commercially hard nosed decisions on routes and fares.
The post Covid-19 airscape is going to look a lot different.   :rolleye0009:

Online Texan77

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2020, 06:20:05 AM »
It’s going to take long time for scheduled flights to get back to any semblance of normality, if ever.
Expect airfares to cost significantly more henceforth with less choice of destinations as airlines make commercially hard nosed decisions on routes and fares.

Warren Buffet sold 4 billion dollars of air line stocks about two weeks ago. He is  long term investor so his long term out look for airlines was not good.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2020, 07:23:00 AM »

Well now, andrewfi, Tex's contact was more up on info than you..

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

"Germany
On June 15, Germany will lift border restrictions for travellers coming from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and the United Kingdom."

Last time I checked Ukraine does not fit the category of nationalities allowed to travel to Germany
So here is a typical Moby obfuscation of the truth.

Andrews post clearly says Ukrainians unable to travel to Germany until end August.
Mobys ‘riposte’?
Quote from: MobyLiar
On June 15th.” Germany will lift border restrictions.........

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »

Warren Buffet sold 4 billion dollars of air line stocks about two weeks ago. He is  long term investor so his long term out look for airlines was not good.

By selling at that point, he left 2,5 BILLION dollars on the table.

Even the Oracle of Omaha swings and misses from time to time.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
Was out, checking a project and only half listening to the radio and a friend of a friend babble. She was what I think the English would refer to as an Essex Girl. Seriously how long can some one go on about your nail salon is closed. STFU.

On the radio was some sort of report about alcohol sales on commercial flights in the future will be banned. Sort of doubt it when one considers the profit earned by the airlines. But who knows.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind betting that some airlines might well want to stop alcohol sales and others might want to stop giving out for free and only selling.

Others would not want to stop selling.

I bet that, for example, Ryanair might be happy to stop selling booze on quite a few of their flights, in fact, I have a recollection that on some routes they were already doing that. Please correct me if my recall is faulty.

This event might serve as a way to enable airlines to make changes that they might otherwise be unable to do. Again, as an example, the UK government is saying that air passengers should not use cabin baggage. Ryanair is shouting out against it. However, I bet that somewhere in Ryanair HQ there are people who are quite happy with the idea because cabin baggage really slows down embarkation and disembarkation. Those guys know the real cost of every element of their operation so they could easily re balance costs so that punters can only take on a bag big enough for a laptop and everything else goes in the hold. They're already going to be re balancing ticket prices anyway.

One thing that I absolutely expect to see is a return to included meals, baggage allowances etc. These things all add value and are charged at a price that is significantly higher than the cost of provision and, of course, not everyone uses them. Given that fewer people are going to be likely to fly for a while, resulting in higher basic ticket prices, this enables airlines to 'add value' to justify those higher ticket prices.

Offline Manny

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
One thing that I absolutely expect to see is a return to included meals, baggage allowances etc. These things all add value and are charged at a price that is significantly higher than the cost of provision and, of course, not everyone uses them. Given that fewer people are going to be likely to fly for a while, resulting in higher basic ticket prices, this enables airlines to 'add value' to justify those higher ticket prices.

I’d welcome that. I hate being nickelled and dimed for small added “extras” that should be included anyway. Just put £50 on the flight and stop us ticking and unticking extra boxes for “extras” like a case or a sandwich. And for sure, get all that bulky hand baggage in the hold. The hand baggage nonsense only happened because cheap arsed airlines like Ryanair were too greedy to pay baggage handlers to shave two quid off the price.

I’m looking forward to normality resuming, I fancy a long weekend with wifey in Hong Kong.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Texan77

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »

By selling at that point, he left 2,5 BILLION dollars on the table.

Even the Oracle of Omaha swings and misses from time to time.

B/B

Well if he had known the market was going to crash over the virus I am sure he would sold sooner. He was already raising cash before the virus but had not yet sold the airlines. But notice he is not wanting to invest in this rally but rather used is a selling opportunity. It appears he does not feel this rally has a good risk reward. The airlines he sold are losing between 30 and 50 millions dollars a day. When all of this is over they will not be as strong of a company. Even when profit returns they will be cash depleted overly in debt companies.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »
For my purposes, I have tend to use Ryanair. When I buy the ticket I don't bother with the cheap tickets. I used to do so and then add in all the bits. I can't be arsed to do it these days.

I pay the man the money. I know that I won't ever need to worry about baggage, early checkins, bag sizers or even which seat. There's only 2 seats on a Ryanair flight that I want to sit in and it's a lot of flights since I didn't get one of them.

Obviously I don't want them to increase their prices and at first glance, for the routes of interest to me, the prices seem about normal. I do find it hard to understand why people who would not want to be thought of as poor moan so much and try to outdo Michael O'Leary in the skinflint stakes.

Pay the money, take a suitcase and relax. If you can't afford a suitcase then perhaps you should think about whether you can afford to go abroad on holiday.

Online Texan77

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2020, 06:06:47 PM »
I just checked prices to the Ukraine from Houston and they are up about 50 per cent from what I paid my last trip to Ukraine.  It was 800 plus a few dollars then and 1350 +/- now.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »
I just checked prices to the Ukraine from Houston and they are up about 50 per cent from what I paid my last trip to Ukraine.  It was 800 plus a few dollars then and 1350 +/- now.

Where is the Ukraine?

Is it next to the Russia?

Or perhaps East of the Poland?

Offline Manny

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2020, 11:34:00 PM »

Is that economy or upgraded seating? Even if economy, $1300 doesn’t seem expensive for a transatlantic flight.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2020, 11:59:54 PM »
 I just checked for a return flight to Kiev from here, July 15th, 1450.00 Cdn. Pretty much the same as it was before. That would be economy

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2020, 02:35:33 AM »

Is that economy or upgraded seating? Even if economy, $1300 doesn’t seem expensive for a transatlantic flight.
Not for summer. The difference between winter and summer SVO - LAX is about $1000 normally.

My own opinion is that "they" are trying to do what big business does, consolidate and get rid of the little guy, or buy them out. I see reduced fares until then, and then the price gouging will start  :P.

Just a FYI, I do know some people here in Moscow travelling internationally out of Minsk. A little tricky, but it seems like it can be done with the right circumstances.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2020, 02:51:11 AM »

Where is the Ukraine?

Is it next to the Russia?

Or perhaps East of the Poland?

East and West of all the places you don't go to ... 'coz, ' you're too old' .. :coffeeread:

Just a FYI, I do know some people here in Moscow travelling internationally out of Minsk. A little tricky, but it seems like it can be done with the right circumstances.

The circumstances are:

1/ Attending to a sick relative

2/ If you have residency / citizenship in a third nation

3/ Attending a funeral

4/ Belarus: Supposedly you'll have a work permit or be in a specific occupation ( medical, etc.,)

Going in:

As of June 8, the Russian government allows entry of foreigners for medical treatment or in order to care for relatives in Russia, those with residency and transit passengers

Offline justadude

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
Do you know what their circumstance is? Do you know if it is possible at this time for a Russian citizen to travel from Russia to Ukraine via airline? Or when this might be possible.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
Normally, I'd say fly via Minsk.. 

Can't see any flight with Belavia until the 1st July

Don't know what quarantine measures - if any - are applied each way ..Approx 150 USD return

Registration