The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chernobyl Forest Fires  (Read 1156 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Chernobyl Forest Fires
« on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52274242

Wildfires 'edge closer to Chernobyl nuclear plant'

Forest fires that have been burning for several days in northern Ukraine are now no more than a few kilometres from the abandoned Chernobyl nuclear plant, reports say.

Tour operator Yaroslav Emelianenko said one had reached the abandoned town of Pripyat, which used to serve the plant.

He said it was now just 2km (1.24 miles) from where the most dangerous waste from the plant was stored.

Greenpeace said the fires were much bigger than the authorities realised.

I hope this fire doesn't reach the plant.... Radiation blowing across UA/ BY ( and beyond) not something we
want to think of..
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Chernobyl Forest Fires
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
That sounds rather jolly on top of a virus doesn’t it?  :duh:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »

I hope this fire doesn't reach the plant.... Radiation blowing across UA/ BY ( and beyond) not something we
want to think of..
The plant itself was encased in a huge lead-dome. I don't think any forest fire will breach that, hopefully.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:08:16 AM »
The problem is not the fire itself, if the wind increases especially if it blows from a Northern or Western quadrant it will disturb the radioactive dust. This will than settle on population centers. Think like cities such as Sumy too Kiev.

Today it should rain a bit which will assist the fire fighting crews. The wind is light.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
Russia has a long and turbulent history with nuclear power, including regular attempts to cover up leaks and explosions.
It was accused of failing to disclose an accident at the Mayak nuclear facility in 2017 and of covering up an accident at a nuclear facility in Nyonoksa in August 2019.

Most famously, Russia attempted to cover up a devastating explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-denies-radiation-leak-scandinavia-isotope-rise-2020-6

Chernobyl, part 2?   :chuckle: :-\ :-X
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:40:42 AM »
Russia has a long and turbulent history with nuclear power, including regular attempts to cover up leaks and explosions.
It was accused of failing to disclose an accident at the Mayak nuclear facility in 2017 and of covering up an accident at a nuclear facility in Nyonoksa in August 2019.

Most famously, Russia attempted to cover up a devastating explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-denies-radiation-leak-scandinavia-isotope-rise-2020-6

Except Russia didn't exist in 1986 and if it did, it would have been Ukraine covering stuff up.

Its all in the details, dear media-houses.
OO===[][]===OO

Online AvHdB

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »

Except Russia didn't exist in 1986 and if it did, it would have been Ukraine covering stuff up.

Its all in the details, dear media-houses.

It was the Soviet Union at the time led from the Kremlin in Moscow. It was not something that the authorities in Kiev/Kiev had anything to do with. They though are now stuck with the after effects.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:47:21 AM »

It was the Soviet Union at the time led from the Kremlin in Moscow. It was not something that the authorities in Kiev/Kiev had anything to do with. They though are now stuck with the after effects.
Yes, but the SU isn't Russia.

I also think that Kiev had lots of control despite reporting to Moscow overlords.
Should kiev have wanted to inform the world, they would have.

Who is correct in this regard, I do not know.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Filip

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 02:18:09 AM »
It was a strong fire in Chernobyl forest, moreover Kiev + region were in smoke. It was hard to breathe, most people closed windows for several days, didnt visit street without necessity. We tried to move only by car with closed windows. Radioactive background has increased. Its was one of my dreams to visit Chernobyl area, but not by walk. When the fire stoped, after several days we have ordered helicopter flight to Chernobyl. I wanted to see all zone in one time. Its amazing my friends. Radioactive forest, Radar, Chernobyl, Pripyat dead city and the NPP. It were the difficult emotions inside, it was something between scary and delight, horror and interesting. Its a unique place, my dream had done. I was there. I reccomend to all visit Chernobyl by helicopter, by car, by walk excursion... Its not important. Great place, great memory.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 06:21:54 PM »
While there are numerous threads that deal with Chernobyl, I thought the most recent one was/is best. From the New York Times today.

Viktor Bryukhanov, Blamed for the Chernobyl Disaster, Dies at 85

In charge of the plant in Ukraine, he was held responsible for the world’s worst nuclear-power disaster and imprisoned.

Viktor Bryukhanov, who helped build and manage the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, where a reactor explosion in 1986 released a radioactive dust cloud over Europe and a humbling fog of finger-pointing and political fallout that contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union, died on Oct. 13 in Kiev. He was 85.

His death was announced by a spokesman for the now-closed power plant. After serving five years in prison, Mr. Bryukhanov returned to government service in Ukraine to head the technical department in its Economic Development and Trade Ministry.

He had been treated for Parkinson’s disease and had sustained several strokes since he retired in 2015.But Mr. Bryukhanov disclaimed criminal liability. He attributed the explosion to original design flaws that had been dictated by Moscow, a failure of higher-ups to provide adequate equipment to measure radiation leaks, and bureaucratic red tape that divided responsibility between technocrats and Communist Party apparatchiks.

Nonetheless he was singled out as the chief fall guy, convicted of gross violations of safety regulations and expelled from the party. Sent to a labor camp, he served half his 10-year sentence, and was released after the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

Investigations concluded that faulty protocols in the plant’s design and poorly trained personnel had caused the steam explosion and fires that erupted in the early hours of April 26, 1986, during a flawed safety experiment at the last of the installation’s four reactors. Nonetheless he was singled out as the chief fall guy, convicted of gross violations of safety regulations and expelled from the party. Sent to a labor camp, he served half his 10-year sentence, and was released after the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

Investigations concluded that faulty protocols in the plant’s design and poorly trained personnel had caused the steam explosion and fires that erupted in the early hours of April 26, 1986, during a flawed safety experiment at the last of the installation’s four reactors.

The explosion smashed the reactor’s steel and concrete roof and spewed tons of radioactive rubble half a mile into the air.