The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Leadership during the pandemic  (Read 623 times)

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Leadership during the pandemic
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:20:10 PM »
Interesting article from msn news about leadership during the pandemic.  Here's a small part. 

"The day Prague went into lockdown, U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson told citizens they could continue attending Mass sporting events. Two days earlier, U.S. President Trump said, “We’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

The article mentions how the Czech republic and Eastern Europe has had much fewer cases and deaths than Western Europe and the USA.  The USA now has the most cases and the most deaths worldwide. 

Do you think after this has all passed more or less Russian and Chinese women will want to come to America? 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Leadership during the pandemic
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:01:01 AM »
Interesting article from msn news about leadership during the pandemic.  Here's a small part. 

"The day Prague went into lockdown, U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson told citizens they could continue attending Mass sporting events. Two days earlier, U.S. President Trump said, “We’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

The article mentions how the Czech republic and Eastern Europe has had much fewer cases and deaths than Western Europe and the USA.  The USA now has the most cases and the most deaths worldwide. 

Do you think after this has all passed more or less Russian and Chinese women will want to come to America?

I think already lots have returned to the Motherland already tired of standing in line for 3 hours at the local supermarket.. something most thought only happened in Russia..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:19:40 AM »
...and how have they been doing that, since scheduled and charter flights to the Rodina were stopped at 00:00 on March 27th?

Given the choice of living under UK or current Moscow rules, which would your typical RU lady have chosen...if she had the benefit of hindsight?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 03:41:54 AM »

I think already lots have returned to the Motherland already tired of standing in line for 3 hours at the local supermarket.. something most thought only happened in Russia..
I'm thinking the Netherlands government isn't strict enough, but seeing how population react to even these mild restrictions, any more would cause riots. We're all doomed and fighting Covid pandemie next to a severe case of stupidity.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 07:05:10 AM »
One-track mind here, I think. You are asking a question about leadership in your title and then your real question is about your ability to import some foreign bint. :(

Your ability to find a woman has little to do with what anyone else might do or say and almost everything to do with what you do or say. That's like personal leadership, your own skills, ability to communicate and convince, your own ability to display a package that is of value to another human being.

From what I have seen, several leaders (who are in fact figureheads for large teams) have shown great skill and some have not. All must work within the constraints of their advice and their assessment of the constraints upon their actions. Markje has highlighted one significant issue - the willingness of the populace to go along with constraints upon them. Leaders must sell these constraints to the populace and a good leader, and team, are likely to be better able to get compliance than a poor one.

In my opinion, it is likely that most countries will eventually see similar infection rates over time. The virus is the virus and the numbers are the numbers. All that governments can really do is persuade people to take actions that keep the need for health care within the abilities of the health services to provide appropriate care and within the budget constraints imposed by the relative effectiveness of the underlying national economies.

We will not know the effectiveness in objective terms until much later, in hindsight.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »

There are still plenty of RW who would love nothing more than to find a good man. Where he lives is much less of a factor than the man, but still a consideration. Not sure about the Chinese.

The MOB may be long dead, but the number of RW who would consider a foreigner has increased, if anything. You just will never meet them because they don't advertise themselves and you (as in anyone interested) don't live here.

Coronavirus notwithstanding.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »
Quote from: Omega1982

Lots of people in those parts of the world will never trust their government. Yesterday Ukraine said 83 people died. My MIL, a retired doctor, is living in Ivano Frankivsk and talks to doctors there and in that city alone, there are 70 dead from COVID-19. What the doctors report and what politicians report are two different things. When it's all said and done, the numbers of death reported in many countries will leave you with the impression the countries have superior health care systems and the population have superior immunity systems and life there is virus free.

As far as leadership goes, shut down the country too late, people die, shut down the country too early the economy dies. If Trump shut down the country and economy a year ago, he'd still be criticized for not doing enough to save lives.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Registration