The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Learning 'Russian' - my way .. !  (Read 1829 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Learning 'Russian' - my way .. !
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:23:42 AM »
I'm a fan of Bald and Bankrupt - the British guy who tours the FSUW and( even Cuba)

He speaks Russian' to a level he gets by ..  and some Russians complain about his awful grammar in reviews ..  but has a tip with which I've long followed .. SCREW learning the grammar - the cases - learn vocab

So when someone tells me my Russian is 'awful' ... who gives a .. ? )  I get by ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Learning 'Russian' - my way .. !
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »
Is that what you call natural Russian?  :whist11:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
I have not tried to learn Russian but I still manage to speak to my MIL for more than 10 minutes and most of the time she understands me.

when she was here in the UK she learned the word...."Shut Up"......

One day I was talking to her on skype.... and i was telling her what I did that day.

Clever wife comes in and starts corrected my diabolical Russian.......and I was very surprised to hear my MIL telling my wife.... to "Shut Up" in English and Panila in Russian.......

I am still laughing on the floor........ :ROFL:

I am lucky to know or understand a lot of Russian words because they are the same in Greek.........

Spakona Notse.....

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »
Spakona Notse.....

Bloody Greek accent.  :chuckle:

It’s ”spakoyne nochi”  :)

Moby will be along in a minute, sat with two Russian linguists who will correct our howlers.  :coffeeread:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »

Moby will be along in a minute, sat with two Russian linguists who will correct our howlers.  :coffeeread:

Well, I'd write " spokoino nochi " in translit ... but it's hardly 'correct' as it's <<спокойно ночи>> .. and I needed no-one's help ..

Do you disagree with 'Mr Bald' ?..

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:03 PM »
Spakona Notse.....

Bloody Greek accent.  :chuckle:

It’s "spakoyne nochi"  :)

My MIL understands me...... and who give's a FCUK what the Linguist expert Moby will say..... I just said to her "Dobroe Utro..... Kak vashi dela? Te zeva?

Ask the local expert to translate....... and mY MIL is happy with her son in Law.!
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
I expect she is .. HOW long have you known her and you still refer to her in the formal second person ?

Online Guile

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:32 AM »
all you guys have about a 3 or 4 year old's level of Russian, funny stuff  :ROFL: :ROFL:

Moby stop talking about formal 2nd person you got no clue. I have Russian friends who still use the formal Вы when talking to their parents.

Now if you can open a bank account at a Russian bank without help that would be something. Or pay the utility bill or tell the landlord your internet is down.

Pray tell if you can order an iced cappuccino heavy foam, less sugar, more ice in Russian and then I'll be impressed. I did it every day :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Wiz

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 02:12:19 AM »
I expect she is .. HOW long have you known her and you still refer to her in the formal second person ?

Well I had already predicted your comments and I gave you the answer:

..... and who give's a FCUK what the Linguist expert Moby will say!

Go play with your tu tu.... and the photos of your absent wife!

:sick0012: :evilgrin0002: :fighting0025:

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 03:35:27 AM »
all you guys have about a 3 or 4 year old's level of Russian, funny stuff  :ROFL: :ROFL:
You're being much too generous as I'd put them at about a 2 yrs old level, if that

The guy in the video is partially right, vocabulary is important in any language. BUT, the hardest part is understanding what is said because Russian cases change the sound of the word depending on the case (endings and beginnings of words change), and it will sound different than its base form. Not to mention the speed of the language coming at you, and colloquialisms, slang, etc. His Russian is awful BTW.

Russians, do though, appreciate any attempt to speak their language and would never criticize you to your face if you're butchering it like this is guy is. You know, just like you wouldn't say anything to a sweet dev when she's speaking "wacky" English, even though you basically understand some of what she's saying.

Now if you can open a bank account at a Russian bank without help that would be something. Or pay the utility bill or tell the landlord your internet is down.
Pretty basic stuff, but if a non-native speaker can do this it's certainly an accomplishment.

Pray tell if you can order an iced cappuccino heavy foam, less sugar, more ice in Russian and then I'll be impressed. I did it every day :chuckle: :chuckle:
And therein lies the key - repetition. Speaking, listening to native phrasing (the most important thing to do IMO), and repeating phrases w/vocabulary mixed in its proper tense is much, much better than simply learning Russian words.

So when someone tells me my Russian is 'awful' ... who gives a .. ? )  I get by .
:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: sure you do.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 06:20:44 AM »
Sure...I DO..

I managed to open a bank account on my todd and can even manage to call a call centre from the UK and converse ( enough) in Russian, when there is no English speaking agent on hand.

I quite like to go to the builder's merchants or fruit and veg or meat markets and TRY to to converse / buy what I want...

The worst disaster was new years eve 2005.

I was in Novorossiysk and somehow managed to get a goose instead of a duck...

In THOSE days I was too embarrassed to point out the error.

This 2 year old speaker got a replacement car from Ford Russia when our 9 month old Focus was a lemon....

Mr Bald gets by and his channel has a million plus followers.

As you say, lots of RU speakers appreciate when one tries.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
I quite like to go to the builder's merchants or fruit and veg or meat markets and TRY to to converse / buy what I want...

When I first learned a bit of Russian, and I was visiting wifey when she was my girlfriend, I used to trundle around town alone buying groceries with my dreadful Russian while she was working.

I remember there was once much hilarity in a market when I was trying to buy some chicken fillets, was it koora or kooritsa or something else? They all had a good laugh at me but I got my chicken.

I was in a shoe shop trying to buy some brown shoe polish, I’d forgotten the word for brown (while remembering the words for every other colour in the rainbow). I finally got my shoe polish along with the number of the cute girl who sold it me.

A back up plan I never needed.  :chuckle:

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »

Well, I'd write " spokoino nochi " in translit ... but it's hardly 'correct' as it's <<спокойно ночи>> .. and I needed no-one's help ..

I would write spokoynoy nochi or spokoinoi nochi
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Ангелина1234Т

• Spouses Country: Украина
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »
I don't know how you do it.
Learning Russian is a rather difficult idea. I am glad that you go to your goal and do not back down.