The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Working in Poland??  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Raspberry

Working in Poland??
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »
Noticed that in the case of both myself, and a friend, both knowing ladies that claim they have a "temporary work assignment in Poland". Two different types of jobs....accounting, and domestic help. Are these assignments a common thing??

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Working in Poland??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:44 PM »
Are they from Ukraine? If so the visa rules are way more relaxed than they were, so possibly.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:12:03 AM »
What happens if you become unemployed in Poland ? No social security and what little there is like $5 they will make you beg for it..many years ago I thought about claiming social from Estonia .. topping back every few weeks on the bus from St Petersburg.. was going to say "Im looking for work" They were having none of it.. basically it is impossible for a Brit to claim Social in nearly all the EU..

Another good reason for Brexit..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 04:41:16 AM »
100s of 1000s of Ukrainians have legal jobs in Poland now, so it's possible....but unusual description they have used for non native english speakers

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:07:53 AM »
Are they from Ukraine? If so the visa rules are way more relaxed than they were, so possibly.

They are NOT 'relaxed' re UA citizens working in Schengen nations -  but UA citizens ARE being granted more residency permission than any other non EU nation

As of next year there will be the ETIAS Scheme and even UA Biometric passport holders will need one https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/ukrainians

May be UK passport holders ? ;)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 06:09:21 AM »
I'd read 'temporary work assignment' as being more accurately 'undocumented worker without status'.
Yes, I know that officially there's around a million 'legal' Ukrainians in Poland but the real numbers are way higher and they are not there for the sunshine and beaches!

Most of the legal Ukrainian workers in Poland stay for about 3 or 4 months. It'd be hard to describe such workers, whether legal or not as being on an assignment. Can you imagine a domestic servant being so influential and unique that her services were in demand for short term international duties away from her work in Ukraine? To be honest, the same applies to accounting!

If these women are not from Ukraine but from Belarus or Russia then the chances of them being legal are much, much, lower than if they were Ukrainian.

So, to directly answer your question: No, these assignments are not a common thing. You are almost certainly being misled either by an accident of language or more directly. You might want to ask some friendly but direct questions about what your interlocutor is really up to and remember that gut instinct is very often a good instinct.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:01:50 AM »
remember that gut instinct is very often a good instinct.

Quote of the week material
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
Noticed that in the case of both myself, and a friend, both knowing ladies that claim they have a "temporary work assignment in Poland". Two different types of jobs... accounting, and domestic help.
Are these assignments a common thing??
Therу's even a special term for that type of workers in Ukrainian language - заробитчане...
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
My girl tells me that most of the working age males in her city of Ivona Frankovsk work out of the country. When we walk the streets we see baby carriages pushed by what looks like grand parents or women and no men. The streets are full of shoppers everyday the women are well dressed.  Her cousin's husband does construction work in Poland while she stays at home mother to raise their child and has a second one on the way.  She says next to Poland, the most men work in Italy. My girl does not know of any women working in Poland but I am sure there are a few but rather mostly men who send money home to their wives and family. During my last trip, we spent time with one of her friend that she has known for a long time. The friend is a stay at home mom with a second child on the way. They usually live in Kiev but were taking a snow skiing vacation. Her Husband mainly does exports to Poland and several other EU countries. The coronavirus is worse in this part of the Ukraine than anywhere else from men returning from Italy. 

Poland has replace Russia as the largest trading partner with Ukraine. Russia is second place now but it is expected that Russia will drop to being the fourth largest trading partner with Ukraine in the near future. Also more Ukrainians are working in Poland now than in Russia.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.