The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ukraine Visa requirements for British nationals  (Read 998 times)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Ukraine Visa requirements for British nationals
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:53:00 PM »
Ukraine has confirmed that existing rules for British citizens will continue until 30 January 2021, i.e. that British passport holders can enter Ukraine without a visa for a period up to 90 days within a 180 day period.
What rules will apply after that have not been formulated.
My guess is that Ukraine will follow whatever  visa policy the EU decides to impose (or not) on UK nationals.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Ukraine Visa requirements for British nationals
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:13 AM »
Despite the dis-proportionally high  refusal rates for Ukrainians seeking UK visas - it is clear Ukraine is indeed waiting to see what deals the EU offers the UK .

You see no irony in this ? ;)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:13 AM »
Ukraine has confirmed that existing rules for British citizens will continue until 30 January 2021, i.e. that British passport holders can enter Ukraine without a visa for a period up to 90 days within a 180 day period.
What rules will apply after that have not been formulated.
My guess is that Ukraine will follow whatever  visa policy the EU decides to impose (or not) on UK nationals.

Thanks DS, worth knowing  tiphat
Слава Україні

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:35 AM »
Moby, think for just a moment.
Ukraine has an association agreement with the EU. That agreement covers border and visa protocols. Of course it makes sense for Ukraine to wait and see what the EU does. Ukraine needs to be consistent with EU policy in the matter.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
Moby, think for just a moment.
Ukraine has an association agreement with the EU. That agreement covers border and visa protocols. Of course it makes sense for Ukraine to wait and see what the EU does. Ukraine needs to be consistent with EU policy in the matter.

:laugh:

Is or has the UK ever been in the Schegen zone ?   

Does  / did it matter that the UK's policy re issuing visas to Ukrainians was at variance to  EU members IN Schengen ?

I see YOU don't see any irony, either

There is nothing to stop the Ukraine govt to reciprocate the UK's long stance that Ukraine should be a VISA required nation ...   IF you've been paying attention to noises coming out of Kiev, they're unhappy about the refusal rates from the UK and there was a not insubstantial call to reciprocate and insist UK nationals went back to needing Visas ...

I could certainly understand Kiev so doing .. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
moby, this has nothing to do with the UK's membership or otherwise of the Schengen area. Think for a moment -or stop drinking - or something! It is OK to dislike me, the feeling is mutual, but making yourself look like more of an idiot by trying to find some way to disagree with sensible comments does not reflect well upon you at all!

Ukraine's policies, no matter what they might really want to do, as a junior/associate member of the Schengen area will need to have policies consistent with the EU and the Schengen signatories. That's why they are waiting to see what the EU does.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:16:43 AM »
moby, this has nothing to do with the UK's membership or otherwise of the Schengen area.

Daft point #1 .. IF the UK was a member of Schengen - would a Ukrainian bio-metric passport holder  NEED a visa ?  ..

The UK not being in Schengen absolutely makes  Schengen nation's policy re UA  ,irrelevant

[multiple paragraphs of insults and trolling removed - yawn]

Ukraine's policies, no matter what they might really want to do, as a junior/associate member of the Schengen area will need to have policies consistent with the EU and the Schengen signatories. That's why they are waiting to see what the EU does.

Unless you've suddenly stopped reading the UA press on matters appertaining to govt policy - there was a serious discussion as to whether the UK's continued high visa application rejection rate should mean that - irrespective of the UK's EU status -  that a visa requirement should be reciprocated ..