The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Lost luggage  (Read 952 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Lost luggage
« on: January 13, 2020, 09:22:31 PM »
I took a trip four months ago and the airline lost my luggage.  I was given $400 by the airline and $880 from my travel insurance. 

Now, four months later the airline calls me (local number) to tell me my luggage has been found. 

My question is, if I go to the airport and take my luggage will the airline and the travel insurance demand I return the claim money? 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Lost luggage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
The insurance company won't know as nobody will tell them.

The airline might do, however for $400 that is $100 a month for your inconvenience, so I'd resist if asked for that. Because you already spent the money replacing the goods, etc.

Plus, what they are returning may be damaged or incomplete.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Lost luggage
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:51:23 AM »
You've already suffered the loss. The insurance company made a settlement of the loss. Finding your stuff only, at best, unwinds a part of the loss.

The money from the airline was to enable you to recover from the immediate loss - to buy new underpants and toothbrush. Its not part of finding your stuff. It was 'survival money'.

I'd say nothing. Nobody's going to want to chase you for such a piffling sum.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!