The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Anyone ever been to Croatia? What did you think?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Anyone ever been to Croatia? What did you think?
« on: December 17, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »
Has anyone ever visited Croatia? Specifically Split or Dubrovnyk? I have a plutonic female friend who has been there a handful of times. She told me more than once that the women are beautiful and that I should go, knowing that I struggle in this area of my life. So does she for that matter.

It looks like the weather is pretty nice on the coast. And by nice I don't mean hot summers and little rainfall. In fact at first glance it's warmer than I'd like. It appears that the record high in Split is 101 F. That's about the same as where I live now, but more moderate winters, with snowfall being somewhat rare.

Anyone have any trip reports from there or have you ever dated a Croatian woman?

Another plus appears to be that the alphabet is the same as mine. Looks like you can buy a tiny house within 30m of the shoreline for 100K euros, if you're into that sort of thing.

Kinda looks like poor man's Italy.   
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Anyone ever been to Croatia? What did you think?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
I spent some time in both Croatia and Montenegro next door this past September.
Croatia is a beautiful place, that is "heaving" in season, when the prices go through the roof. (I'm not sure I would call it a Poor man's Italy at all, as I know plenty of rural, south coast Italian towns I would consider cheaper than the well known towns of Croatia). Croatia is now part of the EU, with the good and bad that that entails.
I loved the southern coast and islands during the summer, but have no knowledge of how much things shut down in winter.
Dubrovnik is an amazing town, and I happily went back a second time after my trip down through Montenegro.
I was lucky enough to find a terrific AirBnB, just a few hundred metres outside the walls of the old city. The owner was amazing, and we became good friends and drinking buddies, of course it helped he was in love with my companion! lol
My trip through Montenegro was about considering it as a place to live.
Residency is easy with the purchase of a home/apartment. Things are cheaper than Croatia, but standards are lower, soviet style. Lots more Russians in Montenegro, but english is spoken in the tourist towns like Budva and Kotor etc. I found more sand beaches in Montenegro than in Croatia. The scenery is amazing, and it's fantastic for sailing and boating in general. Plenty of "super yachts" in residence. Abrovimich's cruise ship was parked offshore, but not sure if he was about or not, as I did not see too many movements from it. The Traffic is horrendous as most roads are single lanes winding around the mountains where it is very difficult to pass safely. One bad accident can shut down all movement for hours, as there are not too many other options.
Lots of Russian girls are on holidays in Montenegro if that floats your boat, Budva especially.
International airport between Budva and Kotor means easy connections to Europe, but obviously there are more options if you drive back to Dubrovnik across the border.
I wish I had pushed on further south and checked out Albania also. I plan to go there next summer

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
I've been there in 2018. Makarska and Baska Voda. I avoided high season and the crowded bits.

Yes, similar to Italy in some ways (cleaner than much of Italy I'd say). Crystal clear sea, very clean place, nice people. Some of the women are easy on the eye (if you dig dark hair and the strong features many have) but they're not Slavic.

I'd go again. There's worse places to spend time in.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 02:47:09 PM »
Croatia is indeed beautiful.

As indicated above the cruising along the coast spectacular and not so difficult as compared to the Pacific NorthWest or the North Sea. The white wines are delicious and if you enjoy seafood than the food is quite edible. Because a fair bit of the economy is tourist based the locals tend to be polite and helpful. There is some limited manufacturing and the roads that I have been on, mostly coastal quite good. N. Tesla is sometimes considered a Croat.

For what it is worth Yugoslavia means Southern Slavic and there are those that refer to the original settlers as the White Slavs. Whether you are Muslim, Orthodox Christian or Catholic it seems you came from the same gene pool some +/- 1,500 years ago. There are others who discount this theory. What religion you adopted had more to do with who was the victor. The history is fascinating and architecture at times amazing.

While I dated a Croat girl I would not say she was drop dead gorgeous nor were her friends and class mates. It is a some what paternal society and some tend to be more Catholic than the Pope. While I never fully understood what Pops did during the 'divorce' I was told he had an explosive temper.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
The white wines are delicious and if you enjoy seafood than the food is quite edible.

Like most Russian women, my wife is obsessed with seafood. She loved it there. I am not big into seafood but am a white wine fan, and yes, I found a few I liked.  :nod:

A few photos from there in no particular order....

ila_rendered

I'd be happy to spend a couple of months there. Maybe more if a business opportunity (or a woman as a single bloke) caught my interest. Its not an unhappy place to be.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:30:06 AM »
Lovely place,

It is on our list of possible places to reside in later years
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies. Maybe I'll go in the late Spring. Manny, your wife is hot, if I can say that
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 02:22:05 AM »
BTW

As we are seriously considering a life there..

I was interested to see if SC would cope..

We did this test, together..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Valenki

• Spouses Country: Czecho-SLOVAKIA
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:22:27 PM »
Has anyone ever visited Croatia? Specifically Split or Dubrovnyk? I have a plutonic female friend who has been there a handful of times. She told me more than once that the women are beautiful and that I should go, knowing that I struggle in this area of my life. So does she for that matter.

It looks like the weather is pretty nice on the coast. And by nice I don't mean hot summers and little rainfall. In fact at first glance it's warmer than I'd like. It appears that the record high in Split is 101 F. That's about the same as where I live now, but more moderate winters, with snowfall being somewhat rare.

Anyone have any trip reports from there or have you ever dated a Croatian woman?

Another plus appears to be that the alphabet is the same as mine. Looks like you can buy a tiny house within 30m of the shoreline for 100K euros, if you're into that sort of thing.

I have been to Dubrovnik and only through Split but it was during Tito's time. It was beautiful then and according to charter travellers it still is. I met a girl in Dubrovnik who decided to take me to her favourite bathing spot by ferry to one of the islands. She didn't tell me it was a nudist beach. I'm not a nudist myself so it was an embarrassing situation.
Free The Peoples Republics of Lugansk and Donetsk!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »

I have been to Dubrovnik and only through Split but it was during Tito's time. It was beautiful then and according to charter travellers it still is. I met a girl in Dubrovnik who decided to take me to her favourite bathing spot by ferry to one of the islands. She didn't tell me it was a nudist beach. I'm not a nudist myself so it was an embarrassing situation.

:ROFL:      :ROFL:       :ROFL:

Offline dorbradavid

• Professor and Sailor
  • Spouses Country: United States
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 09:02:41 AM »

I was stationed in Sarajevo (really Illezia - a suburb) with SFOR in the late 90's. I used to travel to Croatia all the time. It's really beautiful, Split, Dubrovnic, and esp. Medagorjie (the religious site). I highly recommend a visit. Read Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts" before your go. Note tha tthe local are touchy about visitors using "Russian".  ;D
Dobra David

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 03:09:30 PM »
Read Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts" before your go.

Thanks for this recommendation... just bought a copy. ~ Doug
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Registration