The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Things That I Do Not Understand: Have they changed much?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Valenki

• Spouses Country: Czecho-SLOVAKIA
  • Trips: 20+
Things That I Do Not Understand: Have they changed much?
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
The majority of my travels within the Eastern block were during the Cold War. What with no flashing signs it was difficult to find places to eat and when you did there wasn't much to choose from. One day in Leningrad I decided to eat at the restaurant in my hotel. I wanted to try something on the “meat” ledger but they only had fish that particular day. I shared a table with a Georgian who recommended the wine from his country and slandered everything else so I had no choice but to have a glass of his plonk and exclaim how wonderful it was. The only country that had anything decent (and abundant) to eat was Hungary as far as I was concerned.

Then there were (are still) the odd things like paying extra for microscopic splash of mustard or a sugar cube and needing to argue in order to get a napkin.
Free The Peoples Republics of Lugansk and Donetsk!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Things That I Do Not Understand: Have they changed much?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »
. I shared a table with a Georgian who recommended the wine from his country and slandered everything else so I had no choice but to have a glass of his plonk and exclaim how wonderful it was.

Then there were (are still) the odd things like paying extra for microscopic splash of mustard or a sugar cube and needing to argue in order to get a napkin.

I'm not a wine expert but the best wine I ever tasted was Georgian and it was in a Georgian restaurant in Kiev. Napkins are like toilet paper. Valuable stuff. There was a time one couldn't find toilet paper in bathrooms. The bathroom attendant may sell it though. I knew a guy who studied in Russia in the 80's. He carried toilet paper on him at all times and gave that recommendation to me when I first visited the FSU in the mid 2000's. I carried toilet paper but sometimes the toilet was missing. In Uzbekistan, it wasn't unusual to piss and poo in a hole in the floor. It's important to squat properly to achieve good aim.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Valenki

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Napkins are like toilet paper. Valuable stuff. There was a time one couldn't find toilet paper in bathrooms. The bathroom attendant may sell it though. I knew a guy who studied in Russia in the 80's. He carried toilet paper on him at all times and gave that recommendation to me when I first visited the FSU in the mid 2000's. I carried toilet paper but sometimes the toilet was missing. In Uzbekistan, it wasn't unusual to piss and poo in a hole in the floor. It's important to squat properly to achieve good aim.
All true! In such cases, it's the babushka - and a few kopeks - who's your best friend.

I'm not a wine expert but the best wine I ever tasted was Georgian and it was in a Georgian restaurant in Kiev.
As it turns out it is Moldova (Rep.) that produces the best wine I have ever tasted but I didn't know that until my visit there about 4 years ago.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Napkins are like toilet paper. Valuable stuff. There was a time one couldn't find toilet paper in bathrooms. The bathroom attendant may sell it though. I knew a guy who studied in Russia in the 80's. He carried toilet paper on him at all times and gave that recommendation to me when I first visited the FSU in the mid 2000's. I carried toilet paper but sometimes the toilet was missing. In Uzbekistan, it wasn't unusual to piss and poo in a hole in the floor. It's important to squat properly to achieve good aim.
All true! In such cases, it's the babushka - and a few kopeks - who's your best friend.

I'm not a wine expert but the best wine I ever tasted was Georgian and it was in a Georgian restaurant in Kiev.
As it turns out it is Moldova (Rep.) that produces the best wine I have ever tasted but I didn't know that until my visit there about 4 years ago.

Certainly I have enjoyed good wine from Moldavia, but the red Georgian (country) wine is more nuanced and consistent. Another country with some very good wine is Hungary.

Certainly on the white wine side Croatia wins hands down.

My impression is every country is trying to improve there quality because the market for nasty & cheap plonk is shrinking. The moderator Chris if he wishes can provide more details and opinions.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »
Service in restaurants...my recent experience is with two FSU cities who have occasions that bring in foreigners.

It's getting better, overall.
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Valenki

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »

Certainly I have enjoyed good wine from Moldavia, but the red Georgian (country) wine is more nuanced and consistent. Another country with some very good wine is Hungary.

Certainly on the white wine side Croatia wins hands down.

My impression is every country is trying to improve there quality because the market for nasty & cheap plonk is shrinking. The moderator Chris if he wishes can provide more details and opinions.

Sorry about the late response. I still do not know how to use the notification features of the forum.
I know nothing about Croatian wine. I'll have to seek it out. I do know that I dislike Hungarian Tokaj. It tastes like a spoonful of sugar dipped in honey.

Offline Valenki

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »
Service in restaurants...my recent experience is with two FSU cities who have occasions that bring in foreigners.

It's getting better, overall.
Good to hear that. "Getting better" is definitely needed.  :nod:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 06:50:14 AM »
When I was in Moldova, a long time ago, I met a woman who worked for one of the largest wine exporters - Cricova.

She told me that the biggest market for their wine was the RF, but that they would only buy cheap wine.
The good quality wine was somewhat discouraged given the difficulty of selling it. Making the problem worse was the effectively closed EU; a nearby market that blocked much of their marketing efforts.

I do not count myself a connoisseur, but I can say that Moldova produces some very lovely wines. One unusual drink is sparkling red wine - not at all like the rose sparklers that come from Spain.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Valenki

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:26:12 AM »
When I was in Moldova, a long time ago, I met a woman who worked for one of the largest wine exporters - Cricova.
You lucky bugger!

She told me that the biggest market for their wine was the RF, but that they would only buy cheap wine.
The good quality wine was somewhat discouraged given the difficulty of selling it. Making the problem worse was the effectively closed EU; a nearby market that blocked much of their marketing efforts.

I do not count myself a connoisseur, but I can say that Moldova produces some very lovely wines. One unusual drink is sparkling red wine - not at all like the rose sparklers that come from Spain.
Yes, the reasonably-priced bottle that I bought in Chisinau was a real find and it was a mistake! I picked it off the shelf of a supermarket and as the glass was dark I assumed it was red wine (the only wine I drink) but when I got back home and pulled the corked I was terribly dismayed to find that it was actually white wine. But then I tasted it ... my God! I'm not a connoisseur either but I do know what I like and that was the best I've ever tasted.  :saint:

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »

Same in North Korea. You only get a third of a roll in your hotel room and occasionally they are hand wrapped from leftover scraps. good luck with trying to get an extra one out of the cleaning women.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
It's been ten years but I've ran into these type of toilets many times
in Ukraine. From a Pizza parlor in Dnepropetrovsk.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online Guile

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
Those squat toilets are common in China and South Korea..used em plenty of times hahahha  Did they let you check out the DMZ from North Korea?  I was there from the South side.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »
I think the food is pretty good.

One thing that I like is that their vegetables are generally fresher and
that they often times make the juice directly from fresh fruit in the
restaurant.

I LOVE Georgian food, it's often zesty and spicy. Khinkali, lobia, and
several types of khachapuri but my favorite is anything with Tkamali
sauce any type of Mtsvadi (it's sashlyk in Russia) is usually pretty good.

For Russian and Ukrainian I like pelmeni, blini which are little crepe
type pancakes with all sorts of wonders wrapped inside. The sour
cream in the FSU is tastier than in the USA. My wife makes the
best Shuba and I request it several times per year.

I love
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Valenki

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »

Same in North Korea. You only get a third of a roll in your hotel room and occasionally they are hand wrapped from leftover scraps. good luck with trying to get an extra one out of the cleaning women.
Another very good reason to smile and show respect fo the babushka sitting at the top of the stairs.

Offline Valenki

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
It's been ten years but I've ran into these type of toilets many times
in Ukraine. From a Pizza parlor in Dnepropetrovsk.

They are found all through Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Asia. I can even remember a time when they were common in Spain and Portugal. Anyway, the ones in Arab countries have a spigot & bucket (rather than toilette paper) on the left side with which to wet your fingers (of the left hand only) and smear your back-side crack until you are satisfied with the results.

Offline Valenki

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
I think the food is pretty good.

One thing that I like is that their vegetables are generally fresher and
that they often times make the juice directly from fresh fruit in the
restaurant.

I LOVE Georgian food, it's often zesty and spicy. Khinkali, lobia, and
several types of khachapuri but my favorite is anything with Tkamali
sauce any type of Mtsvadi (it's sashlyk in Russia) is usually pretty good.

For Russian and Ukrainian I like pelmeni, blini which are little crepe
type pancakes with all sorts of wonders wrapped inside. The sour
cream in the FSU is tastier than in the USA. My wife makes the
best Shuba and I request it several times per year.

I love
Now I am hungry!  :THUB:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 11:00:22 PM »
Beel,

Are you such your Georgian 'Lobia' aren't Lobiani..?)

The former sounds-lip smackingly appealing ...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Valenki

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 05:03:09 AM »
Beel,

You naughty boy.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Beel,

Both are tasty

Lobiani is

Lobio is literally the word for beans, but they have a national dish
made from red beans and spices also called Lobio. I misspelled it
previously when I wrote lobia

Lobio

Lobio Tkemali is to die for. You dip Georgian bread into it. I imagine it would be good
with chips but never tried it that way.