The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Advice about krasnoyarsk  (Read 1580 times)

Offline daniel60sd

Advice about krasnoyarsk
« on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
I am a tourist thinking of visiting Krasnoyarsk. I have used google for information and have found contradictory information about safety for tourists. For example the risk is meant to be low in some ways, however it also states that the risk to tourists during the day can be quite high. I would appreciate it if anyone can shed any further light on this. Any  information or advice would be helpful.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Advice about krasnoyarsk
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
I am a tourist thinking of visiting Krasnoyarsk. I have used google for information and have found contradictory information about safety for tourists. For example the risk is meant to be low in some ways, however it also states that the risk to tourists during the day can be quite high. I would appreciate it if anyone can shed any further light on this. Any  information or advice would be helpful.

Daniel welcome to RUA. Krasoyarsk features in I. Frazier's "Travels in Siberia" written in the beggining of this century.  I quote some of the passages:

Our passage through this almost-dead zone heightened the surprise a few hours later when we reached the river city of Krasnoyarsk. The name—from krasnyi, “red,” and yar, “cliff”—refers to the red cliffs near the city, which give the landscape with its broad valley a slightly out-of-context look, as if this place might be in eastern Wyoming or South Africa. The city occupies a prominence above the Yenisei River just upstream from where a series of mountainous, tree-covered cliffs along both sides of the river suddenly descend to level ground. Chekhov judged Krasnoyarsk the most beautiful city in Siberia, and he was right, from what I’d seen. Many buildings in the city center were from the later nineteenth century, and in a style of brickwork done decoratively, almost whimsically. Recent renovations had emphasized a color scheme perhaps based on the earth-toned reds of the Yenisei cliffs, and with white or light-blue trim for intensity. The downtown boutiques, restaurants, clothing stores, and galleries called to mind shopping districts in any of a thousand gentrified antique-ish towns and small cities in America. And although a line of storefronts bearing the logos of Wrangler and Reebok and Benetton and Nike would not gladden me if I encountered it in New Jersey, seeing it in Siberia did, somehow.

As for the safety I suspect if you want to find trouble it will not be too difficult. Like any large city common sense can be useful when travelling.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »
Try to blend in, don't attract too much attention and take common sense precautions you'd take everywhere with your personal belongings such as passport, money, phone etc.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:29:40 PM »
For example the risk is meant to be low in some ways, however it also states that the risk to tourists during the day can be quite high.

Everybody on this forum who went to the FSU is still alive. That's the good news. Some of us have been robbed. Sh!t happens in the FSU more than at home for most of us. Chances are good everything will be fine so have a good time with the woman you plan to meet. Get to know her before visiting her of course. One guy on the forums got beat up by the boyfriend of the girl he went to visit and then robbed.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
I haven't been to K'yarsk for 3 years.

It is cold in winter, the river Yenisey doesn't freeze anymore because of the BIG  hydro dam that now dams the 'Krasnoyarsk Sea'.

The models agencies make a beeline for young lasses from there.

They play Rugby there ..well ..and have now got two teams...Krasno Yar make up a fair proportion of the national Rugby team.

Far better hunting ground than Ukraine....

I do not try to blend in and survived.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
The only risk is falling in love and not wanting to come back home :) 

Siberia is a magnificent place to visit. 

I've been there three times.