The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Mosquitoes in Odessa and other cities?  (Read 3725 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Mosquitoes in Odessa and other cities?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 04:12:55 AM »
In writing the following, I am excluding locations where mosquitoes are in huge visible clouds, but, in general, I find that when I move to an area with mosquitoes that initially they are a problem. I get bitten and I itch a lot.

After a couple of weeks, I don't notice them and don't seem to get bitten very much. Also, one does not notice the local folks having great problems with them.

I used to be a big buyer of various creams and potions to reduce the itchy and bumps from bites until I found the best treatment. The main ingredient is also a common material in the various after-bite treatments.

I buy a bottle of household ammonia. Use cotton wool or tissue paper. Moisten the material with the ammonia and rub it into the bite. The ammonia, apparently, has the effect of neutralizing the protein injected by bitey things and removing the itch and bump. This works best if applied just after being bitten because the ammonia can enter the bite before it closes up. You get a brief stinging sensation and a few minutes later - bite is gone. If applied later, it seems to work best after a good scratching session because the skin has been broken slightly by your scratching. It does work without scratching but is not so fast and needs more sessions with the ammonia.

You can make your own version of the pen-type afterbite treatments using alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Open up the sanitizer bottle and ditch about 1/3 to 1/2 the content. Refill the container with neat household ammonia, the job's done. Now you have a less messy, slightly less stinky, afterbite treatment that also sanitizes the bite. The alcohol has a nice cooling effect and the cost is minimal. Sanitizer costs €1 or less and the ammonia is about nothing per liter. Price of a pen-type afterbite treatment is usually in excess of €10.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 06:29:04 AM »
There are a fair few mosquitos in St Petersburg during the summer, the cat is a fully trained Transnistrian  mosquito killer, so do not get many in the apartment..

As for the rest flying around and bitting always seem to go for the legs.. I do not take any notice of it.. I have the view that is you cannot take a few mosquito bites how the hell would you survive in an apocalyptic situation ? Or what about if you had to make your way through the Jungle ?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
I have the view that is you cannot take a few mosquito bites how the hell would you survive in an apocalyptic situation ?

haha I try to tell myself that I'm prepared for the apocalypse as well. I think my math teaching experience won't be much help then!
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast