The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Anyone want to go to Ukraine over Thanksgiving or Christmas?  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Anyone want to go to Ukraine over Thanksgiving or Christmas?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
what justdude needs is not a wingman. but someone who speaks Russian, knows the places in Ukraine or Russia and can introduce him to local social circles.

A wingman may help a guy get his foot in the door with a woman but after that, it's up to the guy to keep her.

Justadude needs to find a woman that is as unique as he is. One example of his uniqueness is that he's a vegetarian and most women aren't. He needs to find a vegetarian. Most people won't understand their partner being a vegetarian. I wouldn't marry one. To me, we need to consume life to live whether it's an animal or plant. I don't place animals on a higher level than plants when it comes to my food. I don't discriminate. Vegetarians discriminate.

He likely will never be able to commit to marriage.

He should consider sponsoring a woman, or just paying for her to be on vacation with him. There would probably be plenty of opportunities but without deceiving a woman that he will marry her and then all the awkwardness which goes along with that when he backs out.

Offline Guile

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
yeah justdude needs to figure out why exactly he isn't satisfied. another fiancee isn't the answer. his strict vegetarianism could be an issue. I ain't no Freud but something deeper is going on.

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »

He should consider sponsoring a woman, or just paying for her to be on vacation with him. There would probably be plenty of opportunities but without deceiving a woman that he will marry her and then all the awkwardness which goes along with that when he backs out.

I'm interested in that sort of thing. What's the best way to make that sort of arrangement? Whenever I ask for ideas on how to pull that off, I just get laughed at and told, "it's so easy", but so far no one has been able to tell me how to do it.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline justadude

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
yeah justdude needs to figure out why exactly he isn't satisfied. another fiancee isn't the answer. his strict vegetarianism could be an issue. I ain't no Freud but something deeper is going on.

Agreed. By the way, Guile, another member gave me an email address for you. I sent you a message but didn't hear back.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline justadude

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
what justdude needs is not a wingman. but someone who speaks Russian, knows the places in Ukraine or Russia and can introduce him to local social circles.

He needs to hire a local guide and pay him. 
I'm interested in that. How do I find a guy like that?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 08:59:12 PM »

He needs to hire a local guide and pay him. 
I'm interested in that. How do I find a guy like that?

Look for on RUA a poster named Stirlitz, he can be be your wingman.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Guile

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 02:58:28 AM »

Agreed. By the way, Guile, another member gave me an email address for you. I sent you a message but didn't hear back.

hey I just got your message. I rarely check that e-mail but will stay in touch there.

Well for a local guide try the expat groups on social media sites in the city you want to go to.
Didn't you teach English for a few months in Ukraine?  I just do what normal expats do, go to events and get togethers.

Figure out which cities you want to go to. have you considered Russia? you need a visa but Americans can get a 3 year tourist visa. If you got some funds the best way is to go there for 2 or 3 months and really meet people normally. a 10 day trip ending in a proposal doesn't usually end well as you know.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

I sent you both emails the other day.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:14 AM »
Wouldn't a vegetarian find it hard travelling around Russia in flip flops and trousers hanging around their knees?

I mean vegetarians don't wear leather shoes or wear belts do they?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Wouldn't a vegetarian find it hard travelling around Russia in flip flops and trousers hanging around their knees?

Very Funny!  My late father in fact travelled throughout the USA and Canada from the Dirty 30's up to the mid 1990's when he died in his late eighties.  Yes he was a Vegetarian throughout his life, wore shoes and belts without difficulty.  So this should not be a problem to Dude also.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »
As to Holidays the USA Thanksgiving is over a month later than ours and then Western and Eastern Christmases are also sometime apart.  So unlikely we would meet up even if we did travel to see the In-Laws etc.  So will leave it up to others to consider Dude's offer.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 01:25:24 PM »

Very Funny!  My late father in fact travelled throughout the USA and Canada from the Dirty 30's up to the mid 1990's when he died in his late eighties.  Yes he was a Vegetarian throughout his life, wore shoes and belts without difficulty.  So this should not be a problem to Dude also.

No problem with that.. it just means a vegetarian of convenience ...

It's  like I do not believe in war.. but maybe tonight I might just pop out and murder some one..

Same sort of thing really  ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Vegans - no leather shoes, no meat
Vegetarians - leather shoes, no meat
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »

Careful what your says cos next thing they will be calling you racist..

Offline justadude

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »

I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I guess. I wear Doc Martins and leather belts. Not much of a flip flopper, I don't seem to be coordinated enough to keep them under my feet.

Offline justadude

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »

I got one from you with Guile's email address. Did you send another one after that?

Offline justadude

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
Well for a local guide try the expat groups on social media sites in the city you want to go to.
Didn't you teach English for a few months in Ukraine?  I just do what normal expats do, go to events and get togethers.

Figure out which cities you want to go to. have you considered Russia? you need a visa but Americans can get a 3 year tourist visa. If you got some funds the best way is to go there for 2 or 3 months and really meet people normally. a 10 day trip ending in a proposal doesn't usually end well as you know.
I did find a guy living in country on an English speaking FB group. We messaged for a few days. But it wasn't for expats. I'll try that. I did join an expat group when I was in Kiev for 7 weeks in 17. I met up with a few guys but it didn't seem to click. I didn't think of that in this context.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 03:12:03 AM »

Careful what your says cos next thing they will be calling you racist..

No, surely not. Are vegans and vegetarians different races to humans?

Given the prevalent paradigm in the Land of The Free, I could understand vegans and veggies being regarded as new genders, to add to the ever-growing list of genders unique to the USA. But not races, please god no!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »

I got one from you with Guile's email address. Did you send another one after that?

That was it, I sent him one with yours too.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline justadude

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
So far it looks like one guy will be joining me and there is another maybe. I didn't meet both of them on this site by the way. If anyone else is interested send me a PM.

Offline Guile

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »
So far it looks like one guy will be joining me and there is another maybe. I didn't meet both of them on this site by the way. If anyone else is interested send me a PM.

cool dude, hope it works out!

Offline justadude

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
Here I go again. I bought a plane ticket to Ukraine for mid December. I got a premium economy seat on Lufthansa, my favorite airline. I've rented a car and plan to visit at least 3 different cities. So far there's still me and one other guy planning to go. If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2019, 01:25:30 AM »
Here I go again. I bought a plane ticket to Ukraine for mid December. I got a premium economy seat on Lufthansa, my favorite airline. I've rented a car and plan to visit at least 3 different cities. So far there's still me and one other guy planning to go. If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

Why are you so fixated on Ukrainian women?
I’ve had the pleasure of meeting you and you’re a nice guy, an articulate, intelligent person.
So I don’t get why you appear so desperate to find a woman from that part of the world, given your past experiences.
You don’t seem to have learnt any lessons and are simply repeating your past at some considerable cost.
That cost, unfortunately, well may be borne by another person.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2019, 05:51:40 AM »

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting you and you’re a nice guy, an articulate, intelligent person.
So I don’t get why you appear so desperate to find a woman from that part of the world, given your past experiences.
You don’t seem to have learnt any lessons and are simply repeating your past at some considerable cost.

Likewise we have met in Kiev.

It really is a question have you learned from your mistakes?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline justadude

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »

All good questions. And thank you for the compliments. I thought the same of you.

Why keep going back? I think I have had an above average run of dating/marrying attractive women in the US, and as I've aged, women who are quite a bit younger. Nevertheless, I am not 1/10th as successful as I want to be. There is no guarantee that I'll do better in Ukraine than I will do here. In fact, I spent a few pretty miserable and lonely weeks in Kiev in 2017.

However, I still cling to the notions that Ukrainian women are among the most attractive on the whole, among the most willing to accept a significant age gap, and among the most open about wanting to be with a man.

I can see why you would use the word desperate. Maybe I am but I don't see myself that way. But I do need some sort of constant challenge in my life. A reason to get up in the morning, besides my job as a teacher, which is still really fun but not a big challenge.

I've embarked on a new career, one that I might possibly be able to practice in another country. If I live in a place like Ukraine I wouldn't need any income from that, but I still need something to do.

My latest idea is to make this scouting trip to Western and Southern Ukraine this winter, look for real estate and look into buying a hospitality or some other business, and to try to meet womenses, of course. Depending on how things go I might make another trip back next summer, rent for a while, and later  buy a place and relocate. There is a long way to go between where I am now and relocating but it's fun to dream, I am not spending beyond what I can afford, and it gives me something to do.

Arie, I think I've learned something from my mistakes. I don't see myself ever bringing a woman to the US again on a fiancé visa or a marriage visa. Beyond that I suppose my latest dreams are evidence to the contrary.