The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Met a Russian woman in the US who met her ex-husband on a tour  (Read 4072 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Last weekend I had coffee with a woman living in my town here in the Western US. She was born in Russia and lived there until about 10 years ago. She met her husband while he was on a "A Foreign Affair" style tour. I don't know if it actually was that agency and she couldn't recall because it was so long ago. I think it was a fairly civil union although she did say that his alcohol addiction contributed to the failure of the relationship. She came to the US on a fiancé visa along with her daughter, who is now 18 I think.

It's obviously an isolated data point but I just thought it was interesting. She said she was there with 300 women and there were a couple handfuls  of western men (maybe 20 or so?).

Her summary of how their relationship came to be was that he had come with the intention of meeting a future bride and she was intent on finding a husband. She had heard about the event from a gf who invited her along. I don't know if she attended any other social events or any other tours.

She indicated that many if not most of the women who were there were fairly seriously looking for a husband. She is from a satellite or village sort of near (by vast Russian distance standards) St. Petersburg.

So I just thought it was interesting. It piqued my interest enough to do some searching for real testimonials but they seem pretty hard to find as loveme.com seems to flood the internet with very biased "testimonials"
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Online Guile

Re: Met a Russian woman in the US who met her ex-husband on a tour
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »
how old was the woman and guy when they married?  I think this tour stuff is all but over in Russia.

Offline Mr strange

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 07:25:56 AM »
Do tour offers promise you will find the one? No you get the change of the socials and everything arranged for you.

As far as you being the man and how you approach dating in the Russia/Ukraine is not included in that price. Most 98% go just on that and will get their moneys worth while maybe 2% are creative thinkers and study Russain/Ukraine dating methods, culture + the language prior to be going. What do they really want in you and how do you know? How to act and so forth.

Still most men wants girls under 30 regardless their age which makes the tour an expensive lesson to learn

So the odds of succes is very low due the above factors and some good reasons for why testamonials are not worth reading as such a tour can not guarantee you will find the one! If the tour arrangements are crap then its different but otherwise they would not be in business.

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »
how old was the woman and guy when they married?  I think this tour stuff is all but over in Russia.

The woman is 45 now. She indicated that her and her ex were fairly close in age. And I agree that 2019 is not the same as 2009. I saw a tour in Kiev when I was there teaching English. I remember thinking the guys looked even more pathetic than me, but there were some dudes that looked like they had something to offer
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
It is a fact that tours have always yielded some marriages.

You are putting two groups of people who ostensibly want the same thing together so something is bound to happen occasionally. That the marriage lasted a decade or so suggests something must have been alright and the resultant breakup is unlikely to be because of anything cultural.

That said, the points Mr Strange touch on above are also true. Men who go on tours are probably the ones most likely not to have learned anything about the culture, or any language, or indeed those not comfortable with their local women. The blokes likely to fail in fact.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Men who go on tours are just treated as laughing stock by the women and the operators..

When your sat down the women are just laughing at you.. most are married already and just paid to go to the event... and even more so today.. Im not even sure if they do those tours to Russia today.. any in Ukraine your wasting your money!!

Situation even worse if you hire translators.. conversations go some thing like this:

Women to translator : Where the hell did you get this idiot from?

Translator to women: Just smile and look interested will get shot of the idiot soon!

Man to translator : Does she like me?

Translator to women: He asks if you like him  :ROFL:

Women to translator: ****** idiot get rid of him

Translator to man: She thinks your sweet

If you don't want to look a complete idiot DO NOT go on a tour.. yes Im sure out of about 100,000 meetings 1/2 men get married and that was a few years back even less now chuck in the fact that even less women are interested in marrying a foreigner you can see why many of these operators just pay students and married women to arrive and look interested..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
Men who go on tours are just treated as laughing stock by the women and the operators..

When your sat down the women are just laughing at you.. most are married already and just paid to go to the event... and even more so today.. Im not even sure if they do those tours to Russia today.. any in Ukraine your wasting your money!!

Situation even worse if you hire translators.. conversations go some thing like this:

Translator to women: Just smile and look interested will get shot of the idiot soon!

If you don't want to look a complete idiot DO NOT go on a tour.. yes Im sure out of about 100,000 meetings 1/2 men get married and that was a few years back even less now chuck in the fact that even less women are interested in marrying a foreigner you can see why many of these operators just pay students and married women to arrive and look interested..

In my adventure I arrived in Nikolayev as a tour was departing. The men were saddening, though I understood one man was planning on going on a vacation with 'his' woman in Mexico.

Really the reality is close to what Steve describes, though I disagree about not using a wingman. As the last group was departing the hotel staff was happy, because of the tips and good riddance of the clueless lot of bride seekers. Yes they were mocked and ridiculed & with good reason.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Brian275

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 05:27:23 PM »

In my adventure I arrived in Nikolayev as a tour was departing. The men were saddening, though I understood one man was planning on going on a vacation with 'his' woman in Mexico.

Really the reality is close to what Steve describes, though I disagree about not using a wingman. As the last group was departing the hotel staff was happy, because of the tips and good riddance of the clueless lot of bride seekers. Yes they were mocked and ridiculed & with good reason.

I saw a video of such an event on You Tube a while back. Most of the men looked either awful or were socially awkward. Often times both. I can imagine there are so much better ways to meet a local woman. Well, unless you are a great catch and you really stand out among everyone else!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 03:35:10 AM »
I expect - having seen the blokes on such tours - that a relatively normal, handsome, guy would have pulled, easily ..
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic