The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Married my dream wife- my story  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Married my dream wife- my story
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 12:52:42 PM »
I think people are overly critical.

The lady we assume to be JonTrex's wife (?) has started her channel in her second language and he is trying to get it 'out there' for her.

It would have been more constructive if he had given us that background, or some context in that he appears to be based in Ukraine. Perhaps the thread title "my story" would have some of it? We dont know his story. He hasn't properly introduced himself. Even what is her name? When were they married? If you want to get a community on side then engage with them.

Jon, this is why the member suspicion and snarky comments.

I'd suggest the lady in the video talks too fast. Tell her to relax a little and fewer of the snippy edits. And introduce yourself and engage.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »

The lady we assume to be JonTrex's wife (?) has started her channel in her second language and he is trying to get it 'out there' for her.

It would have been more constructive if he had given us that background, or some context in that he appears to be based in Ukraine. Perhaps the thread title "my story" would have some of it? We dont know his story. He hasn't properly introduced himself. Even what is her name? When were they married? If you want to get a community on side then engage with them.

Jon, this is why the member suspicion and snarky comments.

I'd suggest the lady in the video talks too fast. Tell her to relax a little and fewer of the snippy edits. And introduce yourself and engage.

Good points. It’s a tough crowd. If she were my GF or wife I’d give her 9/10.

The producer of the vid (Jon?) should show her preparing more than just that. It takes time to write and produce any video and we should applaud the effort.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
I would have given her 6 or 7 out of 10 but what do I know?  :chuckle:

I do enjoy watching Rachel Ray and especially Gordon Ramsay on cooking shows.

Cannot cook well at all but like most men can grill a proper steak.

Gordon Ramsay is a good chef.  I have one of his cookbooks.

I don't really like Rachel Ray, I like Giada De Laurentiis. 

If you like cooking shows, watch the original Iron Chef from Japan.  They're on youtube.

Anyone can cook, it's easy.  Try the Foodnetwork's recipes.  Tyler Florence, Alton Brown, Giada De Laurentiis, Ina Garten, and Emeril Lagasse all have accessible recipes that always work, as do the Foodnetwork Kitchen's recipes.  The site rates recipes on complexity, so you can use "easy".

Here is a very simple recipe, and it's one of my son's favourite dishes, from childhood, and he still loves it, so I make it at least once a month for him -

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/cajun-shrimp-and-rice-recipe-1972850

I don't measure, add more garlic and cajun spice, and I make it slightly differently, as I prepare the tomatoes first, using grape tomatoes (more flavour), cook that down, then add fresh shrimp, which cooks very quickly - a couple of minutes at most.  I also make the rice separately (we have a rice cooker, at the kids' insistence), and the dish is poured over rice, as that's the way my son likes it.  I don't add scallions, just chop them on top when serving.  Even if you can't cook, this is so simple, anyone can prepare it.

Thanks very much.  tiphat

Funny but I absolutely LOVE Iron Chef!!

That and Kitchen Nightmares, best shows ever!!

But no matter how easy, if I am involved; DISASTER zone!  :laugh:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
  I'm not promoting any business or agency
Thanks for the advice in the posts above

It’s a tough crowd. Manny offers you the best advice just above.

Offline Manny

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »
Good points. It’s a tough crowd. If she were my GF or wife I’d give her 9/10.

The producer of the vid (Jon?) should show her preparing more than just that. It takes time to write and produce any video and we should applaud the effort.

Indeed. My wife recently started her own Youtube channel as well (mostly in Russian). It isnt ready for mass consumption yet. But she did one interview with a local sleb which because it had subtitles and other stuff, we had a local TV company do. And it took 3 cameras, 2 blokes, hour after hour of editing and a big lump of $. The stuff she has done with her phone she isnt happy enough to release. It'd take hours of editing to get it to standard she liked. It's a big subject and not as easy as people think.

When doing DIY ones, I'd get this lady a camera/phone tripod and work on the editing a tad. Editing itself is a skill that takes time to master. Practice makes perfect.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »
I thought I was seeing double just now.   :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »
I thought I was seeing double just now.   :chuckle:

You were!  :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 01:31:34 AM »

At last, some reason prevails..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 05:50:03 AM »
Just look at how great Ukrainian cooking is. Bet you wouldn't turn down a meal like this:

It's a bunch of fried vegetables.  Not exactly taxing to prepare, and it's not a uniquely "Ukrainian" meal.  Plus, the woman cooking them doesn't seem to understand that one should not use flatware utensils on non stick pans.  It can damage the coating.

I agree.

It looked like a bunch of fried vegetables, not all of which seemed cooked in the correct order. There was too much in the pan as well so it'll just start to stew and get all watery, rather than cook and colour.

‘The two steaks have been up and down like f*****g Abi Titmuss’s knickers.’

Yes - just call me Gogs Ramsay.  :biggrin:

Offline Halo

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
Yes, I thought there were too many vegetables in the pan as well.

I assumed I was being overly critical, which is why I asked the better half for his opinion.  Perhaps that was not the best course of action.  His grandmother was an outstanding cook and baker - she could give any professional chef a run for his/her money.  He measures everyone against her, so of course, everyone else fails. 

I'm a fairly good cook and baker.  I used to bake bread from scratch for the kids every Saturday.  However, pretty much everything I cook takes less than 30 minutes prep time.  And, I could never compete with "Babushka".
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
Yes, I thought there were too many vegetables in the pan as well.

I assumed I was being overly critical, which is why I asked the better half for his opinion.  Perhaps that was not the best course of action.  His grandmother was an outstanding cook and baker - she could give any professional chef a run for his/her money.  He measures everyone against her, so of course, everyone else fails. 

I'm a fairly good cook and baker.  I used to bake bread from scratch for the kids every Saturday.  However, pretty much everything I cook takes less than 30 minutes prep time.  And, I could never compete with "Babushka".

I AM going to try your recipe.

I can easily fry up some shrimp and I also have a rice cooker.

We’ll see if I can get the rest of it correct. Will try this weekend.

Offline Halo

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
 :party0011:

I suggest preparing the tomatoes first, and then add the shrimp to the cooked tomato mixture.

I use a potato ricer to smash the tomatoes once they've heated - it decreases cooking time.  The shrimp, if you're using fresh, should cook fully in 2 minutes. 

Or, watch the video, and it should turn out perfectly for you.

Please let me know how it turns out!
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten