The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Boris Johnson is Prime Minister  (Read 17676 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Boris Johnson is Prime Minister
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Per posts yesterday, rosco, here is an article today on why populism isn't a "sell" in Canada -

https://nationalpost.com/author/acoynenp

Give it time. With enough liberal lunacy you’ll have your own Trump soon.  :coffeeread:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2019, 01:54:36 AM »

you'd fit in perfectly in the movie: grumpy old men

John Gustafson or Max Goldman ?  :chuckle:

One of my fav movies..

As ever, some folks like to discuss me rather than the non elected ( save c.160k) leader of of the UK .. :coffeeread:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »
the non elected ( save c.160k) leader of of the UK .. :coffeeread:

Tsk, tsk..........

As we can see, Boris totally walked it. Much to Moby's chagrin, only 138809 us us voted. 22000 members did not vote.

138809 of us it was, and he isn't "unelected" in any sense. The country votes for the party, and the party chooses its own leader. Naughty fibber.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2019, 08:01:20 AM »

One of my fav movies..

As ever, some folks like to discuss me rather than the non elected ( save c.160k) leader of of the UK .. :coffeeread:

Actually a classic, W. Matthau and J. Lemmon is Grumpy Old Men.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »

The country votes for the party, and the party chooses its own leader. Naughty fibber.

A classic swerve used by most libs, so long as it suits!! Not a peep when Gordon Brown got in.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »

Thanks for re-enforcing my point ..

Tsk, tsk..........

As we can see, Boris totally walked it. Much to Moby's chagrin, only 138809 us us voted. 22000 members did not vote.

138809 of us it was, and he isn't "unelected" in any sense. The country votes for the party, and the party chooses its own leader. Naughty fibber.

Out of c.160k members.. c.140k bothered to voted ...the rest are prob Remain Tories who thought both candidates sucked..

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »

One of my fav movies..

Actually a classic, W. Matthau and J. Lemmon is Grumpy Old Men.

I could probably play W. Matthau.  :laugh:

Offline Manny

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Out of c.160k members.. c.140k bothered to voted ...the rest are prob Remain Tories who thought both candidates sucked..

Perhaps. The 14% who didn't vote may well reflect remainers. Hardly your overwhelming majority of remainers you claim exist, eh Mobster? Oh dear. Moby trips over his own fibs  :evilgrin0002:

The country votes for the party, and the party chooses its own leader. Naughty fibber.

A classic swerve used by most libs, so long as it suits!! Not a peep when Gordon Brown got in.

Exactly. The rest of us never hooted about that like this lot are doing.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
It started out as frustration, almost having pity for sore losers but today I hold nothing but contempt for the idiots who feel the need to protest every appointment and each democratic vote and election they lose.

If someone comes to power and that person is wrong in how they choose to run a country, then debate the facts, point out the errors and make it clear to the voting public that in order for a better government, we need to vote differently next time. Instead, the idiots protest and proclaim impending doom before that persons even had a shite on the royal throne.

This lot, who all happen to be liberals reeling from a string of damaging defeats, chose to fabricate and publish lies, smear candidates with deflection and unwanted attention and behave like spoiled children, stamping their feet because they never got what they wanted! If they were normal people, you may not like the new leader but at least wait until he does something wrong and attack him for that. Their protest isn’t about what’s right, it’s about not getting their way!

I have zero respect for this behaviour and now find happiness in others pain. That said, something or someone in power, needs to make it clear that this has to stop. It’s unhealthy, it’s pathetic and it’s a worrying slide into shitsville.

If you don’t like the result of a democratic vote, then stand up and convince the nation why it’s wrong. Blowing up inflatable effigies, demanding re-votes, cause havoc to normal working people by holding pointless protests and slandering innocent individuals and effectively becoming a fascist and a bully, in the pretence of being against fascism.......is bloody outrageous.

To some degree it mirrors what’s going on in the US. Trumps a bit of a plonker but he’s certainly not the worst president we’ve seen. I also suspect both the US and the rest of the world would be worse off if Kilary was at the wheel. The media however, don’t recognise this and attack Trump for being Trump. Quite pathetic that so many buy into it.

Bottom line - We should be accountable for our actions but I fear it’s only going to get worse. War is on its way. The libs are praying for rain but they’ll not like it when it gets muddy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »
e]

Perhaps. The 14% who didn't vote may well reflect remainers. Hardly your overwhelming majority of remainers you claim exist, eh Mobster? Oh dear. Moby trips over his own fibs  :evilgrin0002:

Your Soviet style 'quotes' do you credit..

Pls find where I claim the Tory members would be 'remain'.. 

160K memebers ..when  even he Lib Dems have more party members .. let alone Labour's -near 4 times more ..

Be ready to wake up on Aug 2nd minus at least one more MP less .. and this is a 'leave' seat ..

Offline Manny

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
It started out as frustration, almost having pity for sore losers but today I hold nothing but contempt for the idiots who feel the need to protest every appointment and each democratic vote and election they lose.

If someone comes to power and that person is wrong in how they choose to run a country, then debate the facts, point out the errors and make it clear to the voting public that in order for a better government, we need to vote differently next time. Instead, the idiots protest and proclaim impending doom before that persons even had a shite on the royal throne.

This lot, who all happen to be liberals reeling from a string of damaging defeats, chose to fabricate and publish lies, smear candidates with deflection and unwanted attention and behave like spoiled children, stamping their feet because they never got what they wanted! If they were normal people, you may not like the new leader but at least wait until he does something wrong and attack him for that. Their protest isn’t about what’s right, it’s about not getting their way!

I have zero respect for this behaviour and now find happiness in others pain. That said, something or someone in power, needs to make it clear that this has to stop. It’s unhealthy, it’s pathetic and it’s a worrying slide into shitsville.

If you don’t like the result of a democratic vote, then stand up and convince the nation why it’s wrong. Blowing up inflatable effigies, demanding re-votes, cause havoc to normal working people by holding pointless protests and slandering innocent individuals and effectively becoming a fascist and a bully, in the pretence of being against fascism.......is bloody outrageous.

To some degree it mirrors what’s going on in the US. Trumps a bit of a plonker but he’s certainly not the worst president we’ve seen. I also suspect both the US and the rest of the world would be worse off if Kilary was at the wheel. The media however, don’t recognise this and attack Trump for being Trump. Quite pathetic that so many buy into it.

Bottom line - We should be accountable for our actions but I fear it’s only going to get worse. War is on its way. The libs are praying for rain but they’ll not like it when it gets muddy.

I agree with all this.

Venues like Twitter are throbbing with the Mobys of the world, but at least you can spot them on there as they all do their virtue signalling, lying and anti-democratic howling using an #FBPE hashtag so they can all stick together like some kind for Orwellian Groupthink. These are the same people having 100 year old statues removed from universities because they are "offended" (usually on behalf of others) and demanding "safe spaces" to weep about gawd knows what while half the blokes are prancing around in feather boas and makeup pretending to be women...........

Moby is the thin end of that wedge. It must be resisted or the whole country will one day be like Brighton. And the bits that aren't will be like London: heaving with Muslims that they imported to feel "right on" and "diverse". They'll all then ignore the Muslims raping their daughters (as in Rotherham and others) for the "sake of diversity".

Moby embodies that whole fetid fuzzy-thinking leftist movement. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »

I agree with all this.  :ROFL:

Moby is the thin end of that wedge.

Says the secret UKIPer dresed up as a Tory .. ;)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Boris Johnson is Prime Minister and R-M'S A LOON.
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
IF THIS ARTICLE IS TRUE..

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-26/itv-news-exclusive-jacob-rees-mogg-issues-style-guide-to-staff/

ITV News exclusive: Jacob Rees-Mogg issues style guide to staff

Nicknamed the ‘Honourable Member for the 18th Century', Mr Rees-Mogg is known for his formal dress and love of tradition.

The EU has issued several directives over the decades asking member states to use metric measurements.

The UK has been a late adopter of the system, continuing to use miles rather than kilometres on road signs, for example.

Mr Rees-Mogg makes clear he would prefer staff to always use imperial measurements, most of which were phased out from the mid-1960s.

Back to 20 shillings to the £ and 12 pence to asilling, no doubt..

Our Manny is a fan...says it all, really  :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »

I agree with all this.

Venues like Twitter are throbbing with the Mobys of the world, but at least you can spot them on there as they all do their virtue signalling, lying and anti-democratic howling using an #FBPE hashtag so they can all stick together like some kind for Orwellian Groupthink. These are the same people having 100 year old statues removed from universities because they are "offended" (usually on behalf of others) and demanding "safe spaces" to weep about gawd knows what while half the blokes are prancing around in feather boas and makeup pretending to be women...........

Moby is the thin end of that wedge. It must be resisted or the whole country will one day be like Brighton. And the bits that aren't will be like London: heaving with Muslims that they imported to feel "right on" and "diverse". They'll all then ignore the Muslims raping their daughters (as in Rotherham and others) for the "sake of diversity".

Moby embodies that whole fetid fuzzy-thinking leftist movement.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Rosco really great post and Manny too.

Offline Guile

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
moby is like the fag who's butt end withered a little too long after after being blown and inhaled by big Boris.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »
I heard in Dutch news that if a vote of no confidence against Boris is accepted then a no-deal brexit is fact. can the brits explain this to me?
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2019, 06:02:21 AM »
I heard in Dutch news that if a vote of no confidence against Boris is accepted then a no-deal brexit is fact. can the brits explain this to me?

There are arguments on both sides about this but the bottom line, as I understand it, is this:
We are due to leave the EU on October 31st. If nothing happens on the British side to ask for another extension then we leave. If no deal is in place then there is no deal, but we still go.

So, unless the British government changes its position, dictated by a coup or legitimate change of government, we are gone.

How can that change?
1) a change of government as noted above.
2) the EU who REALLY do not want a no-deal British exit from the EU pull on their big-boy pants and start to deal honestly with the British government.

Strategically, the new prime minister's role is to force the EU to negotiate honestly because the PM has made it clear that, unlike Mrs May who was the soft touch, velvet glove negotiator, Johnson's fist is NOT gloved in velvet and it is not soft.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2019, 06:03:28 AM »

No... I expect someone thinks that Oct 31st is set in stone - even if Boris and his Tory minority govt are gone ..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2019, 06:06:31 AM »
Andrewfi, kindly explain to us what happens if TORY 'remain' MPs abstain or even vote against Boris in a VoNC.. Are your numbers 'faulty' AGAIN ?

Boris is in a weaker postion than May - esp after the Brecon by-election and some Tories MIGHT cross the floor to the LDs ...

What audience are you posting on behalf of .. the deluded ?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
Moby, this is hard to understand for people like you, but if nothing happens we leave the EU on October 31st unless somebody does something. The default is, as it was before, to leave. That requires no vote. Only by making a choice to do something else will something else happen.

The government's default position is to do nothing unless we have a better leave deal than a no deal or what is currently on the table. That's the current prime minister's job to manage to completion.

There's nothing else, no wittering, lying, or changes of heart.

I am sure that the current government has an opinion as to what an exit deal should look like. Now that the EU knows the bottom line I fully expect, as has been hinted at, by some in positions of power or influence within the EU, that the EU will seek to avoid a no deal exit.

The reason for the EU enabling previous delays was to get their version of a deal package approved by Parliament (or, ideally for the UK to decide to not leave) . They badly need a negotiated exit deal, more than Britain does. So, they will now talk. The British government will stick with the current timetable to encourage speed and honesty from the EU side.

Please don't mislead yourself with fantasies rooted in poor information and the expectation that everybody is as dishonest as you.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »

No... I expect someone thinks that Oct 31st is set in stone - even if Boris and his Tory minority govt are gone ..
the news calculated that if new elections are held that the earliest possible new govt is 8 nov. hence nodeal is fact
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »

the news calculated that if new elections are held that the earliest possible new govt is 8 nov. hence nodeal is fact

That's about the long and short of it. There will be no election before we leave. The government is clear that we will leave and thus we will leave.

The only question is the degree to which the EU will cave before the exit date. They may not change anything in which case the EU get what they really do not want. But that is why I expect that there will be a sudden collapse on the part of the EU after a lot of brave talk about how steadfast they all are and how Britain must accept their offer which is the 'only' offer.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
Moby, this is hard to understand for people like you, -

People like me can clearly add up better than you ..

The EU 'delaying' things ? .. 'People like me know that is nonsense' ..

Boris intends to try and run down the clockk and hope for a miracle in any General Election .. ALL that is going to happen is that he may take support from Farage's the brexitparty.com

Offline Manny

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »
he may take support from Farage's the brexitparty.com

Most of it. And by so doing keep your pal Corbyn out.

You're not good at politics are you?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
moby, moby, moby, you just can't be honest, can you? I know I sound like a broken record but really - putting two words in quotes and attributing them to me is not at all honest. It is as a lie.

The EU enabled a delay in the UK leaving - if they did not agree to a delay we would have left already. You know that to be true, so why try to mislead or suggest otherwise?
The reason they agreed to a delay was that they did not want a no-deal exit (the previous default mode) and that has not changed.

It is not hard to see how you have ongoing problems with getting personal contacts and bizniz partners to trust you - there's nothing to trust!