The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: America is a much better place to live than the UK?  (Read 23445 times)

Offline yankee

Re: America is a much better place to live than the UK?
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »

In Miami the attractions are the beach, drinking alcohol, going to shopping malls or dance clubs.  Where's the culture?  Nowhere to be found. 

I live 150 miles north of you.  So far this year we have seen the ballet Swan Lake, gone to the symphony, and several other performances.  It is there, you just have to look for it.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2020, 11:41:09 AM »

In Miami the attractions are the beach, drinking alcohol, going to shopping malls or dance clubs.  Where's the culture?  Nowhere to be found. 

I live 150 miles north of you.  So far this year we have seen the ballet Swan Lake, gone to the symphony, and several other performances.  It is there, you just have to look for it.

:thumbsup:

And perhaps move away from Miami. There are likely many more liveable cities, like where Yankee lives.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2020, 12:27:00 PM »

...by the CDC, not some internet-dwelling Eurotrash ne'er-do-well. 

'Sorry' in my world the CDC is the "Center for Disease Control" ... they 'estimate' how many people wave guns as a defensive act ?  Is the use of a gun a disease .. perhaps .. if you like using one, too much ..

So, now we have a 'mod' attacking the poster  :ROFL: You reminded me Denis Healy's comment re an attempted  'riposte in Parliament from  Sir Geoffrey Howe...""like being savaged by a dead sheep""..

Face it .. you're a little too quick to blame blacks and Hispanics for the mess your fore-fathers  - who were mostly religious zealot wack-jobs and weirdos the 'Euro-trash were glad to see the back of ..

You lot can't do road rage - lest the recipient pulls a gun ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »
but the infrastructure put me off. . What does that mean? The local X45 bus was not comfortable enough? Or a few pot holes in the road.. Come on that is a bit of a lame excuse why you couldn't move to Russia ? :)

Well, it isnt a few potholes is it? And then there is the bureaucracy, the non functioning Post Office and the corruption. All better than they once were but it's hardly Switzerland or Norway is it?

As with the US, not an improvement, it'd be tiresome getting shot all the time and being 300kg because of hormone and corn syrup laced food.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
but the infrastructure put me off. . What does that mean? The local X45 bus was not comfortable enough? Or a few pot holes in the road.. Come on that is a bit of a lame excuse why you couldn't move to Russia ? :)

Well, it isnt a few potholes is it? And then there is the bureaucracy, the non functioning Post Office and the corruption. All better than they once were but it's hardly Switzerland or Norway is it?

Too bad the Germans didn’t win WWII.

The roads would be smooth as glass, the efficiency would be legendary and there wouldn’t be any corruption.  :chuckle:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »

As with the US, not an improvement, it'd be tiresome getting shot all the time and being 300kg because of hormone and corn syrup laced food.

Yeah but how would the  corruption effect you? I mean it would not effect you i?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »

Too bad the Germans didn’t win WWII.

The roads would be smooth as glass, the efficiency would be legendary and there wouldn’t be any corruption.  :chuckle:

What do you mean?? Those frigging German roads were paid for from British tax payers hard earned cash a few decades back!! And they never even paid the bloody loan back!! The US also paid for the nice German roads!!

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »
'Sorry' in my world the CDC is the "Center for Disease Control"

Correct.  They were tasked by the president with conducting the research.  As opposed to "Mohabi's Ill-Informed Opinions, Based On His Individual Prejudices and Feelings."  Yeah, I'm going with the CDC on that one.

So, now we have a 'mod' attacking the poster 

I am not modding this thread, so I am just another poster, entitled to have a point of view.  Nice attempt at "Cry-Bullying".  Don't pretend to be fragile.

You reminded me Denis Healy's comment re an attempted  'riposte in Parliament from  Sir Geoffrey Howe...""like being savaged by a dead sheep""..

I am certain you have much more "experience" with dead sheep than I do....

Face it .. you're a little too quick to blame blacks and Hispanics for the mess your fore-fathers  - who were mostly religious zealot wack-jobs and weirdos the 'Euro-trash were glad to see the back of ..

Ah, one of the famous Mohabi "SWERVES!" 

Tax protesters, it should be mentioned also - however, as you lot found, being governed by a remote, uncaring, unaccountable bureaucracy basically sucks, and not in the "fun" way, like with a lady.

As for "blaming" blacks for anything if 6.5% of the population could manage to not commit 51% of the murders, I would not be able to point that out.  So, you can argue that the truth is "RAYCISSST", but it's still the truth.  Also that would be stupid, although you've never let that stop you before.

Indeed, ignoring ugly truths for comfortable lies is what lead to thousands of girls being raped by grooming gangs because you lot were afraid of a word.

In general, I am not given to 'road rage', and if others are deterred from it, that's fine with me.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2020, 06:31:19 PM »
'Sorry' in my world the CDC is the "Center for Disease Control"

Correct.  They were tasked by the president with conducting the research.  As opposed to "Mohabi's Ill-Informed Opinions, Based On His Individual Prejudices and Feelings."  Yeah, I'm going with the CDC on that one.

I am not modding this thread, so I am just another poster, entitled to have a point of view.  Nice attempt at "Cry-Bullying".  Don't pretend to be fragile.

You reminded me Denis Healy's comment re an attempted  'riposte in Parliament from  Sir Geoffrey Howe...""like being savaged by a dead sheep""..

Tax protesters, it should be mentioned also - however, as you lot found, being governed by a remote, uncaring, unaccountable bureaucracy basically sucks, and not in the "fun" way, like with a lady.

As for "blaming" blacks for anything if 6.5% of the population could manage to not commit 51% of the murders, I would not be able to point that out.  So, you can argue that the truth is "RAYCISSST", but it's still the truth.  Also that would be stupid, although you've never let that stop you before.

Indeed, ignoring ugly truths for comfortable lies is what lead to thousands of girls being raped by grooming gangs because you lot were afraid of a word.

In general, I am not given to 'road rage', and if others are deterred from it, that's fine with me.

B/B

Speaking of road rage and such: a former GF of mine was rear-ended while driving her Porsche 911 in heavy traffic in Seattle. The perpetrator then tried to flee. She caught up with him and pulled her 9mm out and pointed it at him (she had got past him then in front of him, stopped and hopped out of her car while pointing a loaded handgun at him). The Police came and arrested him for attempting to flee an accident and thanked her for detaining him. Granted this happened about 30 years ago before the liberal hysteria over guns.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »

Can you compare the Russian ballet or the Bolshoi theater to anything we have here in Florida?  Come on.  Not an accurate statement. 

And how often does your average Floridian go to such functions compared to your average Russian? 

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »
Manny, have you considered living in Russia?  What obstacles are you facing?  Or would it become easier upon retirement?

I think I covered this back topic.

I think it's true that if you have enough money to insulate yourself from the stuff you dont like, you can live anywhere quite happily.

Earning that money abroad is the thing. Many can't make what they do portable enough.

I *could* live in the US quite happily with enough money I suppose, but it would likely cost more than it does here to live a similar lifestyle in a place where I'd actually want to live. I once considered it, and it's easy enough to do once there, but there are better places without the many drawbacks. 

Wifey once asked me to live in Russia, I considered that and we even looked at property, but the infrastructure put me off.

We considered living in Estonia, bought a place too, but the country isnt big enough to make much money there unless you are totally fluent in Estonian and have a USP. Its OK there if you earn elsewhere.

I could live quite happily in the bit of China I go to. There is a very agreeable expat bubble to fall back on. But life would be easier there as a single bloke. That said, I do know an American guy who lives there with his Russian wife and teaches English. But teaching English is no great money earner, again you'd need a western income to fund a decent lifestyle. Not to mention speaking Mandarin.

For me, the UK is better. I certainly prefer it over the places I've been in the US.

I doubt I'll ever retire in the traditional sense unless forced to. I see no benefit twiddling ones thumbs watering the tomato plants.

Manny what about any hobbies?  Or perhaps sailing around the world in a yacht? 

Retirement can be nice if its properly funded. 

Do you really want to be 80 years old and still go to the office? 

Offline Guile

« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:09 PM »

Can you compare the Russian ballet or the Bolshoi theater to anything we have here in Florida?  Come on.  Not an accurate statement. 

And how often does your average Floridian go to such functions compared to your average Russian?

yeah but does Moscow have the Heat or Dolphins or Marlins?

Tix to the Bolshoy are super expensive even for expats.  Most young Russians go to cafes, bars and clubs, shopping centres.  You are imagining a fantasy Russia. Live in Moscow for a few months then get back to me.  Have you tried to order a taxi in Russia at 2am? Or dealt with their quirks like no hot water in the summer for 2 weeks.
Another thing, how much time have you spent trying to learn Russian?  Because if you can't speak it then you'll have a very hard time making friends.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:20 AM »
If you don't want to do what you do then you're doing the wrong thing.

I understand that most people live lives of quiet desperation but Manny is clearly not one of those people. Neither am I. I can't imagine not doing what I do. I hope to be able to do it until I turn up my toes.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2020, 03:57:02 AM »

I understand that most people live lives of quiet desperation but Manny is clearly not one of those people. Neither am I. I can't imagine not doing what I do. I hope to be able to do it until I turn up my toes.

Christ I hate what Im doing!! Actually I hate all work just like most people, they say that nearly all of the US hate getting up and going to work every day and that is the same all over the world if the truth is know.. who enjoys work? No one surely ?  How can it be possible to actually enjoy your work....people may say they enjoy their work but naaa I cannot see it.

For example how can I possibly enjoy my work.. I would rather be on a big yacht doing a 10 year round the world cruise calling at ports all over the world eating at the best restaurants, doing some fishing for Tuna down the Florida keys , renting a villa there for a week coming in the evening and making a BBQ next week setting off to Cuba for two weeks !! That is what I call work. But I cannot do that until I make a few bob  from some thing I do not really enjoy.. that is how life is..

As for working from home on the internet some could say it is a nice life but in reality it is just work work work even whilst sleeping.. :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:40 AM »

Christ I hate what Im doing!! Actually I hate all work just like most people, they say that nearly all of the US hate getting up and going to work every day and that is the same all over the world if the truth is know.. who enjoys work? No one surely ?  How can it be possible to actually enjoy your work....people may say they enjoy their work but naaa I cannot see it.

For example how can I possibly enjoy my work.. I would rather be on a big yacht doing a 10 year round the world cruise calling at ports all over the world eating at the best restaurants, doing some fishing for Tuna down the Florida keys , renting a villa there for a week coming in the evening and making a BBQ next week setting off to Cuba for two weeks !! That is what I call work. But I cannot do that until I make a few bob  from some thing I do not really enjoy.. that is how life is..

As for working from home on the internet some could say it is a nice life but in reality it is just work work work even whilst sleeping.. :laugh:

When I am able to get up in the morning and see the following every day.. then I will be able to say I enjoy work.. And I mean get up every morning like this.. not just The Weeknd or just a couple of weeks a year then back to the grind stone..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »

I've a feeling the President got the 'data; he wanted - given the powerful lobbyist NRA ..

Fragility wasn't implied or suggested - you GOT my point  - re the application of T's and C's  .. :)

Dead ones, most certainly ... your 'attack' was the usual 'standard' ..

It was close to fact than you wish to admit - given your anti-Islam 'modification' of a serial fibbers terminology..

..tax dodgers, more like and nothing's changed on THAT front !

The next time there's a mass-shooting at a school committed by a disenfranchised 'native' American ... I'll remind you - they are SO frequent ... it won't be long ..

You'll probably find lot's of stuff like that goes on in your part of the world - but the cover-ups are just more 'secure' ?

'In general' ... ?  Usually infers mostly - what stops you ... the thought that the little 'ol lady will shoot first ? ;)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2020, 06:20:44 AM »
Steve, there's a choice to be made and not everyone is given the ability to make that choice - most people are not.

Manny is fortunate, as am I.
In a slightly different way, so too are you!

I genuinely enjoy what I do. In part, I designed my life in order to enable me to do work I enjoy until my mind turns to mush and I no longer care about anything except that the nurse changes my piss bag and feeds me from time to time.

The lifestyle you outline is a costly one and requires a large excess of money over a significant portion of your life in order to fund the lifestyle you desire. Almost nobody who has a job and earns wages will ever have that kind of excess. That kind of excess only comes, for most of us, from owning the revenue streams rather than being paid as wages a tiny proportion of the revenue streams our work enables.

I know that the mental activity necessitated by the work I enjoy is almost certain to enable me to have a longer healthy life than if I chose to not work. The revenues from that work support my lifestyle both now and in the future. This income stream will reduce my need for an excess of income over expenditure making possible a better life than I'd otherwise have.

It's all good!
I do feel sorry for those less able to control the income from the revenue streams that they enable!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2020, 06:57:52 AM »
Steve, there's a choice to be made and not everyone is given the ability to make that choice - most people are not.

I genuinely enjoy what I do. In part, I designed my life in order to enable me to do work I enjoy until my mind turns to mush and I no longer care about anything except that the nurse changes my piss bag and feeds me from time to time.

The lifestyle you outline is a costly one and requires a large excess of money over a significant portion of your life in order to fund the lifestyle you desire. Almost nobody who has a job and earns wages will ever have that kind of excess. That kind of excess only comes, for most of us, from owning the revenue streams rather than being paid as wages a tiny proportion of the revenue streams our work enables.

I know that the mental activity necessitated by the work I enjoy is almost certain to enable me to have a longer healthy life than if I chose to not work. The revenues from that work support my lifestyle both now and in the future. This income stream will reduce my need for an excess of income over expenditure making possible a better life than I'd otherwise have.

It's all good!
I do feel sorry for those less able to control the income from the revenue streams that they enable!

I often think about a career change and what can possibly be the best option for a perfect life and I finally found out exactly what it is!!

President of a country? No everyone hates you and after you retire your always have people wanting to  kill you..  :laugh:

Chief CEO of a global company with a huge salary? No not worth he money they will work you into the ground until you have a early heart attack your hair will be grey 20 years early and for what? A few properties and a bit of cash in the bank.. no not worth the trouble..

A big boss of your own company? No not worth it you will suffer stress, go grey early, work like a slave usually to pay the debenture , loan, over draft the bank will probably own you in any case unless you're lucky.. being a boss of a fair sized company is nothing special..

So what can be the best career option? Thats easy!! A International Rock star!! Why?

1, You get millions of cash..

2. Everyone worships you, can you imagine everyone wanting your autograph where ever you go.. must be a nice feeling.. :laugh:

3. You are answerable to none (I like this part) no need to put on a false personality, be nice to people  you do not like, no need to agree with everyone to look good, no need to creep round any one, in fact you can do as you wish nearly!!

4. I guess it is the closest thing to becoming a kind of God.. :laugh:

Yes an International Rockstar is perfect..

I have a friend who has a band here so planning to start my career in his band, ok it will be just tapping a tambourine to start with.. but from acorns grow Oak trees .. :ROFL:

Offline yankee

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:41 AM »

The ballet was from Ukraine.  It was an excellent performance.  How often do you see the ballet?   How many performances have you seen (live)?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:17 AM »
Steveboy

Why not write words that people ( in their millions) would pay for - under a pseudonym?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2020, 07:52:58 AM »
Steve, why not look at something that you have some power to be able to succeed in doing?

I know that you are not serious but
Step 1. Become Rockstar

Step 2. Get Hugely Wealthy

Step 3. PROFIT

isn't how life really works! That's why you work very hard on building a business that you know can and does make good money!
Most people never have the wherewithal to do, or accomplish, what you have!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »

The ballet was from Ukraine.  It was an excellent performance.  How often do you see the ballet?   How many performances have you seen (live)?

Omega is all talk.

If he did move to Russia he’d probably get beat up by some skinheads. Then he could finally complain about Russia as well.   :coffeeread:

Offline Manny

« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »
Manny, have you considered living in Russia?  What obstacles are you facing?  Or would it become easier upon retirement?

I think I covered this back topic.

I think it's true that if you have enough money to insulate yourself from the stuff you dont like, you can live anywhere quite happily.

Earning that money abroad is the thing. Many can't make what they do portable enough.

I *could* live in the US quite happily with enough money I suppose, but it would likely cost more than it does here to live a similar lifestyle in a place where I'd actually want to live. I once considered it, and it's easy enough to do once there, but there are better places without the many drawbacks. 

Wifey once asked me to live in Russia, I considered that and we even looked at property, but the infrastructure put me off.

We considered living in Estonia, bought a place too, but the country isnt big enough to make much money there unless you are totally fluent in Estonian and have a USP. Its OK there if you earn elsewhere.

I could live quite happily in the bit of China I go to. There is a very agreeable expat bubble to fall back on. But life would be easier there as a single bloke. That said, I do know an American guy who lives there with his Russian wife and teaches English. But teaching English is no great money earner, again you'd need a western income to fund a decent lifestyle. Not to mention speaking Mandarin.

For me, the UK is better. I certainly prefer it over the places I've been in the US.

I doubt I'll ever retire in the traditional sense unless forced to. I see no benefit twiddling ones thumbs watering the tomato plants.

Manny what about any hobbies?  Or perhaps sailing around the world in a yacht? 

Retirement can be nice if its properly funded. 

Do you really want to be 80 years old and still go to the office?

It's about what you enjoy and not about sitting in an office. At the moment I dislike the day by day drudge stuff, and I won't sit in rush hour traffic as its mind numbing, so I designed the business so I roll in after the gym about 11 am and am often gone by 2.30/3.30. Others do the tedious grunt before and after. I work very hard for a few hours and then later pick up emails and other stuff from home. If I'm up early I sometimes do that at 5/6am before breakfast too. If I can't sleep I'll write some copy. I like having the flexibility to spread myself out during the day.

I like product design, following it through to manufacture and then to retail. From having an idea to meeting a bloke in China, doing quality control and testing, to eventually writing sales copy for it and doing photos. If that product flies, I love that my idea solved the problem thousands of people had for less £ and/or faster than the competition. I've some lines that just tick over, and that's OK too as they'll pay over 2-4 years (I do some chuggers on purpose now as others won't copy them so I am the only seller). But the odd one goes on fire and that's swell. I'd happily do a few of those a year and have some jollies to China when I'm 70. Two or three good new products a year will do nicely.

Andrew is quite accurate here:

Eventually, for my thinking at least, much of the fulfillment side of what I do can be automated or outsourced eventually. That leaves me jollying around Asia doing a few products and deals, ordering a few shirts in Hong Kong on my way through, and co-ordinating shipping and retail by email. Then I can jolly in FL the odd month, pop to Madeira for a few weeks, or wherever I like. What do I need? A few grand a month? Less than my wage bill now. That's the working retirement I envisage. At that point I'm happy to spend some more time in the US as many folk I know do in that position (I want to do Seattle, CA (SF/LA), AZ, NV, New England, TN, TX). Sitting at home watering the geraniums, with the postman being the highlight of the day (a momentary distraction from the daytime TV) while waiting for God isnt for me. I dont have any debt or liabilities to speak of (or nothing I couldn't clear tomorrow) so I only need to cater to what I actually need and not what I spent in the past.

Health and mental agility permitting, I'll not retire in the traditional sense. But I'll enjoy my slow working life punctuated by many international jollies. As Andrew noted, not everyone has the specific freedoms or the ability to do that. We all design and/or envisage a different life as we get older. Many folks would maybe love to just chill in a small house, in a warm place, tending the garden when they get older. I'll be the old geezer (with the slightly younger and rather elegant Russian wife) you'll bump into in some restaurant in Pyongyang, Vladivostok, Ningbo, Jacksonville, Riga, Monaco or Tehran.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »
Manny if and when you ever make it to New England, let me know.
I doubt your coming across the boarder, but if interested thats cool.
if not a little heads up, I would make a weekend out of it and meet up.

I doubt I make as much as most, But I am self employed and ye I work too much.
I have no desire to retire either, to mow the grass or sit in coffee shop with others
yapping about the same shit every day, NO.

But I do have a plan where a busy week is 20 hours and more free time,
maybe a month or two in warmer climate etc.
Unless I win the lottery I do not plan on quitting til they  throw me in a hole.

P.S> Steve I can't be a rock star for sure, I am only aloud to sing in car, by myself
with windows up at 100kph on the highway, so thats out for me :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
Steveboy

Why not write words that people ( in their millions) would pay for - under a pseudonym?

I would probably need to keep well away from people unless I was a rock star.. ;D

Because I have already come to the conclusion in life that 95% of the population are full of shit and lead fake lives.. and it's getting worse! Especially for the younger "Instagram" generation..Its a bullshit fake world we live in now..

Registration