The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia Day  (Read 916 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Russia Day
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
Russia Day is a national holiday in Russia, commemorating the formation of the Russian Republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_Day

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russia Day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:55:06 PM »
IIRC from another topic you were insisting the Russian Federation is exactly the same as the Soviet Union, no?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:11 PM »
IIRC from another topic you were insisting the Russian Federation is exactly the same as the Soviet Union, no?

I wasn't insisting that they are exactly the same, but I do believe the chauvinistic attitude towards Ukraine is pretty much the same.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »

I wasn't insisting that they are exactly the same, but I do believe the chauvinistic attitude towards Ukraine is pretty much the same.

Ukraine was within the Soviet Union. Kind of like saying the US is ‘chauvinistic’ towards Pennsylvania, no?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »

Ukraine was within the Soviet Union. Kind of like saying the US is ‘chauvinistic’ towards Pennsylvania, no?

It doesn’t seem the same at all to me.

Ukraine has been wishing to be a truly independent country for at least a century.

At this point Russia should be reminded that “you catch more flies with honey”.

From the point of view of Ukrainians they will likely never trust Russia ever again.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »

The commonwealth of Pennsylvania was one of the 13 original States of the United States. It also was one of the first states to ratify the USS constitution. Birth place and home to Benjamin Franklin
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »

The commonwealth of Pennsylvania was one of the 13 original States of the United States. It also was one of the first states to ratify the USS constitution. Birth place and home to Benjamin Franklin

Pray tell what is the USS Constitution?

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

A beautiful woman for one thing (though I don't think that's what Av was going for).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »

A beautiful woman for one thing (though I don't think that's what Av was going for).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

That ship has seen some serious action!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »

Old Ironsides is docked in Boston harbor.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd