The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Arrest of Russian Reporter Sparks Protests  (Read 675 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Arrest of Russian Reporter Sparks Protests
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »
MOSCOW — The arrest of a respected investigative journalist on dubious drug charges has hit a nerve in Russia, sparking growing protests on Monday and statements from a wide circle of celebrities criticizing abuse by the security services.

Supporters of the reporter, Ivan Golunov, held round-the-clock protests outside the police headquarters in central Moscow and have called for a march on the building on Wednesday, which is Russia Day, the country’s national holiday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/reporters-arrest-sets-off-widespread-protests-in-russia/ar-AACFsFd?li=BBnbfcL

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Arrest of Russian Reporter Sparks Protests
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:00:06 AM »
I cannot see your post, but I'm guessing you are referring to the Meduza journalist ?

I wonder why your post isn't moved to your own personal 'Kremlin phobic' thread ?;)

I guess you might not be applying for RU visas ? ...  :coffeeread:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:25:56 AM »
A Russian friend posted a petition on FB to get the journo freed

Here's the link to the Change.org petition :

"Free Russian investigative journalist Ivan Golunov!"

http://www.change.org/p/prosecutor-general-of-the-russian-federation-free-russian-investigative-journalist-ivan-golunov

Feel free to sign it - or just read about the double stds in Kremlin controlled media..

Their headlines at the weekend had a vikseo of Assange from Belmarsh prion in the UK - and buried WAY down the headlines was the protests about Golunov - no videos of his showing the alleged cigarette burns and bruising he claims he's suffered in captivity ..

I wonder if this post will ever see the light of day or be moved to my 'russophobic' thread ;) 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
Result:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48600233

Ivan Golunov arrest: Russian reporter to go free after public outcry

Russia has dropped all charges against an investigative reporter accused of drug dealing, after a massive public outcry over the case.

In a rare public show of support, Russian newspapers rallied around freelancer Ivan Golunov.

Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev admitted on Tuesday that Mr Golunov's guilt had "not been proven".

An internal inquiry was under way and the two arresting officers had been suspended, Mr Kolokoltsev said.