The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Safe travel to Konstantynivka, Donetsk oblast, Ukraine?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline SvenLotus

• Spouses Country: United States
  • Trips: 1-5
Safe travel to Konstantynivka, Donetsk oblast, Ukraine?
« on: June 05, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
Hello all:
Has anyone here recently traveled to any cities in the Donetsk Oblast that are supposed to be Ukraine army controlled, as opposed to areas or cities around Donetsk that are supposed to be controlled by non-Ukraine army forces? My fiancee lives in Konstantynivka which is a city about 50 - 70 km north of Donetsk and according to the conflict maps I have seen, has been held by Ukraine army forces for quite some time. I am under the impression that the city has been stable for a while now.

My fiancee has repeatedly told me it is not safe for an American to visit this city and other Ukraine citizens who live in the western parts of Ukraine (Chernivtsi for instance) have told me the same thing. In fact an interpreter/guide from Chernivtsi who I have used before has refused to travel as my guide and interpreter to this area because he feels it is too dangerous and he is a Ukraine citizen.

I want to be able to go visit my fiancee and her family but as I said my fiancee has said I will be robbed, kidnapped, or injured by "dangerous characters" if I do.

I have traveled to other areas of Ukraine before such as Kharkov, Chernivtsi, Zaporizhzia, and Kiev with no problems at all.

Specifically can I expect to encounter any sorts of Ukraine army checkpoints as I take a train journey from Kiev to Konstantynivka? If there are any sorts of checkpoints will I have issues as a non-russian speaker in passing through those checkpoints?

Any and all advice regarding an american traveling to this city or other conflict areas around Donetsk would be appreciated.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Safe travel to Konstantynivka, Donetsk oblast, Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
Hello all:
Has anyone here recently traveled to any cities in the Donetsk Oblast that are supposed to be Ukraine army controlled, as opposed to areas or cities around Donetsk that are supposed to be controlled by non-Ukraine army forces? My fiancee lives in Konstantynivka which is a city about 50 - 70 km north of Donetsk and according to the conflict maps I have seen, has been held by Ukraine army forces for quite some time. I am under the impression that the city has been stable for a while now.

My fiancee has repeatedly told me it is not safe for an American to visit this city and other Ukraine citizens who live in the western parts of Ukraine (Chernivtsi for instance) have told me the same thing. In fact an interpreter/guide from Chernivtsi who I have used before has refused to travel as my guide and interpreter to this area because he feels it is too dangerous and he is a Ukraine citizen.

I want to be able to go visit my fiancee and her family but as I said my fiancee has said I will be robbed, kidnapped, or injured by "dangerous characters" if I do.

* Legal Disclaimer: I am NOT offering you any advice other than to pay attention to the guide who is on the ground, advising you!!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:25:36 AM »
Dear Jenson or Lotus

Do not 'surprise' her family (  parents)  by turning up..They might be embarrassed about how they live.

Listen to her!

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:40:16 AM »
Why not just arrange to meet her in Kharkov, or Kiev or elsewhere?
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »

I'd also go for Kharkov, nice large city and it is reasonably safe for foreigners to travel there. It is far enough away from the conflict zone.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »

I'd also go for Kharkov, nice large city and it is reasonably safe for foreigners to travel there. It is far enough away from the conflict zone.

Yes agreed, I loved my times in Kharkov.
Слава Україні

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
Not sure if you will get responses that diverge greatly from the other forum site.  :-\
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Registration